Veganomicon! - Page 31 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#901 Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

i recently participated in an australian vegan/vegetarian survey and i went into a draw to win a copy of veganomicon! wish me luck!! hehe

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#902 Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I made the Carrot Pineapple Sunshine Muffins yesterday and they are soooo good! Very moist and tasty. Lots of different flavor elements. In fact, I am going to make another batch as soon as these are gone, which won't take too long, since I still have more pineapple left. I think I'll add some walnuts next time since I love nuts in my baked goods.

So far I have been in heaven with the muffin recipes I've tried from Veganomicon and VwaV.
#903 Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

I am headed to Pensacola tomorrow for a bit. It is a big military/church town. Have you been there before? I would be glad to give you info about it if you have any questions.

Thanks for the offer. Though I've never been to Pensacola, I know all about it. I had family and friends stationed there for awhile. From everyone I know I've heard it's not the most fun place to be (to say it nicely, lol). But the rest of Florida is beautiful and lots of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Cupcakes are freezable

I hate the feeling of being away from home, so even if I move there, I'm going to feel weird. I'm the type of person who likes familiar places and routine. This is going to be a change for sure. What's up in the air for you?

I like familiar place and routine too Probably why I've lived in the same place my whole life. But I think I'm ready for some change and a little adventure. And maybe that's what's in your future too.

Everything is up in the air for us right now. He's getting out. Can you believe it?! In the middle of all this economic craziness he's gonna get out. I'm so glad cause I've wanted him out since the get-go but it's an awful time to go changing game-plans. We might move back west, which would involve renting/selling this house, and of course moving cross country. He wants to go back to school and be close to his family but I love my job and my family and friends are all here. It's insane really. Then last week he gets a job offer in DC but ended up turning it down. So truly, I have no idea where I'll be in 6 months. Might be here, might be in WA, Dubai, DC- no clue. See? totally up in the air, lol. So I'm right there with ya, Babe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#904 Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I just had the spicy tempeh nori rolls, and they were great! Though I added too much sesame oil - I didn't have the spicy oil, so I mixed sesame oil with chili paste, but when I added it to the tempeh and tasted it, it wasn't spicy. So silly me, instead of adding ONLY more chili paste, I added more paste mixed with oil, and then it was spicy enough but too sesame-y . But it was really good! I also made a caramelized tofu roll and some all veggie rolls. I haven't made homemade sushi in a long time, so this was awesome!
#905 Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I finally got this from the library! I'm definitely making the chickpea cutlets. What else should I make? I'll have to look through this long thread, too lol.
#906 Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

I finally got this from the library! I'm definitely making the chickpea cutlets. What else should I make? I'll have to look through this long thread, too lol.

I recommend the garlic saffron rice as a great side dish!

Also pretty much any of the desserts. The fudgy wudgy blueberry brownies are to die for! And the chocolate-chocolate chip walnut cookies. Seriously good. I made some of these for a chocolate bake sale at work, and they were gone within half an hour!

I really love the acorn squash and black bean empanadas, though they do take a bit of time to make.

I've heard GREAT things about the penne vodka from Danakscully but haven't tried it yet (I need to pick up some vodka!).

Most of the recipes are great! In fact, you should just go and photocopy the whole book before you have to bring it back to the library
#907 Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

I recommend the garlic saffron rice as a great side dish!

Also pretty much any of the desserts. The fudgy wudgy blueberry brownies are to die for! And the chocolate-chocolate chip walnut cookies. Seriously good. I made some of these for a chocolate bake sale at work, and they were gone within half an hour!

I really love the acorn squash and black bean empanadas, though they do take a bit of time to make.

I've heard GREAT things about the penne vodka from Danakscully but haven't tried it yet (I need to pick up some vodka!).

Most of the recipes are great! In fact, you should just go and photocopy the whole book before you have to bring it back to the library

Thanks, I'll be sure to try those all out!

Heheh I'd like to! I've been looking through it and it looks fantastic. I'll have to at least write down some recipes and perhaps purchase it at a later date. I'm actually excited to cook!
#908 Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

Here are the recipes I've made in picture form. For me, I like to see pictures rather than read recipes. I'm visual, nothing "reads" great to me, pictures make me

Abbey's right, the Penne Vodka is something I LOVE. It's also VERY easy to make and you can keep all of the ingredients on hand.
#909 Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I like familiar place and routine too Probably why I've lived in the same place my whole life. But I think I'm ready for some change and a little adventure. And maybe that's what's in your future too.

