The 'what makes you fart' thread. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 AM

So I became a vegetarian again about 2 months ago (am 22) after not being one since I was 15, (but was from about 9 - 15), and then before long I started farting lots, not loud, but deadly, and not just deadly, but evil!

So I gave up quorn (hope people not in UK know the brand, its made out of mycoprotein I think), and I gave up marmite (which only just started eating), and now and then it went away and came back and I become a lost soul looking for an answer.

Today I think I worked out that its the Soya and Linseed bread that I have started eating copious amounts of to keep protein levels up. Am happy that I think I have it sussed, but its gonna make my vegetarianism more difficult.

Any similar stories. What makes you fart?

adampom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

This is pretty hilarious. I'm going to say that raw veggies do it to me. Like salad, I can't eat salad.
#3 Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

popcorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

well, beans, of course.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Ankle Biter

Broccoli - but only when I haven't had it for a while and then eat a lot.

Veg*ns fart. Sad but true.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Raisins & spinach. Beans is a given but much better if I remember to take Beano.
#7 Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

beans, cabbage, broccolli, raisens, grapes, potatoes, raw veggies

LOTS of stuff!

Take Beano and there will Be No Gas
#8 Old 12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

for the record--I have nevewr tried Beano
#9 Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

vegetarians eat a lot of fiber and that is what makes you fart. im not really sure what you can do besides take an anti-gas pill (is beano vegan?). i know for me after a while my body got used to having more fiber and i stopped farting so much
#10 Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM

Cabbage! When I first went vegan though just about everything made me fart

Embrace your vegetarian farts!
#11 Old 12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Yeah, good luck with that!!!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Kris View Post

Raisins & spinach. Beans is a given but much better if I remember to take Beano.

Beano is not vegetarian but Bean-zyme is: http://www.bean-zyme.com/index.htm
#13 Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Cabbage! When I first went vegan though just about everything made me fart

not really wanting to do that. and anti-gas pills - never did i know!
#14 Old 12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

split pea soup. i only eat it, if I'm going to be alone a lot the next day.
#15 Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I am probably of a minority, but beans do not make me fart a lot. Maybe just a bit in passing, but I've noticed since I've given up meat and adding more beans to my diet instead, I do not get as gassy as when I ate them less before becoming veggie. Getting used to them, I guess. I can especially eat pintos with very minimal tooting.

I take presciption stomach medication and sometimes this med causes me to get gassy and bloated, so I try to not add to the discomfort. I was hoping a another benefit of a vegetarian lifestyle would be easing my stomach acid reflux disease so I could get off the med, but I am finding certain soy products are not my friend! However, I am thinking that soon I can go back on over-the-counter med, and my doctor said I should stop eating meat and drinking so much fluids. Veggies do not back up on me the way some things did, such as bacon, and my dinner is not backing up on me the way it used to since I've stopped eating meat. Doctor told me the meat is one culprit of back-up due to how long it takes the stomach to break it down. Huh... Anyway...that's a story for another thread.

However, I take the gas-iness in spurts and have been narrowing it down to a few culprits... If I eat large amounts of cucumbers, unless they are what my mom calls "belchless" cucumbers, which she grows in our backyard garden in summers. If I eat large amounts of raw veggies such as cucumbers, carrots and celary together.

When entertaining in their homes, all of my family members put out large trays of raw veggies for the holidays (as well as crackers, cheese and chips n' dips) and I'm the biggest raw veggie eater of the family (I'll even eat raw potatoes of all sorts!) and usually the one chasing people out of the room with "silencers" ...it's always been that way, even before I became veggie.

Another problems seems to be soy, but in not in all forms. Some of the faux meat products cause me problems if I eat them a lot; however, so far, Tofurkey products I've tried so far do not give me gas, nor do the Boca vegan burgers. So I recently went shopping and when I purchased my faux meats I purchased Torfurkey and Boca products to try their other concoctions.

One other small thing, sometimes, if I eat too many raw apples in a day, I will belch alot... but farting is not a side effect... LOL! Thank goodness!
#16 Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Beano is not vegetarian but Bean-zyme is: http://www.bean-zyme.com/index.htm

Well, that just about figures. I always had trouble with certain foods, but when I stopped eating obvious sources of meat in August, it never occurred to me to check the blankedy-blank label of Beano. Well, I'm still on a steep learning curve. As soon as I run out of Beano, I'll be ordering some of the other kind!
#17 Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

For me it isn't particularly any one food as it is mixing high sugar foods with gas producing foods. I am usually able to reduce gassy time holding off on eating sugary things or eating other things after having sugary food.
#18 Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM

To the op...is that Vogel's bread? I love that stuff! I don't get the poots from it though. What are you eating on/with the bread?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#19 Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Spammers and trolls.
#20 Old 12-13-2007, 02:06 PM

So, you're a trollo-spammera-vegetarian?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#21 Old 12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I'm a trollo-spammera-vegan.
#22 Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Beano is not vegetarian? Oh well, guess I will not be using that.
#23 Old 12-13-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

To the op...is that Vogel's bread? I love that stuff! I don't get the poots from it though. What are you eating on/with the bread?

nah its the burgen one. i prefer getting vogel as it has no E no. whilst the burgen one does. Vogel is a bit harder to find in my local shops and also has (ever so slighly it doesnt really matter) less protein in it. If my very scientific test proves that it is the bread that's causing my little bottom burps I'll see if the vogel one has the same effect. I'm trying to completely cut out E numbers anyway.

And on it? Anything and everything: cheese, cottage cheese, marmite, peanut butter, hummous, avocado etc

not all at the same time mind...
#24 Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I must be the only non-gassy vegan; I can eat a whole bowl of beans with a side of raw veggies and broccoli and suffer no ill side effects.
#25 Old 12-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Onions!! Can't do it, not just because of the gas though, they also give me horrid indigestion. Large quantities of raw garlic as well. Beans don't seem to bother me at all. Perhaps a few extra poots but nothing outrageous. I'm find with broccoli and the related veggies. OH MAN though.. soy delicious ice cream... I could clear a room!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#26 Old 12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I must be the only non-gassy vegan; I can eat a whole bowl of beans with a side of raw veggies and broccoli and suffer no ill side effects.

Or maybe your body is just saving up for that perfect moment.
#27 Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha. I don't really take notes.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#28 Old 12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnbug View Post

for the record--I have nevewr tried Beano

i have and i think it works.
#29 Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

"Beano" is made with fish gelatin.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#30 Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I went from a diet of 60%-75% meat meat meat, with almost NO fiber at all...except for my expensive yet ineffective fiber pills...

...to suddenly eating like a gourmet vegan "cold tofu."

That was a month ago...so...

...EVERYTHING makes me fart!!!!

And oh...they're BAD...

...real bad...

I'm getting used to it though...

...it's like a normal part of walking...

But, one day in Kroger (grocery store), I swear those brown over-ripe bananas were hard and green when I first walked in...

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page