Meat replacements - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi,

I've recently been switching over to a veggie diet and I've been scoping out some meat substitutes. Currently I'm eating "Chik'n" by Morning Star Farms, not the ones with egg and milk, but the plain strips. They're vegan as far as I can tell, it lists nothing dairy. I use them for salads and pasta. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any other foods? I tried "tofu pups" and I wasn't a huge fan. But other than that I'm brand new and open to suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Hey, Jay!

Personally, I think fake meats are gross-- then again, I originally became a vegetarian because I didn't like the taste or texture of meat and hardly ate it as an omni. I only like the black bean burgers in the frozen foods section, but if you close your eyes (oh, Mimi), those fake sandwich meats they sell in the soy section at Walmart are supposed to taste pretty good. My carnivorous boyfriend loves them! But, again, you can't really look at 'em.

Have you tried experimenting with more veggies? It won't replace that meaty taste/texture you're looking for, but it'll eliminate the need for processed food!

Good luck!
#3 Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Morningstar products are pretty good about replacing meat and still somewhat tasting like it. Their corn dogs, chicken nuggets, and chicken patties are especially realistic- my omni brother can't tell the difference.

I haven't found a great hot dog replacement yet, although I did try a passable Italian sausage once but I can't remember what brand it was...

I've heard the Boca ground beef crumbles taste like the real thing, but mostly if you mix them in with other foods like chili, etc.

I've also heard that Lightlife's Smart BBQ "pulled pork" is supposed to taste ridiculously like the real thing, but I haven't been able to find it in stores.

Hopefully other, more "experienced" veg*ans can offer some insight!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfishandme View Post

Hey, Jay!

Personally, I think fake meats are gross-- then again, I originally became a vegetarian because I didn't like the taste or texture of meat and hardly ate it as an omni. I only like the black bean burgers in the frozen foods section, but if you close your eyes (oh, Mimi), those fake sandwich meats they sell in the soy section at Walmart are supposed to taste pretty good. My carnivorous boyfriend loves them! But, again, you can't really look at 'em.

Have you tried experimenting with more veggies? It won't replace that meaty taste/texture you're looking for, but it'll eliminate the need for processed food!

Good luck!

Well I wasn't really looking to fill a meat void, I was just under the impression that was the easiest way to meet protein quotas? My diet since I've made the switch has consisted of whole wheat pasta, veggies and that fake meat stuff, which isn't very good. I know veggies like broccoli have a decent source of protein, but I haven't been able to find a listing that won't have me measuring out an exact amount for each meal. Maybe I'm getting a little too hung up on numbers?

It's only been about a week now, but it's not nearly as difficult as I had thought. I'm attempting to go vegan, but there are a few patches I have to fix before that happens. For instance the multivitamin I take has gelatin in it.
#5 Old 11-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Beginner

Don't forget about nuts, seeds, and legumes. Peas and green beans are included in the legume family.

Also the Light Life Gimme Lean "Sausage" is really good. I make "Biscuits and Gravy" with it.

And I think it's Garden Burger that makes a "Chicken" patty that goes great in a non-chicken sandwich and they also make Riblets which are kinda scary with their accuracy.
#6 Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have used the gimme lean ground beef substitute in tacos. Hubby was aware of the switch and thought it tasted pretty good. My step-son also liked it enough to inform me that I was "eating meat even though you're vegetarian!" Smart kid! And he's only 9. Used with appropriate seasonings, I think they taste pretty good and are especially useful in combined households (I'm the only veggie in my house).
#7 Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrontdrive View Post

Well I wasn't really looking to fill a meat void, I was just under the impression that was the easiest way to meet protein quotas? My diet since I've made the switch has consisted of whole wheat pasta, veggies and that fake meat stuff, which isn't very good. I know veggies like broccoli have a decent source of protein, but I haven't been able to find a listing that won't have me measuring out an exact amount for each meal. Maybe I'm getting a little too hung up on numbers?

It's only been about a week now, but it's not nearly as difficult as I had thought. I'm attempting to go vegan, but there are a few patches I have to fix before that happens. For instance the multivitamin I take has gelatin in it.

Oh! Well you can get protein from seeds, tofu, and beans (those are the easiest sources). One serving of protein is an egg (while you're still lacto-ovo), 1/3 or 1/4 cup nuts or seeds, 4oz tofu, 1/2 cup cooked legumes, or 2 tablespoons nut butter. And you only need two or three servings each day!

Good luck on going vegan! I'm thinking about converting soon too, or taking the thirty-day-vegan-challenge mentioned a while back. Be sure to tell us how it goes!

And as for the multivitamins, you just have to keep checking labels. I use Equate One-A-Day Multivitamins.

((PS: if anyone wants to contest my information or add something else, please do so! This is just what I learned in my nutrition classes-- I'm always eager to learn!))
#8 Old 11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

lentils!!!!! mmmm

you can cook these up to be spicy too..adding cumin, chili, etc and using in chili or stew or w/ brown rice.

Quinoa ( a grain) is an absolute supa-food! its got all the aminos and protein that you need, its totally complete. you can eat it sweet and warm like oatmeal, or savory, to replace rice in any dish (pilaf is my fave.... so i make it orzo pasta and quinoa w/ veggies and balsamic/oil/seasonings) they also have quinoa pasta.

Seitan has alot of protein and is delicious and easy.

tofu can be seasoned/ marinated any old way, and added to sandwiches, stirfrys, salads. one of my faves is to simply saute up the tofu in a pan, then add taco seasoning, then add to a tortilla w/ refried beans, and other toppings.

hummus is made w/ beans, so lots o' protein. i love black bean hummus!

you can also toast chickpeas and season to put on top of salads as well.

edamame...eat plain, salted..or put in salad, soups, etc.
#9 Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Gimme Lean is great stuff. If your store carries it it'd probably be in the produce section near the tofu. Most stores also carry Gardenburger Riblets which are a big hit around here. I also recommend anything by Tofurky - they make brats, lunch slices, etc. They're a little harder to find, you'd probably have to go to a health food store.

I'm a big fan of mock meats and not ashamed to admit it!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

I was once talking to this guy who was Indian, and had been a vegetarian all his life. I had told him about this great restaurant that make great faux meat dishes. So he says to me: "Why would I want to eat anything that resembled meat?" I was like huh, what, and then I started to think about it and it is interesting how we somehow need to replace this sensation of eating meat. Like some one else had discussed hear about it being a pleasent memory thingy. But anyway it makes me think sometimes about my habits. I go with Michael, I enjoy those too, especially the Gimme Lean breakfast sausage with tofu scamble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page