Veganomicon! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

just got my copy of Isa and Terry's new cookbook. i am so impressed with how many recipes are in it. i especially like the mix and match section.

last night i made chickpea noodle soup and it was amazing!

tonight was curried tofu with chickpea quinoa pilaf and sauteed spinach and tomatoes

so yummy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

jealous.

i want that cookbook badly but am hoping to get it for a christmas present since i'm on a no buying books kick to save money.
#3 Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

just FYI.. the authors are

1)Isa Chandra Moskowitz

and

2)Terry Hope Romero

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen it yet. Are there lots of pictures? What kind of ingredients do they tend to use? I'm looking for a good cookbook, but I'm very put off by not seeing what I'm about to make (that's actually the only reason I haven't tried anything off the recipe boards here) and recipes that use excessive amounts of unusual ingredients.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#5 Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I haven't seen it yet. Are there lots of pictures? What kind of ingredients do they tend to use? I'm looking for a good cookbook, but I'm very put off by not seeing what I'm about to make (that's actually the only reason I haven't tried anything off the recipe boards here) and recipes that use excessive amounts of unusual ingredients.

Unfortunately there are not a ton of photos in the book. You can, however, find a lot of photos from the testers here and on the Post Punk Kitchen Forums.

If you're only going to have a handful of vegan cookbooks, this should be one of them. It gives really basic but inspired recipes that you can make on weeknights. I made some sauted bokchoy a few nights ago that took about 5 minutes and only used about 6 ingredients-- and that includes a garnish. It was delicious. We ate every bite.
#6 Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Bought it! Check out page 253 (not that I memerized it or anything) JELLY DONUT CUPCAKES!!!! Made them and they are soooo gooood! *dies from happiness*
#7 Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm dying for a copy of this book, I already have Vegan with a Vengeance (also by Isa) and I use it all the time. I'm sure Veganomicon will live up to my expectations.
#8 Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

just FYI.. the authors are

1)Isa Chandra Moskowitz

and

2)Terry Hope Romero

thanks, i realized my mistake when i pulled it out to plan tonight's dinner

lol
#9 Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm so excited for my copy to come... I'm just waiting for fedex to leave it on my doorstep!
#10 Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

the chickpea cutlets rock!

also the lemony roasted potatoes taste exactly like the ones at a local greek restaurant that i've been trying to imitate for years
#11 Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

i may buy this book today and start cooking more vegan/veggie for my boy.

last year when i was still vegan (went veg during school cos the options in the dining halls were really really really beyond nothing to eat each night limiting... and i had no time to microwave, i did exhaust all my options before choosing) he would eat vegan tacos at my house made with boca crumbles and tvp, and he ate vegan lasagna.. so i'm gonna flip through it and see what i can make that he'll eat and prolly buy it
#12 Old 11-03-2007, 04:38 AM

I want to get this book, I like the previous ones and the online pics from this look like there are some yummy recipes in this one too!
#13 Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 AM

I was soooooo close to buying this cookbook yesterday! But it is the beginning of the month and I still have bills to pay. So I forced myself not to. er. I was being good.
#14 Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Just got my copy about an hour ago. I'm massively impressed from just a cursory thumb-through. I'll post more later when I have some time. The chickpea cutlets on page 133 that lunatilian mentioned immediately went to the top of my must-try-this-out list. Bet those would be good with some marinara sauce and sautéed Portobellos on top. I’m even impressed with the binding! This may become my most-used book very soon.
#15 Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I asked my mom to order it for me so I can have it when I go home for the holidays...I'm dying to try it!! The chickpea cutlets sound amazing (and I've heard nothing but rave reviews) and I can't wait to try some of the cookie recipes!
#16 Old 11-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

The thing that clinched it for me was the fact that there were 29 reviews of the book on amazon, and all 29 gave the book 5 stars. You very rarely see that.
#17 Old 11-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Are there lots of pictures?

Not reallyhardly any at all. Who needs it, thoughit would have just doubled or tripled the price of the book.
#18 Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 AM

I've only tried out two recipes so far. My fiancé and I adore the cholent (page 182). I tried out the autumn latkes (53) and they were pretty good. Very rich--not the best breakfast choice!

Tonight I'll try making Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce (162) (once I get the tortillas) and pairing it with the Mexican Millet (118).
#19 Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Eek
Veggie Regular

It, and VwaV, are on my holiday wish list so i can't order it in case hubby already has. I hate waiting.
#20 Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Just picked it up. It was only in hardcover, kind of pricey.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 Old 11-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

$18 on Amazon. Not too bad. Then again, my mommy sent me a get well amazon gift certificate so it didn't actually cost me anything.

I bought myself Vegan with a Vengeance a few years ago and I must have had it for about a year before I actually cooked anything out of it. I've got plans for a bunch of things in V'con as soon as I'm well enough to eat normally again!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#22 Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in love with this cookbook! I've made soo many things from it so far and they have all been tastey! Spaghetti and beanballs was very good (even the kids loved it). cornmeal and blueberry pancakes, chocolate chocolate chip waffles, diner fries, Brussel sprouts coated in cornmeal with the yogurt dip...ALL was yummy! Black bean burgers last night were really good too!
#23 Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

$18 on Amazon.

Ugh. I'm going to return mine to B&N. I paid $27.50 plus tax.

It's also $20.63 w/ free shipping at DeepDiscount.com...

http://search.deepdiscount.com/search?w=veganomicon&

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Ugh. I'm going to return mine to B&N. I paid $27.50 plus tax.

It's also $20.63 w/ free shipping at DeepDiscount.com...

http://search.deepdiscount.com/search?w=veganomicon&

i got mine from amazon with free shipping--a lot of items qualify for free shipping if your order is $25 or more. so, i just got another cookbook along with it at an awesome price and qualified for free shipping. now, i have soo much experimenting to do!!!!
#25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

So now that everyone has had a chance to try it out, what are the favorite recipes? I jst got it and I'm a little overwhelmed.
#26 Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I made the spinach lasagne last weekend! It was amazing! It has tofu ricotta and pinenut cream sauce on top! I also made the vanilla yogurt poundcake. we inhaled it in 2 days.
#27 Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 PM

I just made the chewy choc raspberry cookies and had one while it was still warm with some of the vanilla ice cream from the book

I plan on making a bunch more of the recipes in the next week once i've had a chance to go to the supermarket and get ingredients.
#28 Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I still think I am the only person in the entire vegan world who doesn't have this book. Guess I'll just have to make up my OWN tasty recipes...
#29 Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont have the book, but someone smuggled me the fudgy wudgy (?) blueberry brownies... soooo awesome! i pretty much followed the recipe but they stayed really really moist and super chocolatey!
#30 Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'm getting this book for Christmas! I almost bought it at Borders, but knew I could get it on Amazon for much cheaper. Now, my bf is buying it for me! Flipping through, the pictures made me hungry. That says a lot considering I had just come from El Torito and I was FULL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page