Brewer's yeast vs. Nutritional yeast? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 AM

OK, so I bought some Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast the other day. Then, I open up the Uncheese Cookbook and it tells me that brewer's and nutritional yeast are NOT the same--that BY tastest yucky etc.

On another thread, I see someone has used BY to make seitan, which is what I intended to do, among other things.

Can somebody set me straight on this? I thought they were the same thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

they are different things. see here: http://www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html

nutritonal yeast is sold dead (deactivated) for a start, so it won't do any brewing or anything, it'll just taste cheesy. some brewers yeasts are deactivated too, if they're sold in the form of a supplement, but the ones you buy from a beer making shop, will ferment and brew stuff- i'd personally not want to eat that stuff. they taste different too- brewers yeast tends to be bitter.

eta: from looking online, it seems the stuff you bought (this stuff, right?) is de-activated (so safe to eat), and not bitter (alledgedly) so i doubt it'd hurt you to use it, it just would have a slightly different flavour to nutritional yeast.
#3 Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 AM

The brewer's yeast I have says it's for sprinkling on foods like cereals, salads, etc. I got it in the health food section of Wegmans supermarket--that's why I thought it was OK. but maybe I'll just go get the "real thing." Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Nutritional yeast looks like yellow flakes or powder and has a cheesy taste. It's usually sold in the bulk section, though it is sometimes sold in canisters. I don't eat enough to recommend a brand. Some taste nuttier and some tastes cheesier. If you buy some and you don't like it, try a different brand.

And yeah, brewer's yeast is totally different.
#5 Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairchef View Post

--that BY tastest yucky etc.

"that brewer's yeast tastes yucky, etc."

Not correcting you here. Just translating because I read that a few times before I understood it.
#6 Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am always correcting people at the store I work at that they are not the same thing (it doesn't help that the nutritional yeast we sell shows up on the receipt as brewers yeast). I like Brewer's yeast just fine though, in a different way than nutritional yeast. I bet brewers yeast would taste yummy in homemade seitan. For sauces and stuff though I go for the nutritional yeast. Brewers yeast is, for lack of a better word, beefier, where nutritional yeast is cheesy/nutty. That is my take on it. If you bought it you might a well eat it, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page