vegetarian snacking - without carbs! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-15-2007, 06:24 AM

I'm a recent veggie (couple of months) and I'm just having problems with snacking. My problem is that I eat a lot more bread now but want to cut out some of the carbs.

before I'd have snacked on some tuna, sardines, chicken, just somthing that has no carbs in it now and then and having trouble trying to think of snacky food which is just not carby but quite natural.

and don't say veg. i get enough vegetables anyway.

what do y'all like to snack on that fits this description?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't sweat carbs, just avoid white bread and bleached flour stuff. But to answer your question: hummus, bean dip, soy crisps, and it's not like you can have too many veggies, stuff like pepper strips and pea pods go well with hummus.
#3 Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Fresh fruit makes a good snack as well as smoothies.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

The only vegetarian foods that are low to no carb are cheese (hard cheeses have less carbohydrates), heavy cream, eggs and protein powders.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

The only vegetarian foods that are low to no carb are cheese (hard cheeses have less carbohydrates), heavy cream, eggs and protein powders.

There's also tofu, tempeh, seitan, several kinds of veggieburgers and veggie/tofu dogs and nuts.
#6 Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

There's also tofu, tempeh, seitan, several kinds of veggieburgers and veggie/tofu dogs and nuts.

Those aren't always truly "low to no" carb, with the exception of some slices and processed soy patty/dog products.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The OP asked for things with NO carbs and the things you've listed aren't always truly "low to no" carb (some slices and processed soy patty/dog products are).

#8 Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The OP asked for things with NO carbs and the things you've listed aren't always truly "low to no" carb (some slices and processed soy patty/dog products are).

Meh... I suppose we have different definitions of what "low carb" means. If you google "low carb vegetarian" you'll find many websites listing the same things I did.
#9 Old 12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Meh... I suppose we have different definitions of what "low carb" means. If you google "low carb vegetarian" you'll find many websites listing the same things I did.

Yes, I'd say we do.

In all the nutrition/dietetic classes I have taken, to be considered a "low carb" diet a food has to have no more than a few grams per serving at most. This typically translates to a diet that has between 20-45 grams of carbohydrate daily. As a vegan, I eat that in a snack!

Again, the OP asked for NO carb foods, which is why I listed what I did. The foods you listed are certainly LOWER in carbs than a lot of veg*n foods, but aren't necessarily "low carb" or suitable for someone looking for a NO carb snack. I said "low to no" because even cheeses have a gram or so per serving in many cases.

#10 Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, I'd say we do.

In all the nutrition/dietetic classes I have taken, to be considered a "low carb" diet a food has to have no more than a few grams per serving at most. This typically translates to a diet that has between 20-45 grams of carbohydrate daily. As a vegan, I eat that in a snack!

Again, the OP asked for NO carb foods, which is why I listed what I did. The foods you listed are certainly LOWER in carbs than a lot of veg*n foods, but aren't necessarily "low carb" or suitable for someone looking for a NO carb snack. I said "low to no" because even cheeses have a gram or so per serving in many cases.

Oh, I see. Well, I'm also a vegan and that's probably why tofu does seem pretty low carb to me!
#11 Old 12-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Seeds and nuts make great snacks
#12 Old 12-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

My mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks consist mostly of fruits.

I am only eating breads if I eat a Tofurkey deli "meat" sandwhich for lunch, which I do about 3 - 4 x per wk, depending on how much time I have. And I try to stick with whole grain breads or at the least oat bran and wheats and avoid white breads. Sometimes my snacks might consist of one piece of bread with peanut butter.

I snack on peanuts and almonds, and try to avoid my favorite cashews. I can eat them by the can, so I try to avoid buying them so I won't over-indulge. I also have eaten the dried fruits.
#13 Old 12-16-2007, 04:36 PM

mmm...cheers guys.. pea pobs with hummus sounds like a plan. The next couple of weeks are the hard times cos im sitting around with little to do. When i'm back in work in jan the whole vegetarian thing will be so much easier.
#14 Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

If you consume dairy, low-fat cheese paired with a low sugar fruit is a good option. I personally like low fat cottage cheese with strawberries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page