Tofu Help Please! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM

Hey ya'll,

I'm new to vegetarian cooking and I'm intimidated to go to the store and purchase tofu. I have a recipe (thanks to all those who recommended the Moosewood Restaurant collection!) that calls for cake firm tofu. Will it actually say this on the package? Are there other names for it? Are some brands better than others? Any general tips?

Thanks so much,

Sandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Extra firm is what you are looking for. Different companies use different words.

I use Nasoya because it is so common here in FL.

Also, it is organic.

I have not noticed any big difference between brands here.

Kevin
#3 Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

Tofu can be found in soft, medium , firm , and in some cases ,extra firm .

Yes , it is clearly marked on the packaging .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

You want the kind of tofu they sell in the refrigerated section thats packed in water. Nasoya and Soyboy are both good brands. DO NOT buy Mori-nu aseptic pack tofu (even if someone stuck it in the fridge), because they are SILKEN tofus, and though they have an extra firm silken, it's an entirely different thing. (Mori-nu is good for things like dips, desserts, and smoothies, but don't hold up to stir fries etc..)

Once you get it home, drain the liquid off the tofu and press it. To press it, slice the tofu into whatever thickness it needs to be for the recipe (if it needs to be in cubes, then slice it, and cut it the rest of the way after you press it), and put it between two plates that nest, or two cookie sheets that nest with a few layers of paper towel or a kitchen towel under and over it. Then put something REALLY HEAVY on top. I use a cast iron grill pan. A full kettle works well, so do heavy books. Whatever you've got around that will weigh it down. Leave it for at least a half an hour, then proceed with your recipe.

How is the recipe using the tofu? I might be able to give you more tips if I knew how it was going to be used.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

How is the recipe using the tofu? I might be able to give you more tips if I knew how it was going to be used.

Thank you, thank you. This is exactly the info I needed!

I bought the NaSoya brand, they had some already cubed and "meant for stir fries." The recipe is a pretty simple red curry with tomatoes. It calls for adding the tofu after establishing the sauce and then simmering for 5-10 minutes (adding tomatoes towards the end).

I assume I'm pressing it to get the extra water out so it doesn't water down whatever I'm cooking? I have two cookie sheets I can use.

Sandra
#6 Old 12-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm.. i've never tried to press pre-cubed tofu. They're not seasoned at all? Very odd.

The tofu will likely be soft simmer in sauce, which is perfectly fine. If you like it firmer, you cold pre-bake the tofu (400 degrees for about 20 minutes would probably do it for cubes) or pre-brown them in some canola oil (you want them to be quite dry before doing this or they'll spit all over). One thing I often do for recipes that have a sauce is make the sauce ahead of time and marinate the tofu in it before cooking it to give it more flavor. Or you could just follow the instructions through the first time, see how you like it, then make appropriate adjustments later

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM

Thanks again for the help. I feel prepared to open that little package now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page