vegan cupcakes have taken over my world... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 PM

a sign that vctow is the best cookbook ever - i have a friend who is the most carniverous of carnivores. i offered him a cupcake (chocolate with raspberry buttercream). i was thinking i should give it to him without telling him it was vegan. but as i don't know if he has any food allergies (other than green things, apparently) i figured full disclosure was in order. he sniffed them (yes, he sniffs his food.) and deemed them alright to eat. and you know what? he loved it!

speaking of the raspberry buttercream, has anyone else made it? i wasn't totally satisfied with the taste with just the coffee syrup. has anyone tried it with the raspberry extract? mc cormick seasonings recently came out with one, so it might be easier to find now. i also wasn't satisfied with the color (i was promised mauve. i got pink. i mean, barbie-doll pink.). but a bit of red food coloring will fix that.

up next... red velvet cupcakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm....maybe you've motivated me to actually try another cupcake from there (the 2 i made before werent so great?!)...

instead of just ogling the preeettty pictures! yum.
#3 Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 PM

oh, it took me over a week to stop ogling pretty pictures and actually do something. but ogling is a necessary part of having that book, imho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM

i made the red velvet cupcakes.... it looked like i killed someone in my kitchen! i mean, i knew it would be red with a little brown, but it seriously looked downright gory.

it was sorta cool.

haven't eaten any yet, but they smell fantastic. i'm not sure if i'll make them again soon, as they use a rather copious amount of red food coloring. but they still look/smell awesome. they probably taste cool too.

anyone have an absolute favorite cupcake in this book? i'm looking for what to make next.
#5 Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm.... i had red velvet cupcakes for the first time recently (not vegan) ... i thought they were pretty good, but i thought it was more about the icing.

you can use beet powder/ extract ? for coloring too. or just leave it out altogether.

as to what to make next, im no help...im going to be working on vegan twinkees next!!
#6 Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

So far I've made the plain golden, lemon macadamia and tiramisu cupcakes...all were excellent and my co-workers wait with baited breath for the next monthly birthday celebration because they love whatever I bring in!
#7 Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

we made the choc ones and vanilla ones...they were okay. i have a better choc recipe that i like to use, and the vanilla ones came out pretty icky. more like very soy-ie muffins.

i wondered if there was a typo in the book.

but i didnt actually make them w/ my own hands, so it may have been *their* fault. ha.
#8 Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 AM

define 'icky.' was it the taste or the texture? i've noticed a slight texture thing - i think there might be too much oil in the recepies. i've made non-vegan muffins and cupcakes, and the oil in the recepies doesn't soak into the muffin cups the way that the vegan ones do. the batter is also runnier than the non-vegan versions i've made. perhaps next time i make something from the book, i should slightly reduce the oil.

as for the taste, i think that both that i've made tasted fantastic. i used rice milk instead of soy because of the milder taste, and the fact that soy milk has never impressed me.

as for typos, the first printing has several. i have a later printing, in which i've only noticed one typo so far (in the red velvet recepie, it never says when to put in the vanilla). if your lemon buttercream recepie mentions blueberries, you have the first printing. there's a thread on the ppk message boards here about the typos.
#9 Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, i found that link on another thread, thanks gatorjuice. i do have the first printing. humpf. i wasnt sure before.

the texture of the vanilla was too dense, imo. really heavy...you are prob right about the oil thing. and the taste wasnt sweet like a cupcake, more doughy like a heavy muffin.

and i could def. taste the soy.

i should try the rice milk. what brand/ flavor do you use? and it turns out the same (besides the taste) as using soy milk?

i always finagle rrecipes anyway, so i made the van. cupcakes to see how they would taste as is, then id play w/ them in the future... although, the Fluffy White Cupcakes from Vegan Lunchbox are soooo delish!! they are my faves, fo sho!
#10 Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM

i've been using enriched organic rice dream. the book says that rice and soy milk are interchangeable in the recepies. i've had good results in the three things i've made (both cupcakes and the orange scones from vwav).

as for the density problem, are your baking powder/soda new-ish? if they aren't, they may not be making your baked goods rise, thus causing dense cupcakes.
#11 Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made the peanut butter cupcakes (amazing) and the gingerbread cupcakes (pretty good, but not as great. this might be because I was missing a lot of the ingredients)
#12 Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorjuice View Post

i've been using enriched organic rice dream. the book says that rice and soy milk are interchangeable in the recepies. i've had good results in the three things i've made (both cupcakes and the orange scones from vwav).

as for the density problem, are your baking powder/soda new-ish? if they aren't, they may not be making your baked goods rise, thus causing dense cupcakes.

cool, im going to just have to try that rice milk.

my baking powds and soda are new... ive been baking up a storm lately, and have gone thru much!!.

i have lately started to increase my powder/soda to recipes...even if just by a 1/2-1 tsp.

i wonder if the batter was mixed too much and thus was too dense. (next time, i will have to make them w/ my very own hands!!)'

i also found that someone recommended preheating your oven to a higher temp than called for...then, when ready to put i your goodies in the stove, lower it to the proper cooking temp...and it makes them rise immediately b/ c of the super hot air!

oh, the science of baking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page