i got a mixer for my birthday! now what? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

my mom got me a mixer, i picked it out actually. it's got different attachments: a wisk, a blender, and a chopper that's actually like a mini food processor

i can't wait to use it, but i don't know what i want to use it for!

i was thinking at some point i'd like to try making my own bean dip but i don't know what to put in it. i suppose blended beans will be creamy enough on their own without having to add anything but herbs/spices.

what else can i do with my new toy??

oh while i'm at it, i found pudding mix that's vegan and i tried to make it with soymilk instead of milk, pre-mixer, and it came out too thin like it never really set properly. was it because i was stirring by hand instead of using a mixer or do i have to adjust the amount of soymilk because it's runnier than milk, or is there something i can add to help it set properly?

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

if you don't use the liquid from the can (which is very yucky, in my opinion), you may find your bean dip is way too thick and that it doesn't blend well. you could add a little water or veggie stock, a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, some tomato pasatta (or paste mixed with water), or a combination of the above, to thin it out and flavour it a bit.

you could also add garlic, onion, ginger, grated carrot, pepper, assorted veggies, fresh or dried herbs, spices (i really like dry roasted cumin seeds- just throw a handful of them into a dry unoiled pan and wait a few seconds until they start to change colour slightly and become aromatic) etc.

instead of a savoury bean dip, you could make a creamy cashew dip- kind of like a cream or yogurty base which can be adapted to make any old creamy dip you fancy. soak a cup of raw cashews in a cup of hot water for a couple of hours, till they go a bit soft and squishy, then thow the nuts (not the water) into the blender, with some fresh cold water (add a smidge every now and then, just enough to help it go liquidy), and whatever else you fancy. i add a big wodge of cucumber to mine- instead of most of the water, plus some fresh parsley, a big shake of herbamare seasoning salt, and a splash of lemon- but you could add garlic and onion, or i spose nutritional yeast (never tried it) for something a bit more ranch-like, or vanilla or some kind of syrup- and optionally some silken tofu- for a sweet cream. there should be recipes for cashew cream all over the net.

you can use the blender to make your own icecream, too! again, recipes are everywhere. if you're less into fidling with stuff, freeze some bananas, and blend them in your blender (if its frozen stuff safe) for instant soft-serve. experiment with other fruits for different sorbet syle stuff.

another fun idea is pate. you could pretty much just use a pile of grated or sliced veggies which have been sweated in a pan, and combine them with cooked or canned lentils, beans, or nuts, and seasonings. breadcrumbs will thicken it up, if it doesn't thicken on standing. i can't find my recipe, but again, there are probably loads of them all over the net. you could also use the pate base, with other veggies and breadcrumbs/rice added to it, to make a rich, moist, creamy nut-loaf.

eta: if you like indian food, you could try making this recipe for potatoes with a crunchy spicy coating. i have to warn you that there is a small possibility that the tumeric may colour your blenders insides a lovely (possibly permenant) yellow colour, so consider it at your own risk! there are probably other indian recipes on the net that are used to crust veggies like this, that don't have the dreaded tumeric, though.
#3 Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Pudding that calls for milk doesn't work with soy milk (in my experience) something about the congealing qualities of cow milk. You could probably use tofu instead of the milk with the same pudding or get pudding mix that calls for tofu to be used. Tofu pudding is very easy, just sugar, flavorings and tofu... You don't even need a mix for it (but a blender helps!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

is this a kitchenaid type of mixer?

cuz if it is....congrats! and you can do ANYthing and EVERYthing w/ it!

breads, batters, etcetcetc.

as for pudding, ive never had a prob using soymilk so ???

but i know that morinu pudding mix calls for silken tofu, and it comes out great!

if you want to try to fix your current pudding...maybe add a bit of cornstarch to stiffen it up a bit?

i used to also freeze pudding sandwiched between graham crackers, maybe a bit of pb smeared, and whipped cream in the sandwich as well. allow to set up in freezer and enjoy!
#5 Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

seitan!! do you like seitan? mixers are *perfect* for kneading gluten to make it nice & chewy.
#6 Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

hubby and i thought it would be nice to make a batch of pudding we could both eat. he doesn't care for soy-anything (he's omni) but he said he'd try it with soymilk (it's ok IN stuff as long as he can't taste it)

but if i made it with tofu he wouldn't touch it

but yeah made with soymilk it didn't set hardly at all. was really runny. we ate it anyway cause it's a crime to throw out chocolate dontchaknow but it wasn't very good. i ended up pouring most of mine over ice cream (soy) thinking it'd be like chocolate sauce. didn't taste too good.

anyway it's this one and the description at the bottom of the page says you can put it right into a pot of simmering veggies to make a creamy soup. i'm gonna try that.

