wontons??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-26-2003, 02:02 AM

I have been craving these for weeks. I think the chinese places around here make them with pork I've always hated pork but, when I ate meat I always loved wontons!...Does anyone have a good recipe? It doesn't have to be vegan. (this guy is so cute!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

i have a recipe for japanese-style wontons (gyoza) up at www.veganmania.com

did you want the deep fried kind? or the potsticker kind?
#3 Old 09-26-2003, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, no you don't have to make wonton w/ meat! Many Chinese veg (mostly buddhists) use mushroom, green onion, and tofu, and sometimes eggs (for ovo-veg). Don't buy the cheap wonton wrapper from Safeway, those are gross. If you can find an Asian store or market will be great, they usually carry real stuff.

Chinese parsley is mandatory for wonton, BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2003, 09:08 AM

Oh I love, love, love potstickers! But I haven't had any since I went veggie. In fact Chinese food is one of the cuisines I miss the most. I'm afraid to go to Chinese restaurants cause I don't trust that there isn't chicken or beef broth used in what looks like a veggie dish but making it at home just doesn't taste the same. I haven't found a restaurant that serves potstickers w/o pork.
#5 Old 09-26-2003, 11:54 AM

"Many Chinese veg (mostly buddhists) use mushroom, green onion, and tofu, and sometimes eggs ".

That sounds gooood. So what do you do?? Put the filling in the wrappers, wrap 'em up and fry 'em or whatever?? I've never made anything like this before, so Im kinda clueless... ...lol
#6 Old 09-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, you wrap the fillings into the wrapper, the key is NOT to put too much. And, you smear 2 drops of water at the edge of the wrapper and fold and press.

toss is boilling H2O for couple of minutes, Good luck, hehe
#7 Old 09-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never made my own potstickers, but I've gotten frozen veggie potstickers that were really delicious. The brand is Ling-Ling. I'm not sure they're vegan (I haven't gotten them in a while). They're really easy to make, just heat them in boiling water, then brown them/crisp them up in a skillet. They come with a nice dipping sauce, too.
#8 Old 09-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

one time we had leftover wonton wrappers and leftover sweet and sour sauce from when my roommate made chinese food. so i fried the wontons just alone in a bit of oil until they were golden brown and just dunked them in the s&s. sooooo good.

you can order them that way as well, i do all the time. once i forgot that some places put pork in them so didn't think to ask for the meatless ones. didn't clue in til i took a big bite and wondered why it was chewy in the centre. ack!! so always remember to ask before ordering

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 09-26-2003, 05:14 PM

I make mine like freemouse does, only I deep fry them.

In my opinion, deep fried wontons need something chewy in the centre of them. Yves chicken strips, a little tofu w/ soy sauce, portabello mushroom pieces, etc.
#10 Old 09-26-2003, 05:28 PM

If I use tofu, what would be best? (in a relatively new veggie so Im still learning) Firm,x-tra firm, silken,....etc.

(you guys are so helpful, I love you guys....)lol
#11 Old 09-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Gyoza are a Japanese dumpling similar to the Chinese wonton, traditionally stuffed with pork. The TVP and seasonings in this recipe make them taste very similar to the "real" thing. They are time-consuming to prepare, only because of the fiddly stuffing, but they are well worth it. Take them to the next potluck you go to!

40 gyoza wrappers (you can buy them in Asian markets and even some grocery stores...they are circular and very thin).

1 cup dry TVP or TSP (texurized soy protein) granules

2 cups boiling water

2 tbsp sesame oil

1 cup mushrooms, minced

1 small onion, minced

1 carrot, finely grated

3" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced

3 tbsp soy sauce

1-2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (white vinegar will do in a pinch)

Place the TVP in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Stir, and let sit for a few minutes until softened.

In a skillet, heat the sesame oil and add the vegetables, sautéing until the onions are translucent. Add the softened TVP, soy sauce and vinegar, and cook several minutes on high heat until all the liquid has boiled off. Stir frequently during this, to keep the mixture from burning or sticking to the pan.

Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Lay a gyoza wrapper on a clean surface, then place 1 tsp (no more than that or they'll burst when cooking) of the TVP filling in the centre. Dip your finger in some water and wet the edges of the wrapper so that it will stick to itself better. Fold the wrapper into a half-circle around the filling, and press and crimp the edges together until they are well sealed. Repeat this process until all the wrappers are used up. You may have a little filling leftover. Just eat it now.

In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil, and place as many gyoza in the pan as will fit. Fry for 1-3 minutes on each side, until they are well-browned, then pour 3/4 cup of water into the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan, and serve hot!

You probably won't be able to fit all the gyoza in the pan at once, so keep them warm on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven while you fry up the remaining gyoza. This is also an effective way to re-heat them.

Serve with a dipping sauce composed of 1/3 cup soy sauce, ⅛ cup vinegar and 1 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar, mixed in individual small bowls for each person eating.
#12 Old 09-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If you use tofu, you should get the ex-firm stuff (or just press the water out of the soft ones).

Kreeli, I grew up on these stuff but I am learning many NEW things from you!! you go, girl!

Krista, I know you I know you frying warrior! Good ideas, though

OK, folks, here's your ultimate Chinese-dinner veggie-shield:

"Wo Bu Chi Rou"----- I don't eat meat

"Wo Chi Su"----------I am vegetarian

"Wo Chi Chuan Su"--- I am vegan

"Wo Chi Zhai"---------I am a buddhist vegan, they will be really careful not to offend buddhist vegans, so you may want to remember this.

yeah right, "Wo" is "I", "Chi" is eat, "Su" is veggie.

dunk in and enjoy!
#13 Old 09-26-2003, 05:44 PM

Wow! That sounds perfect! Thank you! I looked on your site for the recipe but couldn't find it. Thanks for posting it. That site is excellent also. I saved it to my favorites!
#14 Old 09-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I would recommend any or all of these ingredients...

Sorry I can't give amounts, because no-one tells me they just eyeball it...

Tofu or TVP

Chives

Onion

Fresh Garlic

Grated carrot

Green cabbage

(yummy for this)

Freshly grated black pepper

celery

Sweet potato noodles or rice vermicelli

There is usually a recipe on the wonton package...

You could just substitute the tofu or tvp for the meat...

Water works as a sealant if you don't want eggs, but the

pastry usually has eggs in it I think...

Can be frozen...

These are great in soup as dumplings, fried, or steamed...

Try making a dip with soy sauce, vinegar, roasted sesame seeds, & red pepper flakes sans the seeds...(optional)

Good luck...
#15 Old 09-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

"Wo Bu Chi Rou"----- I don't eat meat

"Wo Chi Su"----------I am vegetarian

"Wo Chi Chuan Su"--- I am vegan

"Wo Chi Zhai"---------I am a buddhist vegan, they will be really careful not to offend buddhist vegans, so you may want to remember this.

yeah right, "Wo" is "I", "Chi" is eat, "Su" is veggie.

thank you so much for this, freemouse. is this mandarin, or cantonese?
#16 Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Very cool freemouse, I learned something! Thank-You....
#17 Old 09-27-2003, 12:29 AM

I can't wait to make these!!! I'll let everybody know how they turn out! Im so excited. I'm on a mission now, DAMMIT!!...lol
#18 Old 09-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

thank you so much for this, freemouse. is this mandarin, or cantonese?

Kreeli, those are Mandarin but the cantonese version sounds about the same for these, so should do.

Joyful, you are welcome!

In those good old days, I used to eat a bowl of wonton on the way to school early every morning, wash down with hot fresh creamy soymilk--- Ouch, the memo of those street food kills me!! Oh well, hehehe.......

#19 Old 09-27-2003, 10:34 PM

Kreeli!!!! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!!!! YOU JUST STARTED A NEW ADDICTION!!! I JUST got done making the recipe you gave me. I cant believe how good these things are! These totally cured my wonton jones and then some. And they were pretty easy to make. A tad time consuming but so worth it!! Thank you so much. Thank you to everyone who responded. I wish you all were here to try them!

ALRIGHT WE HAVE BROCCOLI TOO!!! I just noticed that!!! Vebo has a friend!!!!
#20 Old 09-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

it's what i'm here for, sistah. thanks for the accolades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page