3 cups unbleached white flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp tapioca starch or cornstarch

2 tbsp cinnamon

4 tbsp granulated white sugar

1 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)

Preheat your oven to 300 F.

In a large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together until smooth. Add the vanilla, and the cornstarch/soymilk mixture, and beat until well-mixed.

In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and tapioca/corn starch. Stir this into the wet ingredients and combine well.

In a very small bowl stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder (if desired).

Begin rolling the cookie dough into balls of about 3 tbsp each. Roll each ball in the cinnamon/sugar/cocoa powder mixture until completely coated and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Continue until all the dough is used up. Using the bottom of a glass, press down on each ball until they are about an inch thick. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, and no more. The cookies should still seem very soft when you remove them from the oven. Let cool on the pans for about 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire baking rack and let cool completely.

Makes about 30 cookies. This recipe can be halved, if desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah!!! I saw you eating it the day before yesterday and I went to your site but didn't find the recipe so I thought maybe you bought it but hehehe here it comes how can you read my mind kreeli ?
#3 Old 09-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

ah, i'm glad you are interested in making them, freemouse! i never had snickerdoodle cookies before my visit to seattle last month and came home determined to try perfecting them. i made three batches over the last week adding a bit of this, taking away a bit of that, and finally, the perfect recipe emerged. hope you enjoy!

if you're looking for recipes that haven't made it up at veganmania.com yet, you can check my recipe blog:

http://www.livejournal.com/~kreeli

theres a few up there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

eating good staying poor, how-to?

check out kreeli's secret recipes!!!

Just made the "Ginger-scented candied pecan", now I died and went to heaven
#5 Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Kreeli! I love Snickerdoodles and have not had them since I became vegan!
#6 Old 09-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Banned

Finally, a Kreecipe that even *I* can't resist!!!
#7 Old 09-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

you mean you've been able to resist all the recipes i've posted up until now? oh, the humanity...
#8 Old 09-24-2003, 07:15 PM

OMG, these are the best cookies! My anti-vegan father even praised them! I, literally, just made them a 1/2 hour ago. I plan on making them for my choir. I can't thank you enough for this recipe!!

(also, the coconut-veggie rice noodles recipe is divine! I saw it posted on VB once, tried it, and have had it several times since!! )
#9 Old 09-24-2003, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

you mean you've been able to resist all the recipes i've posted up until now? oh, the humanity...

Oh yeah... Good point... I guess you have to understand my death-first attitude towards prepared food... If only I had my own vegan-cooking-kreeli...
#10 Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

OMG, these are the best cookies! My anti-vegan father even praised them! I, literally, just made them a 1/2 hour ago. I plan on making them for my choir. I can't thank you enough for this recipe!!

(also, the coconut-veggie rice noodles recipe is divine! I saw it posted on VB once, tried it, and have had it several times since!! )

oh good, that's so nice to hear. thanks!
#11 Old 09-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

Oh yeah... Good point... I guess you have to understand my death-first attitude towards prepared food... If only I had my own vegan-cooking-kreeli...

ah, believe me, i understand completely. i'm currently trying to compile a "fast and easy" collection of vegan recipes for people like you and me, who are short on time and/or patience in the kitchen.

i do enjoy cooking normally but these two kids are making it hellish these days. they think playing lego and reading picture books are more fun that developing the perfect tofu marinade. stupid kids.
#12 Old 09-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Beginner

I made these cookies last night. They are awesome! Thanks for the recipe Kreeli
#13 Old 09-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, I am so excited to see a vegan snickerdoodle recipe!! A lady at work who is a bit of a grandma-to-all loves to bring in cookies for everyone, and snickerdoodles were always my special request. She was disappointed (and confused) when I said I couldn't eat them anymore. I mentioned that there might be a vegan way to make them, but I wasn't very hopeful. I can't wait to make these and pass them around to all for a taste-test!

One question: what is cream of tartar? If I remember right, we put this in snickerdoodles when I was a kid. Is it something non-vegan?
#14 Old 09-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

hi sunnyk,

cream of tartar is actually a by-product of wine making! it is the sediment that forms in the bottom of the bottles/barrels. it is often use to assist in leavening in recipes that call for baking powder or soda, but anything slightly acidic will do. i did notice in my recipe research that many snickerdoodle recipes called for it (and a lot of arrowroot powder, too!) but i didn't have either on hand so just forged ahead without it. seems to have worked just fine.

draekyn, that's great, i'm so glad you liked them. yay!
#15 Old 09-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

ah, believe me, i understand completely. i'm currently trying to compile a "fast and easy" collection of vegan recipes for people like you and me, who are short on time and/or patience in the kitchen.