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-MR430HC-.../dp/B00004S9GX

~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 09-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

oh, but you dont even taste the tofu in the pudding....make it before he comes home!!

but i have that same type of blendeer thingy....its f'n GREAT!!i use it for everything!!

my food processor is stashed away, so when i want to process/ blend/ chop, i pull this out. even though the processor cup is small, i just do things in batches.

i crush/ blend cashews for a cheez sauce.

the blender attachment, the immersion blender that you mentioned to go in soup...is invaluable for this. you dont have to use a new container to blend in the blender. i make creamy potato leek soup w/ it.

also, you can whip the silken tofu w/ this in a bowl, and add your pudding mix. you could also pour into a pie shell as well!! its sooo good, your hubby will never know! you can even blend in some pb as well, its verrrry rich like this though.

and the whisk attachment i use for cookie, cake mixes. just be careful its not too stiff...like super dry pb cookie dough! i kinda made my whisk a little wonky b/c of this.

but i lovelovelove this thing, dont you?!
#8 Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

i haven't used it yet lol

my mom has an immersion blender, it's almost as old as i am. it's bloody brilliant though. she always uses it to make mashed potatoes, they turn out so creamy even without milk and it's so much easier than mashing

i think i'm going to get lots of use out of the chopper. i hate chopping veggies sometimes, i think we'd eat more fresh veggies if they weren't such a pain to prepare. i have a rice cooker/steamer and now a chopper so i have no excuse.

now if i can just figure out what to do with my fondue pot ...

~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i haven't used it yet lol

my mom has an immersion blender, it's almost as old as i am. it's bloody brilliant though. she always uses it to make mashed potatoes, they turn out so creamy even without milk and it's so much easier than mashing

i think i'm going to get lots of use out of the chopper. i hate chopping veggies sometimes, i think we'd eat more fresh veggies if they weren't such a pain to prepare. i have a rice cooker/steamer and now a chopper so i have no excuse.

now if i can just figure out what to do with my fondue pot ...

you are totally stocked!!!

i hate chopping too...but either way, make sure you have a good knife, that makes the job alot easier!!

hmmm fondue... i make a mean-arse real cheese/ beer fondue. dang its good.

i wonder if you could do a vegan choc. fondue, a phoney cheez fondue, maybe even that watery pudding of yours!!

this could be an Iron Chef project!!
#10 Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

For vegan chocolate pudding I add a few tablespoons of cornstarch to the pudding (make sure you dissolve the cornstarch in a little cold soymilk before adding it to the pot). Then just stir or whisk the heck out of the pudding while it cooks and it should work out.
#11 Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

there's no cooking involved

~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

i use my blender to make hummus, and carrot soup and banana-mango smoothies!

for pudding i don't use a blender, it works just fine in a microwave container, and yeah soymilk works good. The recipe I use is 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons cornstarch (I use arrowroot powder) and 3/4 cup soy milk. mix it all together until it's smooth and then microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes. take it out and whisk it some more then put it back for another 1 and 1/2 minutes. remove from microwave and add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. let it cool down and thicken for a few minutes then eat!

as for the processor part of your gift i don't know what to do with it as i've never used one. I do however envy your newfound ability to chop vegetables by machine

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#13 Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

you can do a lot of things with a processor. make homemade salsa!! i'm excited to try that.

it's been a tight couple of weeks budget wise so i haven't been able to go out and get fun things to try it out on.

i will try that pudding recipe though thanks!!

~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 09-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So you used instant pudding then?
#15 Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oops, I think I assumed you were using the type of pudding that you cook. If you can find non-instant chocolate pudding that you make on the stovetop the cornstarch trick should work.
#16 Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had a problem substituting non-milks with cooked pudding. Not sure if I ever tried the instant kind though...think I might just for the heck of it now.
#17 Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

well i discovered that a few flavours of jell-o pudding are vegan so decided to try some. i don't think i've ever bought a kind that required cooking

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page