Help! Pls tell me I didn't just food poison my family!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Ok heres the deal. I had a ton of earth balance buttery spread leftover from thanksgiving and even before that. I had 2 tubs of the stuff. One tub had condensation in it. I decided to use the buttery spread for making chocolate chip cookies, the vegan butter didn't look weird or smell. so i made the cookies and my family ate them this evening and i am HOPING that they don't get sick. This is really bothering me, and no i did not tell the family. I know, I know, I have been really bad. I also used white bread flour that had been opened and sitting in my pantry for the cookies. I have tried contacting the earth balance company with no luck. Ok i guess i am just venting here, lets hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Ok heres the deal. I had a ton of earth balance buttery spread leftover from thanksgiving and even before that. I had 2 tubs of the stuff. One tub had condensation in it. I decided to use the buttery spread for making chocolate chip cookies, the vegan butter didn't look weird or smell. so i made the cookies and my family ate them this evening and i am HOPING that they don't get sick. This is really bothering me, and no i did not tell the family. I know, I know, I have been really bad. I also used white bread flour that had been opened and sitting in my pantry for the cookies. I have tried contacting the earth balance company with no luck. Ok i guess i am just venting here, lets hope for the best.
#3 Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

EB is made with vegetable oils, you would know by the taste whether it was rancid. The condensation you saw was just that, condensation. I don't use EB very often and have had old tubs of it sitting in my fridge for months without going bad. You have nothing to worry about. And even if the EB was full of nasty microcrobes, the baking process would have killed off most, if not all, of the ones that make you sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

EB is made with vegetable oils, you would know by the taste whether it was rancid. The condensation you saw was just that, condensation. I don't use EB very often and have had old tubs of it sitting in my fridge for months without going bad. You have nothing to worry about. And even if the EB was full of nasty microcrobes, the baking process would have killed off most, if not all, of the ones that make you sick.
#5 Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'd say you are safe. Before I started baking mine sat around for a long and still got used until they were finished.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#6 Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'd say you are safe. Before I started baking mine sat around for a long and still got used until they were finished.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#7 Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It lasts for a very long time. You'll be fine. Don't worry.
#8 Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It lasts for a very long time. You'll be fine. Don't worry.
#9 Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 PM

ATENTION!!!!

thank you everybody! I have one more Q. I also have had earthbalance butter sticks in my fridge that i bought before thanksgiving and used only 1/4 stick. Anyway i opened them up today and the color, taste and texture was different. It didn't taste like what i remember, it tasted like the paper it was wrapped in and the color was a lighter yellow than norm. I wonder if i should use it? I don't understand why it would change, it hasn't been in the fridge that long.
#10 Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 PM

ATENTION!!!!

thank you everybody! I have one more Q. I also have had earthbalance butter sticks in my fridge that i bought before thanksgiving and used only 1/4 stick. Anyway i opened them up today and the color, taste and texture was different. It didn't taste like what i remember, it tasted like the paper it was wrapped in and the color was a lighter yellow than norm. I wonder if i should use it? I don't understand why it would change, it hasn't been in the fridge that long.
#11 Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep earth balance in the fridge for months, as I buy a bunch when it's on sale. The buttery sticks seem to range in color from WHITE to a fairly dark yellow. I've never had a problem.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep earth balance in the fridge for months, as I buy a bunch when it's on sale. The buttery sticks seem to range in color from WHITE to a fairly dark yellow. I've never had a problem.

#13 Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never used EB sticks....BUT with real butter and the 'bad' margarines, it's normal to see some discoloration if you only use part of a stick...

The 'butter' is sensitive to the conditions in your fridge, and any part that it getting any kind of airflow will change color, texture, and flavor. This isn't harmful (unless it's been sitting there since Thanksgiving before last), but most people cut off the discolored parts before using them. And, I've used partially discolored sticks in baking...since it all mixes with the batter anyways.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

Even IF you somehow managed to get a rancid bit of EB with little colonies of stuff growing on it, you'd still be fine. Vegan products do not have the tendency to nurture the REALLY BAD things that cause dangerous food poisonings (salmonella, E.Coli, etc.).

You should only be concerned if your opened sticks of butter were being tossed about in the fridge with an open package of raw chicken or something.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#14 Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never used EB sticks....BUT with real butter and the 'bad' margarines, it's normal to see some discoloration if you only use part of a stick...