Sah-weet!!
#16 Old 12-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Yum, i just made these, they are really yummy! Probably not such a good idea to eat 4 before they have even cooled though:P

Not sure if it matters too much in a recipe like this, but is it baking powder or soda? It says one in the list and the other in the instructions, I just used the soda.
#17 Old 12-11-2003, 06:54 AM

These cookies rock.
#18 Old 12-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

isn't this funny? i just made up a batch of these yesterday, too, to give as gifts.

sorry, i'll edit the instructions. it's baking powder...but you could do with a smaller amount of soda, too.
#19 Old 12-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Wow, now those sound so good. Thanks for the recipe.
#20 Old 12-13-2003, 08:14 AM

I just made a half batch of these to try...and they're great! I will definitely be making these again soon.

They also got raves from the 2 non-vegans in my house, too
#21 Old 12-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm going to make them on monday!
#22 Old 12-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm, I made them tonight after reading all these rave reviews and they're almost gone! We had a friend over and I made the cookies extra-big, so it came out to about 20 cookies. They were soooo good-thanks Kreeli!
#23 Old 12-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I made these last night and they are fantastic, I have never had a 'snickerdoodle' before so now I know what they are like. I think that I may have made them a little bit too big as I only got a dozen or so huge cookies ! I will know for next time

Thanks again Kreeli
#24 Old 12-14-2003, 03:22 AM

Quote:

cream of tartar is actually a by-product of wine making! it is the sediment that forms in the bottom of the bottles/barrels. it is often use to assist in leavening in recipes that call for baking powder or soda

I had no idea where cream of tartar comes from. Very neat, Kreeli!

Actually your recipe does include cream of tartar but it's in disguise. "Baking powder" is a leavening agent usually made up of corn starch, baking soda, and cream of tartar. The baking soda and cream of tartar (when wet) react and produce gas which fluffs up the cookies. If the other cookie ingredients are on the acidic side the recipe will call for - in addition to baking powder - baking soda to achieve an optimal pH balance. If the cookies are otherwise non-acidic (basic) the recipe will tell you to add some cream of tartar to balance.

I don't remember the last snickerdoodle I had. I can't wait to make these first thing tomorrow.

-wm
#25 Old 12-14-2003, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

i'd never even heard of snickerdoodles - vegan or not - until this thread!

are they widely available in stores or are they just a recipe that many people know?
#26 Old 12-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

i've never had a recipe of mine garner so much response before, wow! whatmove, thanks for the info about baking powder, i had no idea it contained cream of tartar. i love learning stuff like that.

with_open_eyes, i'd never tried a snickerdoodle before i drove down and spent some time in the good old US of A back in august. i think snickerdoodles are a traditional american cookie, because they seem to be very popular down there and impossible to find up here in canada.
#27 Old 12-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

with_open_eyes, i'd never tried a snickerdoodle before i drove down and spent some time in the good old US of A back in august. i think snickerdoodles are a traditional american cookie, because they seem to be very popular down there and impossible to find up here in canada.

i see! such a funny name!

my first batch are on the balcony cooling right now

i'm not sure if i did them right but they smell pretty damn good! i think i may have made them a bit big .... they kinda cracked on the edges as i was pushing them down with the bottom of the glass!

thanks again for the recipe kreeli! that's awesome you had so much feedback!

#28 Old 12-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by with_open_eyes View Post

i'm not sure if i did them right but they smell pretty damn good! i think i may have made them a bit big .... they kinda cracked on the edges as i was pushing them down with the bottom of the glass!

yep, that's normal. i like the frilly edges! i suppose if you're not fond of the cracks you could try adding a little more liquid to the recipe to see if they'll be more pliable when pressing.
#29 Old 12-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yep, that's normal. i like the frilly edges! i suppose if you're not fond of the cracks you could try adding a little more liquid to the recipe to see if they'll be more pliable when pressing.

ohh good! yeah i liked them that way, they went kinda crunchy! mmmm

they are really sweet but that's good cause that will save me from eating too many in one sitting!
#30 Old 12-14-2003, 11:41 AM

That's it. I've never had a snickerdoodle, but I keep seeing this thread & the temptation is getting too strong. I'll be making these in the next couple of weeks sometime. Gotta get a few ingredients & then I'll be a bakin'! Thanks for sharing, Kreeli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page