Vegan gingerbread house? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know of a decent gingerbread recipe, as well as a recipe for hardening frosting that is normally made from egg whites and sugar? I dropped eggs for my new years resolution, as I am trying to slowly become vegan. So I'd like a recipe for gingerbread, since I want to make one for some reason.

Also, tips on what egg replacers to use for certain things would be nice. I know that some egg replacers act differently for cookies(etc.) compared with other food items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM

http://community.livejournal.com/veg...g/1679818.html

That entry on vegan cooking has some recipes in the comments that I plan on giving a whirl. I'm not too sure on the icing though, I haven't baked anything that needs hardening stuff yet. Hopefully with this bumpage someone more knowledgeable will come along

For egg replacing, I tend to use bananas where extra moisture doesn't hurt, in cookies and most cakes. I've used the flaxseed oil method in small biscuits though that were very light and fluffy. I know apple sauce can be used as well but I tend to use bananas wherever I think I can get away with it!
#3 Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, but I think I just found a good recipe. See, I need it by this weekend since a recently vegan friend of mine is coming over to make a gingerbread house! It's exciting!

"Basic Gingerbread House Dough

4 cups all-purpose flour

1 Tbs baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsps ground ginger

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1 cup molasses

2 Tbs soymilk, or as needed

In a large bowl, sift or stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.

In a saucepan, combine the shortening, brown sugar, and molasses over low heat.

Stir occasionally until the shortening is melted and the sugar is dissolved,

but still slightly grainy. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool to lukewarm.

Gradually add the molasses mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing until well blended.

Add enough soymilk to make a firm dough.

Gather the dough into a ball, and cover with plastic wrap.

Let the dough rest for at least 20 minutes. (When tightly sealed, the dough will keep

for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling.)

Preheat an oven to 325 F. Position rack in the center of the oven.

Have ready 2 ungreased baking sheets.

Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough 1/4" thick, and cut out desired shapes.

Bake until the edges are slightly brown, about 15 minutes.

Makes enough for 1 small gingerbread house (8" x 8").

Recipe from "Great Gingerbread," by Sara Perry"

"I found this recipe in a Vegetarian Times magazine. It was in a spread about healthy baking and was offered as an alternative to "royal icing" which is traditionally used for gingerbread, and contains egg. I hope that it works for you!

Good Luck!

No-Egg Icing 01-SEP-01 p. 50

1 1/3 Cups—Egg- & Dairy-free

If you prefer to avoid eggs, this is a good choice for decorating cookies. It dries to a nice matte finish.

4 cups confectioners’ sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Food coloring (optional)

1. Sift sugar into medium bowl. Add corn syrup, 3 tablespoons water and vanilla; and whisk to blend. Add more water 1 teaspoon at a time,

until icing has a smooth, yet thick consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Pipe decoratively onto cookies or thin with a little

water and paint over cookies. (Keep icing covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.)"

There was a person who replied to these recipes:

"In Reply to: Re: vegan gingerbread house posted by Deborah on December 4, 2002 at 5:42 pm:

Just wanted to let you know I made this gingerbread recipe and it was AWESOME! I added some ground cloves as this is traditional in my family.

I used 1.5 times the recipe (6 c flour, etc) and it made about 20 large gingerbread men. I baked them for a little under 15 minutes and nearly burned one batch because I was waiting for them to "look done" -- your advice to just wait until the edges are brown is much better.

I also used the "No-Egg Icing" posted in this thread, and it worked well, although I think I added one too many tablespoons of water so the icing was a little runny and didn't hold things that were really heavy. So if you're making this icing, beat it for a long time before you add any more water, because too sticky is better than too runny! The great thing was that it cleaned up so easily, since we ended up with icing all over the table, floor, chairs, plates, etc. I never thought I'd have corn syrup in my house, but it worked beautifully. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM

I have a vegan magazine right beside me that has a vegan gingerbread house recipe..

If you still need one (meaning if the two comments above aren't enough) private message me and I'll type out the recipe.

XD I'm just too lazy to type it out here if it's not going to be used. xD
#5 Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

well I might get to go to Wild Oats tomorrow, an hfs that sells EnerG egg replacer! So maybe I can make a traditional royal icing :] Oh and the recipe in my gingerbread making kit is vegan. Which is really neat.
#6 Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My kids and I make gingerbread houses every year. We found vegan pre-baked gingerbread kits this year but used to use the one on the PPK forums.

Here is the icing recipe I use and it works fine.

Vegan Royal Icing:

3 tbsp water

2 tbsp egg replacer powder

3 1/2 cups icing sugar

1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Add water to egg replacer and whip with electric beaters until it's thick. Add cream of tartar and 1/2 a cup of the icing sugar and mix until thick.

Add another 1/2 cup of icing sugar and whip until thick again. Finally add the last 3/4 of a cup icing sugar and beat until a thick icing forms.

If it's too thick, add another 1/8-1/4 cup water slowly while beating until it softens a little.

I have pictures on my blog HERE and HERE of some of the gingerbread parties we've done! (OK, I think some of the decorative candy may not have been, since each guest brought some to contribute!)
#7 Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Hopefully I'll have a better experience with the egg replacer than I did last night. I think my chocolate chip cookies failed because I added baking powder because my mom told me it would make them soft. I may try again today, but that's not likely.

I'm baking my own gingerbread this year for the first time. The recipe is naturally vegan, so yay!
#8 Old 01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah um. my gingerbread house failed like really badly. The frosting didn't hold up very well and tasted oddly like lemons.

We also had to add A WHOLE F*ING BUNCH OF FLOUR to the stupid gingerbread because it was like "I'M STICKY. BRAWLALALLALALLALALA!!!" So yeah.
#9 Old 01-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, Mrrple...it's always disappointing when that happens!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page