Caffeine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2003, 03:44 PM

I've been thinking recently about caffeine. I would like to give it up, because frm what I hear it isn't too good for you. Can any one give me some facts about it and health etc, because I would like to finalise my idea of giving it up. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in your boat too, veganmuncher. I definitely haven't decided to give up my favorite chocolate-covered espresso beans yet, but I haven't had coffee in a week, and I'm doing fine! I've been drinking tea instead. It's not caffeine free, but it definitely doesn't pick me up like coffee does (or let me down like coffee does) but I feel much better drinking it instead and my teeth don't feel nasty after.
#3 Old 09-25-2003, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I just felt like sharing that I had a uh bad experience with caffeine,,,ysee, it was that time of the month and I took 2 excedrin which have a buncha caffeine. So, for most of the day my hands were shaking, I was sweating alot, and felt all twitchy. arggh. It was horrible, tired and hypersensitive at the same time.

Im not really thinking of giving it up, just am going to remember that 2 excedrin at the same time is a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-25-2003, 10:05 PM

How timely this post is....I just fell off the coffee wagon yesterday! I was pregnant and caffeine free from July till yesterday. I drank decaf instead but I needed a little pick me up. I am convincing myself that one cup a day is o.k.. I really love the smell and taste of good coffee, I dont think decaf is as tasty.

Maybe I should have tried a little miso broth instead oh well
#5 Old 09-26-2003, 02:22 AM

Thanks guys..

I don't see the difference between decaf and normal...does decaff have absolutely no caffeine? So if i so give up caffeine, i can still have decaf? I'm a big coffee lover, Plus this means no more coke but I don't like it much anyway!
#6 Old 09-26-2003, 08:03 AM

Caffeine is not the most healthy thing to be putting in your system but I think in moderation it is ok. I limit myself to 1 cup of coffee/day and I don't drink soda. Occasionally I have tea but there are more benefits to drinking tea that outweigh the caffeine.

Also, I'm not absolutely positive about this but I believe that decaf does have a very small amount of caffeine in it.
#7 Old 09-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I seem to remember that decaf has 10% of the caffeine of normal coffee in it. I also seem to recall that the chemical process used to make decaf decaf aren't that healthy.

I could be wrong on both counts, though.
#8 Old 09-26-2003, 09:54 AM

darnit, now i have to give up all coffee ah well it's for the best
#9 Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

All decaf contains some caffeine in varying levels depending upon brand and method of caffeine extraction. If you decide to go decaf get a brand that is Swiss Water Decaf. It must say Swiss Water somewhere on the package, otherwise it has been decaffeinated chemically which isn't very healthy and produces an inferior product. The Swiss Water method basically involves soaking the cafferine from the beans.
#10 Old 09-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

We had another similar thread on this issue:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...5&page=2&pp=25

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/caffeine.htm

Caffiene is one of the most highly studied substances of all time, and they still have a hard time showing it to be bad for you in moderation. And like tea, coffee contains antioxidants.

The worst thing about coffee is the social-environmental aspects. But one can help improve these problems by buying one of the many fairtrade, organic, shadegrown coffees out there. Like Equal Exchange.

I am wondering why people who are concerned about health (not directing this towards anyone in particular here) are often quick to take herbs and other natural substances for health but quick to fear another natural substance, caffeine. I feel each substance should be judged on its own merits regardless of how "natural" it is.

And despite what yerba mate sellers claim, it also contains caffeine.

Veganmuncher- what health benefits do you feel you will gain from not drinking cafeine? Are you having trouble sleeping or need to reduce anxiety? Are you going to replace it with vegetable juice or something else much healthier? Or do you just feel you will gain some amorphous sense of healthiness? If the latter, you may want to do some research before giving yourself grief over a simple pleasure.
#11 Old 09-26-2003, 04:59 PM

haha I just had a cuppa about 2 hrs ago! Woops!

