can someone explain the difference between a frying pan, saute pan and a wok? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Like i've mentioned in recent post I just started cooking(and really enjoying it) and I want to get some essential kitchenware so that I could enjoy cooking even more, so I know that all clad stainless steal is the way to go. but I only have enough money to buy one maybe two pieces of cookware from all clad. in which lies my question. what's the difference between a frying pan, a saute pan and a wok? thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried to post it here for you myself but I'm a little computer illiterate. If you go to google and select the images option you can type frying pan, wok, and sautee pan in one at a time and see what they look like. Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. I'm not much a cook either. Peace & Love!!
#3 Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No, not stainless steel all the way. You need at least one heavy-bottomed cast iron frypan.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

No, not stainless steel all the way. You need at least one heavy-bottomed cast iron frypan.

I do, how come?
#5 Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I would buy cookware from places like T.J. Maxx and Kohls if money is a concern, you can get exactly the pieces you need and then upgrade what you use most later. They usually have some fairly nice things for under $20. You really don't need top-of-the-line cookwear for everyday cooking. It's nice to have but you'll do fine without it as long as you don't buy thin, super inexpensive cookwear (that will heat unevenly and burn).

To answer your question:

wok

frying pan

A saute pan looks like a straight sided frying pan. I wouldn't get one, you can just use a frying pan to saute in.
#6 Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post

I do, how come?

They are so very, very nice to cook in.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Agreed I've read that they also add iron to your food- not much but some. I have not verified that. They aren't that expensive so check it out. You'll have it forever
#8 Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

I would buy cookware from places like T.J. Maxx and Kohls if money is a concern, you can get exactly the pieces you need and then upgrade what you use most later. They usually have some fairly nice things for under $20. You really don't need top-of-the-line cookwear for everyday cooking. It's nice to have but you'll do fine without it as long as you don't buy thin, super inexpensive cookwear (that will heat unevenly and burn).

I've found some really nice cookware/kitchen gadgets at Ross too. And the prices are always good, the only drawback is that you don't know for sure what they're going to have in stock til you go look. (Which I personally find fun, but some people might not).
#9 Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post

I do, how come?

Quote:

I've heard that they're good but I've never used a cast iron pan. What is it besides the iron content that makes them good?

Also, I have bought stuff from Kohls and found it ok, but it doesn't last very well. I bought a non-stick wok that cooked well and heated evenly but the teflon started flaking a year later. Most of my cookware has been gleaned from garage sales, like my crock pot and my 6 qt. soup pan.
#10 Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

important note about cast iron pans: you shouldn't use soap to clean them and they need to be 'seasoned' (coated with oil after use)

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#11 Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Give peas a chance

A cast iron skillet disperses the heat more evenly than aluminum pans. In an aluminum pan, food directly under the flame will cook faster than in other parts, so you need to move it around more. With an iron skillet, you can set it in place and let it go. I think the most noticeable difference is on pancakes. The iron skillet provides an even brown, whereas the aluminum will leave uneven light/dark areas.

Iron skillets take longer to heat up, but they hold on to the heat longer. It's great if you want to keep something warm for awhile. It's not uncommon for an iron skillet to still be hot 20 minutes after you turn off the heat. They require more maintenance too. You can't put them in a dishwasher, and you can't leave them in contact with water or they will rust. And you need to oil them occasionally.

They are very durable is you take care of them. My mom still has her mom's iron skillet. I think it has to be 50 years old, at least.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#12 Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 AM

I LOVE my cast iron.

It's so versatile! I can take it camping..use it as a skillet...or pop it in the oven!

And as a previous poster (LadyFail)e said you shouldn't wash them with soap...just oil it afterwards.
#13 Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

definately hit up tj maxx and homegoods type stores...they have lots of good kitchenware.

i also have an iron pan which has a nonstick coating which is awesome (if nonstick coating is not a concern for you). but the regular ones will last you forever and are a great investment.

although, i dont think iron pans are good for asian/ salty or overly acidic cooking.

for me, i use most often a (about 10inch) frying pan. its nice to have a small one too.

a large, straight sided frying pan with a lid is really versatile, imo. you can make all kinds of sauces, saute/fry in it, cook small pasta, rice, risotto with the one pan.
#14 Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up to the cast iron--I don't have one here at school, but my mom has one at home--it makes me crave veggie burgers. Somehow food doesn't taste quite as greasy with the cast iron.
#15 Old 12-07-2007, 01:30 PM

btw...you can use soap on your cast iron pans, you just have to rinse them really well. I just did some research on this last year, actually. The soap can get into the pan, and if it's not rinsed out, could give your food a funny taste. It doesn't harm the pan. There is some more info here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...stIronPans.htm

If you could only choose one "frying" type pan, I'd definitely go for the cast iron.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page