Pasta Salad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

Ok so I searched and searched the Internet and couldn't come up with anything...

I have left over cooked pasta (the short cylindrical curly kind and its whole wheat organic) and I want to turn it into pasta salad.

I am thinking of something that could have cheese, green peas, carrots, chick peas, maybe a little bit of nuts, not any fruit though, possibly some spinach.

I need some kind of dressing for it. I usually am not a huge fan of pasta salads (in my omnivore days 9 days ago haha) But I generally like pasta salads that have a mayonnaise based dressing on them.

What do ya'll think? Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Why do you need a recipe? It sounds like you KNOW what you want. Just put the things in that sound good to you - it should be just fine.

If you like a mayo-based dressing, just use mayo and maybe the tiniest splash of vinegar (unless you don't like the tang).

I would season with a little onion, salt, pepper and dill, to taste, but the beauty of pasta salads is pretty much anything goes.

Good cooks taste as they go. That's the only way to discover what you like, what seasonings work together for you, and how much of certain things you need...

One more thing:

I guess I don't know if you're going vegan or vegetarian... If you're looking for a VEGAN alternative to mayo, there are several options:

My absolute favorite Vegan Mayo is Vegenaise, which gets VERY good reviews by most vegans here on VB - try the grapeseed oil version if you can find it - SOOOO tasty!!.

The other popular one is Nayonaisse, which some people like better - I don't care for it as much, you'd have to decide for yourself. There is also one made by Spectrum and one from Trader Joes, but I don't know much about them.

I really find it hard to believe there isn't a recipe out there that's close to what you like, but if not, just make it up! Seriously, just experiment. It'll be fine!
#3 Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Yeah I experiment with food all the time. But I like getting input too. I've been in a kitchen working with experienced people and they cannot think of something to add but I could and same visa versa. 2 minds better than 1 you know I especially don't want to throw food away $$$ if i don't like it.

Yeah if it came down to it I figured I would either just add mayo & vinegar or some ranch salad dressing. But for some reason neither just seemed like it would click right with the ingredients I listed.

I spent maybe 10 minutes just searching google & food network for pasta salads and if it had meat or olives then I didn't really read too much into it.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Just read the "meat" recipes and don't add the meat. Or olives.

I get most of my ideas from very "meat-oriented" sites like Food Network, Epicurious, etc..

Not sure I'd use ranch dressing, though I guess thats pretty close to what my dressing actually IS... have you Googled MACARONI salad?

For some reason, when catagorizing recipes, people tend to classify "macaroni salad" as one with mayo-dressing and "pasta salad" as one with oil and vinegar. Not always, but sometimes, just a thought...

Since you have listed all the ingredients you want, and the type of dressing you prefer, I still think you might as well just make the recipe up yourself.
#5 Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I think Il make one just like you said in your original post--it sounds yummy. I love me some pasta salads!
#6 Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tip about searching under macaroni salad. Must be a southern thang because of the mayonnaise Everyone knows us southerners 2 favorite food is macaroni & cheese & mayonnaise haha... well not exactly but w/e
#7 Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Where in the south are you from? Alabama for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page