Pie crust substitute? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Hi, everyone--there's a very nice vegetarian pot pie recipe I make, but there's one complaint coming from my husband about it: the pie crust.

No matter what kind of crust I find, whole wheat or whatever, he says it has too much fat. When you consider that fat is usually what holds a pie crust together, it's kind of hard to eliminate it entirely.

He suggested a drop biscuit crusty-thing to go on top, or something similar, that would be lower fat than a pie crust.

Anyone have any suggestions/directions/recipes?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I actually do the biscuit dough on top of my pot pies. However, my favorite biscuit recipe is certainly not low fat.

But you can use any basic recipe for biscuits, drop the dough in rounds or spoonfuls on the top of your casserole, then bake until the biscuits are done. You could also use canned biscuits and just place them on top, if you prefer.
#3 Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

How about mashed potatoes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Potatoes or yams ARE a good choice. Mash them and if you do eat eggs, mix in the whites from one egg{it will help hold it together}, add some ginger, five-spice powder and a pinch of salt or whatever spices you like. Spread half the mix over the bottom of the dish add your main ingredients then top with the rest of spud mix and bake.
#5 Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

yeaah.. buscuit dough ain't exactly low-fat either!

I would go with mashed potatoes..
#6 Old 09-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

How about dumplings?

They're not low fat - but don't taste greasy, so if it's for taste rather than reduction of fat they are a good option.
#7 Old 09-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

This is from Bryanna Clark Grogan's website, it's a lower fat pie crust. Pie crust is, by nature, fat suspended in flour with water to make it flakey.

BRYANNA’S LOW-FAT OIL PASTRY http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1435893.htm

Makes one 9" crust

Although this crust does contain fat, it has about half that of ordinary pastry, and it uses oil rather than hard fat. Divided into 8 servings, each piece with either a bottom OR a top crust (not both) and a fat-free filling will contain 5 g of fat.

The pastry flour and soured soymilk make a tender crust that no one will guess is low-fat!

1/2 c. unbleached white flour

1/2 c. MINUS 1 T. wholewheat pastry flour

3 T. oil

3 T. soymilk with 1/2 tsp. lemon juice added

3/8 tsp. salt

3/8 tsp. baking powder

3/8 tsp. sugar

Mix the flours in a medium bowl with the salt, baking powder and sugar. Whisk together the soured soymilk and oil in a cup until well blended. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix gently with a fork until it holds together in a ball. (If it's too dry, sprinkle with a TINY bit of water.) If you have time, place the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate it for an hour before rolling out. Roll out and bake as you would an ordinary crust.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page