Thaila: Nah, I'm not having problems sleeping or anything, I'm fine. I just decided caffeine is probably not very good for you and I don't wana be eating unhealthy stuff..but I only have about 2 or 3 cups a week. Also cos it's bad for iron absorption, I worry...
#12 Old 09-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I "gave up" caffeine years ago, mostly just because I realized I could still drink non- or low-caffeine versions of most beverages. I didn't really have a concern with it, I just figured why consume it if I don't have to.

I agree that caffeine is a natural substance, and it can have benefits. For example, caffeine is indicated in the relief of tension headaches. These days, if I have a headache or a REALLY NEED a pick-me-up, I will consume some caffeine. I think it works better when I "need" it because I don't have a tolerance for it.
#13 Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post

I "gave up" caffeine years ago, mostly just because I realized I could still drink non- or low-caffeine versions of most beverages. I didn't really have a concern with it, I just figured why consume it if I don't have to.

I agree that caffeine is a natural substance, and it can have benefits. For example, caffeine is indicated in the relief of tension headaches. These days, if I have a headache or a REALLY NEED a pick-me-up, I will consume some caffeine. I think it works better when I "need" it because I don't have a tolerance for it.

I searched this thread because I've just fallen off the coffee wagon after being a several-cups-a-day girl and having swapped it for tea a little while ago. Little by little it's started coming back ( a weak coffee here, an extra tea there ) and I was living the way SunnK above was, definitely feeling more of a benefit when I 'need' it and really loving that BUT...I've just decided that I don't do well with 'rules' ( I love them far too much..  ) so I'd rather not delete coffee from my life but just try to listen to my body and determine why it wants it and whether that's necessary. 

Crux: Caffeine is clearly an individual thing! Some people I know find it spirals them into depression, I seem to've found that depression seems to find me when I completely cut coffee out ( no, it's not withdrawal, this was after about 6 months and it was the only thing I'd changed. It lifted the second I brought it back. CHemical schmemical, I feel better with that kind of high, apparently ) . I felt burned out drinking as much as I was but a lot was going on then and I've taken steps to sort it out so that coupled with drinking less of it..is okay by me :) .

I hope you found your balance :) ! 

#14 Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I tried going raw for a month about a year ago and I only lasted without coffee for about 4 or 5 days before I broke down. I love the stuff! I only drink a cup or two a day and I've weaned myself off Starbucks so it's not so ridiculously expensive anymore, that's something. I figure I'll work on improving my diet in other ways and then deal with that caffeine addiction of mine later... Or never wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I must be the only one on whom caffeine/coffee has almost no effect?  I could drink it late at night and it wouldn't interrupt my sleep at all.

But I think the verdict is still out on moderate amounts of coffee?  It seems to me I've read it may have health benefits?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I must be the only one on whom caffeine/coffee has almost no effect?  I could drink it late at night and it wouldn't interrupt my sleep at all.

But I think the verdict is still out on moderate amounts of coffee?  It seems to me I've read it may have health benefits?

I'm the opposite. With caffeine, I have panic attacks, can't fall or stay asleep, and feel like my heart is pounding out if my chest.

They love to study coffee and wine for health benefits, and they do find some. grin.gif
#17 Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Haha, this is a Goldilocks scenario. For me, caffeine is juuuuuust right tongue3.gif

It does make me a little anxious sometimes when I drink too much or don't eat enough but overall I seem to have a tolerance built up. It just makes me feel really peppy and I don't generally have issues sleeping unless I drink it at midnight or something. It's perfect for me, that makes it hard to want to quit.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#18 Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 PM

I recently gave up caffeine and it was miserable...for a little while. I was a bit grumpy and I had a lot of headaches for a few weeks, but it's definitely better not to be a slave to that mid-day espresso. Instead when I feel like I need a pick-me-up I'll just wander outside into the sunlight for a few minutes and stretch. Almost has the same effect considering I have a home desk job and I'm cooped up inside the house all day.

Nowadays I'll only have coffee when I'm out in town near a Starbucks...which isn't very often. Maybe once every 2 weeks, but only because I just like the taste of coffee! It's a nice treat every once in a while. I'll still have a cup of tea once or twice a week, just to de-stress from a long day at work, and caffeine doesn't make me hyper so it doesn't disrupt my sleep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page