Everything is up in the air for us right now. He's getting out. Can you believe it?! In the middle of all this economic craziness he's gonna get out. I'm so glad cause I've wanted him out since the get-go but it's an awful time to go changing game-plans. We might move back west, which would involve renting/selling this house, and of course moving cross country. He wants to go back to school and be close to his family but I love my job and my family and friends are all here. It's insane really. Then last week he gets a job offer in DC but ended up turning it down. So truly, I have no idea where I'll be in 6 months. Might be here, might be in WA, Dubai, DC- no clue. See? totally up in the air, lol. So I'm right there with ya, Babe

Oh my! Let me know what happens, I'm sitting at the edge of my chair in suspense

Mark is SOOO close to finding out, I get more and more nervous everyday.
#910 Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I made the Saffron Garlic rice last night to go with Chili Cornmeal Crusted Tofu and my own version of sweet potato fries. Delicious, delicious, delicious. The items complimented each other quite well. My bf especially loved the rice. So freaking simple. There's something about the addition of almonds to rice that is just awesome. I think I may be making the rice again before the week is done since the first batch got devoured. We stuffed ourselves silly.

I've been having focusing issues with *both* of my cameras so I haven't been able to take pics. Sucks too since our plates looked so purty last night. Maybe I'll try again to get pics of the tofu since there's a few pieces of that left, surprisingly.
#911 Old 11-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I made the Acorn Squash and Black Bean Empanadas. VERY yummy! I'll post pictures soon!
#912 Old 11-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

I was in a hurry, it was Halloween, so I couldn't get the best picture. Here's what I got:

I served them with guacamole, but they were perfect by themselves.
#913 Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

MMM those look so good! I made mine into circles because I thought it was easier than squares. I found the instructions "roll the dough into an 8x12 rectangle" laughable - who can roll dough into a rectangle? Mine always ends up shaped like an amoeba LOL. So I figured if I would have to reroll it anyway to make it into a square, I might as well cut circles and be done with it. Aren't they awesome?? They're one of my favourite things from V'con so far.
#914 Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

*raises hand* When I get my dough to be as big as I want it, I just fold the sides into straight edges (fold the dough in) and roll it out briefly (if that makes sense).

They were VERY yummy and easier than I thought they were going to be. Definately a keeper recipe
#915 Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Guess they will have to be my next endeavor...I just happen to have some squash and black beans!
#916 Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

YAY! You're going to really like them They were a lot easier than I thought they were going to be.
#917 Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I like anything in a pocket. That meal looked super tasty!
#918 Old 11-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Even hot pockets? "There is the vegetarian Hot Pocket for those of us who don't want to eat meat, but still would like diarrhea."
#919 Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, good point. Let's just say that the bf is always joking how I should live in Greece or Mexico b/c I always go for pocket or wrap style foods.
#920 Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

I'm the same way... I like foods with crust (pot pies especially). Anything full of fat, I LOVE Honestly though, the crust wasn't too bad. The recipe made a lot and I was able to feel full after eating just one (paired with broccoli).
#921 Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I did end up getting The Joy of Vegan Baking, by the way! I need to get to the store so I can make anything, LMAO, but I have the book!
#922 Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i was finally able to make the pumpkin saag the other night.

despite not being 100% sure what i got was actually "sugar pumpkin" it was really good!
#923 Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

I did end up getting The Joy of Vegan Baking, by the way! I need to get to the store so I can make anything, LMAO, but I have the book!

Let me know when you make something.
#924 Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I reheated the empanadas in the microwave and then in the toaster oven... ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. Love love love them even more now
#925 Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Beginner

I made the baked potato and kale soup with potato wedges tonight...delicious! Hubby had two big bowls.
#926 Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I liked that soup a lot!
#927 Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I haven't seen it yet. Are there lots of pictures? What kind of ingredients do they tend to use? I'm looking for a good cookbook, but I'm very put off by not seeing what I'm about to make (that's actually the only reason I haven't tried anything off the recipe boards here) and recipes that use excessive amounts of unusual ingredients.

Here's a flickr group for things made from Isa's books, including Veganomicon.

http://flickr.com/groups/vwav-and-friends/

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#928 Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ That food looks AWESOME!
#929 Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Making the empanadas today! I already finished the acorn squash baking part, lol. I figured that takes a lot of time away from what I have to do later. Maybe I can make them up and bake them and just heat up again at dinner time?
#930 Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

YAY! Yes, you can do that. I just nuke mine in the microwave for 30 seconds, then transfer them to the toaster oven.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page