HELP - Trapped in a McDonald's! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I won't be trapped IN a McDonald's...

I'm working my night shift now...and when attempting to run a work-related errand I discovered that my car wouldn't start...

In the morning, I'm going to either pop the clutch, or bypass the starter's relay with a screwdriver to try and get it going (what? I'm not 'butch' at all!!! ) ...then I have to drive it to a specific place that will give me an employee discount...

After a 12-hour shift, I will be very tired, and very out of food...

My only option within walking distance (that's open on Sundays - Stupid Bible Belt Blue Laws) is McDonald's... I'll be stuck there at least until early afternoon, and possibly the whole day. (I just want to sleep SO bad...)

I've checked out the ingredients on thier website, and I think I've come up with a suitable menu plan for the day...

I just REALLY wanted your opinions on this, as I'm trying very hard to be vegan, and I'm still learning.

Breakfast: English McMuffin w/ Strawberry Jelly, Orange Juice, Apple Pie (<--if available for breakfast)

Lunch/Early Dinner: Side Salad with Newman's Vinaigrette or Asian Ginger Dressing, Apple Pie (another one), Burger without the meat (just veggies) and some BBQ sauce, Soda.

Thanks for any input you might have!!!!!!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! NOTHING is open but McDonald's? Not a convenience store or gas station?

Sorry about your car. I keep food and water in my car at all times for emergencies and I bet you will now too!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

No...

There's a mall a half-mile away, but it will be closed.

The closest gas station type place is over a mile away...to far for a girl to walk alone on those blocks.

...gravity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

sorry to hear about your car. do you have a friend/family member /coworker that can go follow you to the car repair place then bring you home and then have them or someone else drop you off to pick it up when its ready?
#5 Old 12-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Pies should be available all day. You could get the Asian salad without chicken on it instead of wasting money on a meatless burger. I had one last night and some pineapple enpinada thingies. Not bad at all for being fast food.
#6 Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM

If you are lacto ovo then you should be OK. Back in the distant past I remember their veggie burger, fries and egg McMuffin were all edible. If you are vegan, I doubt you will have many, if any options. I don't know what it is like in the US though, the salads might be OK?

Actually, are their fries vegan? Not that I would ever eat there, but I'm just curious.
#7 Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Veggie View Post

Actually, are their fries vegan?

Not in the US.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

In the US the fries are made with beef fat, they are not vegetarian.

I don't know what all they have at McDonalds but they might have a nutrition data chart if you ask for it.
#9 Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

You won't be at home before you go? (Sorry, not quite understanding) You can't pack some trail mix or something, ANYTHING to hold you over so you don't have to buy/depend on all their food. (If you wait at McDonalds that long, you will have to buy something if you don't want them kicking you out. Some of them have loitering laws posted.)
#10 Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

You won't be at home before you go? (Sorry, not quite understanding) You can't pack some trail mix or something, ANYTHING to hold you over so you don't have to buy/depend on all their food. (If you wait at McDonalds that long, you will have to buy something if you don't want them kicking you out. Some of them have loitering laws posted.)

Nope...a tow truck met me at work, and I had to ride with them to get the the car repair place. Then, I curled up in the back seat of my broke car until they opened...

Thank you for your responses!

Yes, I am Vegan (in training...still making mistakes)

Here's how it went:

I was tired, cranky, and starving and ordered the plain McMuffin w/ Jelly, an apple pie, and an orange juice.

They gave me TWO apple pies, and I said I only wanted one. I was told that it's two for a dollar, and that even if I just got one, it would still be a dollar. Remember, they used to be .79 cents each OR two for a dollar. See how our portions and meal sizes are manipulated?!?!!?!?!?!

And yes, I ate both the pies.

My McMuffin was great with teh jelly...but I think they had 'butter' sauce on the cut/fried sides of it! I'm not sure. I doubt it was vegetable oil. If in this situation again (I HOPE NOT) I'd tell them that I'm allergic to milk and butter products, and the derivatives, and could I please have a McMuffin made without it.

The orange juice was fine...though, I once new a woman that worked for the company that produces the 'anti-bittering-agent' used in that brand of orange juice. I met her when we were in HAZMAT shipping class together. Her company just landed a big contract with that orange juice company, and she needed to be certified to ship HAZARDOUS materials, so she could ship the chemical to the orange juice factories....yum!

All in all, it was okay.

The meal left me sick to my stomach, but I had a nice sugar rush going so I could be nice to the mechanics (and not strangle anyone). The meal was so filling, and fattening, that I didn't have any lunch.

Final Note:

Under my placemat, there was a nutritional chart. Now, I've read these before, but I didn't have it memorized...so I looked up the items I was eating and drinking... WOW!!! I consumed between 1200-1500 calories in a single sitting!!! With NO nutritional value (except the orange juice), no fiber, valuable nutrients, etc... and mostly sat. fat and corn syrup!!!!

Once upon a time...I thought this was healthy eating....sad...

...gravity.

#11 Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

And you know what? Once in a while, 1500 calories of nothingness is absolutely fine. It's not gonna hurt you a bit. We do what we have to do.

I'd have drunk coffee with sugar until I was in a caffiene coma.
#12 Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Look at it this way, the stress of the situation was such that you NEEDED readily available empty calories!

#13 Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM

It is????? I read that McDonalds french fries are one of the very few things they have that are veg*n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

In the US the fries are made with beef fat, they are not vegetarian.

I don't know what all they have at McDonalds but they might have a nutrition data chart if you ask for it.

#14 Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Fries at McDonalds aren't veg*n. You can look it up on their site.
#15 Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret_lovr View Post

It is????? I read that McDonalds french fries are one of the very few things they have that are veg*n.

Oh yes...it was a very big deal when the Hindu community found out.

They took McDonald's to court claiming that McDonald's lied, telling people that the fries were 100% vegetarian...and when the Hindu community found out they'd been eating dead cow all this time they FREAKED!!!!

And rightfully so...

Cows are very sacred to them...one woman said it was like 'finding out you've eaten your dead mother.'

Anyways, McDonald's still prepares the fries that way...

In the 'fry factory' the fries are cooked in beef fat, then frozen and shipped to McDonald's where they are then cooked again in vegetable oil.

The beef fat, legally, only needs to be disclosed as "Natural Flavoring" which is why you'll find veg*ns calling food companies for clarification.

Still, during that time, if you had called McDonald's and asked about the natural flavoring, you would have been told the 100% vegetarian bit.

While I was in high school, I remember someone who worked at a McDonald's commenting "Yeah...vegetarians will eat the h*ll out of these french fries!!! It's like they can't get enough!!!" <--At the time, we didn't know about the flavoring...

...gravity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page