Favorite kid friendly meals... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I need new ideas for my 19 month old and my almost 4 year old. What is your favorite (or your kid's favorite) kid friendly meal? They both love to help so simple ideas would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

Christa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2003, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, c'mon, surely someone has an idea for me?
#3 Old 10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been watching this post too, because I need some good ideas for my 20 month old. I feel like he's only living off of PB&J, flax waffles, bagels w/spectrum spread & nutritional yeast, and fruit. Maybe the occasional carrot too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I just looked at the old post from May when you posted something similar. I mentioned my son who (at the time) loved falafel & brussels sprouts. Now he won't touch either one!
#5 Old 10-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hm... When I was a kid, one of my teachers told me broccoli looked like trees. So I went home and made my mom cook me some - I've loved it since. So I guess making anything fun or imaginative works.

Some of my favourite childhood meals-

Tacos! Because you got to assemble them yourself. My mom would lay out the shells and fixins and we'd just build our own masterpeices.

I also really loved "deli night." Basically, my mom would get really lazy and pick up a pack of rye bread and some deli meat slices on the way home, and let us build our own sandwiches. Granted, this wasn't veg*n, but it can be made so subsituting fake slices, or hummus, avocado slices, etc.

For lunch I always have and always will love PB and J. (Sorry this isn't helpful, Sally!). A grilled PB sandwich can be an awesome lunch, or dinner, with a bowl of vegetable soup.
#6 Old 10-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Ana

My two boys were unbelievably fussy for a long time - one would only eat white food (tofu, pasta, rice, tempeh, that was about it) and the other would only eat vegetables. Except potatoes - you'd think that being both white and a vegetable they'd both eat it, but no. Neither will (still) go within 10 feet of a potato unless it comes deep-fried. Grrrr.

Whoops - I digress...

Their favourites now:

Anything Mexican - stick it all on the table and let them make their own tacos, burritos, nachos, whatever

Salads - again, chop up a whole lot of things - raw veges, sprouts, marinated tofu, - and let them make their own. Admittedly, we did get a stage where one would fill his bowl with nothing but carrots and the other with nothing but cabbage, but they evened out eventually (but only after a too-much-betacarotene kid-going-orange episode).

Risotto they love, with spinach and pine nuts (if i can afford them)

Rice with chick peas (and a little cumin)

pizza or calzone (I use mashed roasted pumpkin with a bit of nutritional yeast as a base sauce)

marinated then baked tofu strips (they love these because they are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle)

Spaghetti with tomato sauce and tvp

stirfried vegetables and noodles with tofu and teriyaki sauce

sushi rolls

vietnamese spring rolls (like egg rolls but not fried, made with rice paper wrappers and filled with rice vermicelli, tofu, grated carrots, spring onion, mint etc)

They like vegetables raw rather than cooked, so when I'm chopping stuff for cooking I just let them pick enough for them worth out of the bowl.

Hope this helps!

xxA
#7 Old 10-02-2003, 06:31 PM

This is really cute and littler kids love it! You get a fake hot dog and cook it.Then you slice an X from the top of 1 end to the middle of hot dog.Set aside. Now you boil the ramen noodles from a pack of Top ramen only not the seasoning.After that is cooked you drain and have your child pick their favorite food coloring and you mix a few drops of it in the noodles.Its best done with blue for the theme of the recipe.It doesn't mix very well by the way it kind of marbles and flecks throughout the pasta.Now you put a pile of the blue noodles on a plate and arrange the fake hot dog on it and then you make eyes and a face with mustard and voila you have Octopus on the Sea! hehe! See why I didn't put the name of the recipe down first! hehe! Hope your kiddies love it! Tammie
#8 Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Ana!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 10-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

my "little ones" are nearly 7 and 10, so they eat just about everything the grown ups eat now.

But, I remember as babies, I gave them a lot of crackers, and fresh fruit. One thing they loved was a veggie pot pie.

They also loved anything that they could dip in a sauce; tofu fingers, steamed veggies, whole grain breads, homemade french fries (baked) and soups. A nice creamy broccoli or potato soup, or *chicken* noodle.
#10 Old 10-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't remember too well what my son ate at 19 months, but he's 3 1/2 now and he'll eat just about anything if it's wrapped in a tortilla. He's big on raw veggies, he'll eat tons of kale and spinach raw, but dosen't really like it cooked. He also still likes plain ol' tofu. Uncooked, no seasoning, plain firm tofu. He always asks for some when I'm cutting it up! I defenitly think finger foods are very appealing, along with dips. But it seems like with just about any kid, what they like one day, they'll stick their nose up at the next! I add extras to everything, he loves nutritional yeast ( once again, he'll just stick his hand in the big can and lick the powder off his fingers! ) . I know this is not the best food advice, but kids can be so fickle, it's just seems like a constant experiment to make 'em happy
#11 Old 10-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I just looked at the old post from May when you posted something similar. I mentioned my son who (at the time) loved falafel & brussels sprouts. Now he won't touch either one!

My son does the same thing. One day he just loved cashews.. the very next day he hated them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page