The 'butter' is sensitive to the conditions in your fridge, and any part that it getting any kind of airflow will change color, texture, and flavor. This isn't harmful (unless it's been sitting there since Thanksgiving before last), but most people cut off the discolored parts before using them. And, I've used partially discolored sticks in baking...since it all mixes with the batter anyways.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

Even IF you somehow managed to get a rancid bit of EB with little colonies of stuff growing on it, you'd still be fine. Vegan products do not have the tendency to nurture the REALLY BAD things that cause dangerous food poisonings (salmonella, E.Coli, etc.).

You should only be concerned if your opened sticks of butter were being tossed about in the fridge with an open package of raw chicken or something.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#15 Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh good grief!!

Earth Balance and flour aren't going to "go bad" in a month (since Thanksgiving) or even longer. I don't think you could GET "food poisoning" from Earth Balance, (by itself) could you?

I won't say how long things like this might be good, because I know there are people on these boards who are a lot more careful and particular than I am with food safety... But a month? Yes, it's going to be fine.
#16 Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh good grief!!

Earth Balance and flour aren't going to "go bad" in a month (since Thanksgiving) or even longer. I don't think you could GET "food poisoning" from Earth Balance, (by itself) could you?

I won't say how long things like this might be good, because I know there are people on these boards who are a lot more careful and particular than I am with food safety... But a month? Yes, it's going to be fine.
#17 Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Oh good grief!!

Didn't even see the part about the flour. The flour would concern me though, not because of the age of it, but because you used bread flour for cookies!! They texture will likely be off. There's too much gluten in bread flour to use it for cookies/cakes, etc... Don't you taste test food before you give it away?

#18 Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Oh good grief!!

Didn't even see the part about the flour. The flour would concern me though, not because of the age of it, but because you used bread flour for cookies!! They texture will likely be off. There's too much gluten in bread flour to use it for cookies/cakes, etc... Don't you taste test food before you give it away?

#19 Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I giggle whenever people get concerned about eating something that's more than a nanosecond old, or heaven forbid - a day past it's expiration date. EB is not going to kill anyone, whether it's one month old or one year old.
#20 Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I giggle whenever people get concerned about eating something that's more than a nanosecond old, or heaven forbid - a day past it's expiration date. EB is not going to kill anyone, whether it's one month old or one year old.
#21 Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

... maim maybe. Or permanently disable. But certainly not kill.

(I do hope the OP realizes I'm joking)

#22 Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

... maim maybe. Or permanently disable. But certainly not kill.

(I do hope the OP realizes I'm joking)

#23 Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM

Hey people, I do have a germ, bacteria problem and i am workin on it. I always take extra percations to make sure i or anyone else gets sick.
#24 Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM

Hey people, I do have a germ, bacteria problem and i am workin on it. I always take extra percations to make sure i or anyone else gets sick.
#25 Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

That's cool...it's good to ask questions if you're not sure about something!
#26 Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

That's cool...it's good to ask questions if you're not sure about something!
#27 Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Bread flour will be fine, I don't bother to buy different flours for all my baking. I just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies in between all the xmas bread I've been making.

ETA: TO the OP, I've used EB with condensation on it before and it was fine. I might pitch the half stick because if it smells funny it probably tastes funny. And I've kept flour for months when I've been too busy to bake. It's only at risk of going rancid if it's whole wheat, which needs to be refrigerated after opening because it still has the wheat germ. And you'd smell if it had gone off. The only time I've had to pitch flour is when we had a moth infestation.
#28 Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Bread flour will be fine, I don't bother to buy different flours for all my baking. I just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies in between all the xmas bread I've been making.

ETA: TO the OP, I've used EB with condensation on it before and it was fine. I might pitch the half stick because if it smells funny it probably tastes funny. And I've kept flour for months when I've been too busy to bake. It's only at risk of going rancid if it's whole wheat, which needs to be refrigerated after opening because it still has the wheat germ. And you'd smell if it had gone off. The only time I've had to pitch flour is when we had a moth infestation.
#29 Old 12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using the same 2 tubs of Earth Balance for 5 months now. A couple of nights ago, one tasted rancid so I tossed it. I ate enough of the EB that if rancidity could've made me sick, it would've. I am fine.
#30 Old 12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using the same 2 tubs of Earth Balance for 5 months now. A couple of nights ago, one tasted rancid so I tossed it. I ate enough of the EB that if rancidity could've made me sick, it would've. I am fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page