Tofu & recipes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-04-2003, 09:42 AM

I have seen many different types of Tofu in shops, wet mushy stuff, dry brittle stuff..one that says savoury...etc

What are the different ones for? How can I use them in a meal? I want to include more protein in my diet but not too much increase in fat. I need some good recipes, bearing in mind that I don't like protein foods that taste / look like meat. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

If you're looking for something low in fat, well, tofu isn't really low in fat. It isn't high in fat either and the fat it has is healthier than animal fat. Personally, I'm not a big believer in low-fat diets so I use tofu quite a bit. If you are looking for something low in fat and high in protein you might consider using TVP.

I'm lazy and most of the time I just toss tofu into soups. I normally use firm tofu because I like it best and it's more cost effective. Firm tofu has less water in it and is more nutrient dense, yet it usually costs the same as soft tofu. There are some dishes, like desserts, that you need to use soft tofu in though. I use the the tofu with calcium sulfate as a coagulent because it's an excellent calcium source.

There is some pressed tofu that you can just eat as it comes. It's flavored and you can just munch on it.
#3 Old 10-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmuncher View Post

I have seen many different types of Tofu in shops, wet mushy stuff, dry brittle stuff..one that says savoury...etc

What are the different ones for?

Regular tofu (in the "dairy case") is usually the standard block tofu. It comes in soft, medium firm, extra firm. It can be set with gypsum (sp) or calcium - that affects the taste slightly. Most veggies like calcium set because it allows them to get some extra calcium. This can be used a variety of ways. You can use it as is crumbling it (firm/extra firm) into hashes/stir-frys etc., slicing it and either breading/frying, sauteing, etc. (some like to press the extra moisture out of it first), you can cube it and put it in a miso soup, you can cube it and eat it cold as is with a dipping sauce (or just plain even). You can freeze and thaw this tofu which gives it a different texture (I don't like it - reminds me of a sponge, but many people do)

Silken Tofu (either fresh or in the asceptic packs) can be used in soups, blended and made into sauces and shakes, etc. You can mash it into veggie burgers or meatloaf/balls, etc.

There is a freeze dried type tofu (can't remember the japanese name for it) - this is reconstituted and put into soups/stews, etc. etc. etc. (this one also has a different texture than regular tofu)

There is a huge variety of tofu stuff out there. There's tofu pre-made desserts, etc. etc. etc.

There a a ga-zillion recipes out there. You can buy books if you have the $$ (most all vegan/vegetarian books feature recipes - and there are tofu cookbooks as well - check with Amazon.com). Do an internet search for "tofu recipes" and you will bring up many sites with recipes. If you want a specific recipe - you can ask here on the board; almost guaranteed someone will have it.

Moving away from Tofu - you can go into the larger soy-foods group to get this type of protein. Here are a few examples:

Soybeans - The source. They are cheap, and usually organic. Use them like any other dried bean - in stews/soups/as a side dish / etc. etc. You prepare them just like any other dried bean too (soak then cook).

Soy Milk/Soy Yogurt - Many varieties out there.

Tempeh - this is so danged good, I just don't know why it hasn't caught on. You can buy it ready made in many HFS's. You can also make it yourself (though it does take some doing - you need culture, and you need to ferment it)

Miso/Tamari/Soy Sauce - these are all Soy based though you won't get significant protein from them (and you'd SALTyourself to death trying)

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of soy stuff, but other's will surely post.

(it's 2:47am here in Japan, and my mind quit working at about midnight, but it's Saturday, and I don't have to go to work tomorrow - so I'm taking advantage)

p.s - Wheat Gluten / Seitan is also something to think about. While it has a chewy texture - it doesn't really taste like meat. If you make it yourself - you can really ensure it isn't meaty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2003, 05:38 PM

there's no sietan or tempheh or anything in my health food shop unfortunately, but it sounds really nice!

There is tofu, skilken type...and it's not in fridge

and also a moist one with water in the packet, in the fridge, would that be the type to stir fry? I pressed it and it's rather soft.

Thanks!
#5 Old 10-05-2003, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

On the label it should say what firmness it is. Firm and extra-firm is the best.

It's naturally rather soft - but pressing the excess water out helps.

Do you live in a small town? Is there a larger city close by you can go to where the HFS's have more variety? Also, the clerks at the HFS might be able to direct you.

I forgot to add in my last post:

Natto = it's good for you, but it is probably even harder to find (and it is an aquired taste )
#6 Old 10-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Well today I bought a spiced tofu burger .... And did not like it!

It tasted, looked & felt like scrambled egg! YUK! I don't like eggs! hehe..ah well..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page