What cookbooks do you reccomend and why? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

I usually just try out recipes that are on the internet, but I was thinking about buying some cookbooks, so which ones do you have or what would you want to buy and why? What recipes out of the books do you enjoy? I was thinking Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Cupcakes take Over the World, but wanted some others.some new cookbooks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Eek
Veggie Regular

Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet and Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon are the two favourites in my collection.

I hear VwaV is super good ...it and Cozy Inside by Joni Marie Newman are both on my wish list
#3 Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan with a vengence is only a good cookbook if you can follow recipes easily, you have access to a lot of different sometimes odd ingredients and you have a lot of time and patience. I have pretty much none of the above and therefore VwaV is a pretty useless cookbook to me. I tend to use it for inspiration and just to read but i've only ever used one recipe out of it, but i have to admit it was pretty good.

I don't really tend to use cookbooks for recipes, i tend to use them for inspiration. But a cookbook i would recomend is how it all vegan and it's sequel the garden of vegan, good basic cookbooks, without that many airy fairy ingredients, simple layout and it's a good read, only downside is lack of pictures for inspiration.

I wouldn't recomend vegan cupcakes take over the world unless you want a specific cake related book, to me it seems a bit stupid to buy one cookbook devoted to one type of dish if you don't have some good basic cookbooks first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a large number of veg cookbooks, which unfortunately I never look at. I guess it was a stage I went through. What was most useful to me was browsing the ingredient lists for ideas regarding things I could add to my own dishes. If there had been a veg cooking encyclopedia listing only ingredients, I could have just purchased that and saved myself some money. Perhaps this is a book idea for some enterprising author out there.
#5 Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 PM

I hadn't heard of Cozy Inside before, but it looks great! I have VWAV but have never really used it, apart from a soup recipe. Too many ingredients and none of the recipes really 'stand out' and make me want to cook them.

The Candle Cafe cookbook is amazing, vegan fine dining indeed! Another cookbook I have and would recommend is Vegan by Tony Bishop Weston. I have made quite a few of the recipes and liked them, especially the creme caramel and broccoli and peanut soup. Mmm!!

The Voluptuous Vegan is meant to be excellent for dinner party style food, although I have never seen it. You probably won't go wrong with any of Bryanna Clark Grogan's books either.
#6 Old 10-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

The Original Moosewood, it's a classic.
#7 Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

My two favourites are VWaV and La Dolce Vegan. Some of the recipes in VWaV are complicated and fancy, and some are simple and easy, but they're all creative and unique. Any of Sarah Kramer's books (How it All Vegan, Garden of Vegan or La Dolce Vegan) are good basic cookbooks. I like Vegan Planet too, it's so huge that odds are there's always at least one recipe you can throw together. Vegan Cupcakes is definitely worth buying, but I don't use it often, only for bake sales and special occasions. (If you do buy it, try the Banana Split cupcakes - a-ma-zing!)
#8 Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

You can try The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition with 1,000 Recipes. In addition to their thoroughly tested recipes, this book shows the hows and whys of food selection and preparation. Directions are all easy to follow,I find that a recent deal for this book is only $23. You can get one if you like. http://dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=58033
#9 Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Robin Robertson's Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook and 365 Ways to Cook Tofu and Other Meat Alternatives

Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Express and Vegetarian Family Cookbook both get a lot of use around here too. I do have to do some veganizing sometimes for all of them, but it isn't too difficult.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page