pumpkin vs pumpkin pie filling - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

i wanted to try this pumpkin cookie recipe i found so when i was out getting groceries i grabbed what i needed for the cookies. but when i looked at the recipe again at home i realized i bought the wrong kind of pumpkin. i always thought baking=canned pumpkin NOT pie filling unless you're making pie (duh). but the recipe actually calls for pumpkin pie filling.

will it still work with the canned pumpkin? what's the difference anyway i figured the pie filling just had sugar and spices added to it, can i just add something to the canned pumpkin to make it usable? or should i, as my husband suggested, wait for a food drive to come along (anyone who's ever volunteered for a food drive knows that for some reason a lot of people think poor people need canned pumpkin)

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Typically, it's pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, sometimes allspice and clove) and sugar that is added to canned pumpkin to make it "filling". I'd just spice it up myself.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you should be fine with the plain pumpkin...it's what I use anyway when making a pie...I personally am not a fan of the filling. I'm not 100% sure but the filling probably has spices, like nutmeg, cinnamon, perhaps some cloves...you can add whatever you like spice wise. I never use the amount of nutmet and cloves that recipes call for...I use less but that's just my preference. I can't imagine it making much of a difference at all in your recipe. I'm going to go check to see if I have a can of each.....

Looks like AHIMSA beat me to it...and with a lot less words!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Karen, I'm with you on the nutmeg and clove...I use more cinnamon and less of all the rest!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand you could probably get away with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a fourth of a teaspoon each nutmeg, ginger, and clove, but I don't know how much you're making. Just use the amount of sugar you think a batch of cookies needs if you think the recipe calls for too little.
#6 Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks guys. i'm not going to make them right now, i was going to make them when we had company coming cause my hubby won't eat them so i don't want to be stuck with a whole batch to myself (that'd be a shame lol) plus i like having the house smell like fresh baked something or other when people come over

but they've come and gone so i gotta wait til we have someone over again or til we go visit someone. i will try with the canned pumpkin and let you know though

~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

You have other options for that canned plain pumpkin, - I have recipes for pumpkin pancakes (these are fabulous), pumpkin yeast bread (also very very good), pumpkin quick breads, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cheesecake. I'm going to be making mini pumpkin cheesecakes this weekend.
#8 Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

well see hubby doesn't like pumpkin in any shape or form, it's just the 2 of us and i don't want to be .. er.. forced.. to eat a whole batch of whatever myself so i'll wait til i have someone to share with

~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

You have other options for that canned plain pumpkin, - I have recipes for pumpkin pancakes (these are fabulous), pumpkin yeast bread (also very very good), pumpkin quick breads, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cheesecake. I'm going to be making mini pumpkin cheesecakes this weekend.

I would love to have your recipes for pumpkin pancakes, and pumpkin bars if ou dont mind sharing....!
#10 Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Pumpkin Pancakes (you may want to double this if you're feeding a larger group):

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 Tablespoon brown sugar

½ teaspoon salt

1 egg

¾ cup milk

½ cup pumpkin

1 Tablespoon oil

½ teaspoon cinnamon (or mixed pumpkin pie spice)

Whisk together. Bake on griddle.

I found the pumpkin bars recipe at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Bars-I/Detail.aspx This one makes 2 9x13 pans, but you can easily cut it in half. I brought these into work and they were gone in no time!
#11 Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

well see hubby doesn't like pumpkin in any shape or form, it's just the 2 of us and i don't want to be .. er.. forced.. to eat a whole batch of whatever myself so i'll wait til i have someone to share with

Could you freeze them? This wouldn't work for me personally because I'd probably devour them right out of the freezer if I really liked them. I'd be gorged, and have a frostbitten gastric lining too.

(Just kidding, mostly.)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page