i'm looking for the best and tastiest foods that i can find as a vegan in toronto, - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

i'm looking for the best and tastiest foods that i can find as a vegan in toronto, canada. and other questions which are very important or me.

there are good chances that i will not stay in toronto much longer. i don't have much time to try many restaurants.

what restaurants serve the best mock meats?. and what would you recommend to choose from the menu?

even if it's far from the center of toronto.

also, there is non dairy gelateria? what its name?

what others gelaterias serve the best vegan icecream?

where can i find vegan pizza?

and another very important question that i have and just recalled. do you know vegans or vegetarians in toronto of anywhere else, who does not like vegan foods many times?

or for example specific people who having a lot of criticism about vegans in general? like people who are vegan but don't like many things about vegans in general.

and lastly. do you know if there would be new mock meats options that would be introduced in the vegetarian fair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
do you know if there would be new mock meats options that would be introduced in the vegetarian fair?

i don't know if they'd be new (like new on the market?) but at last years vegetarian fair there were LOADS of mock meats and yummy veggie foods (well, it seemed like loads to me).

i don't like mock meat, but i recall in passing that some of the venders in the outdoors cafe area had lots of asian vegan 'seafood' stuff: tempura crab, king prawn, etc, and there was also a stall selling frozen asian made fake-meat products- probably the same stuff that the venders were selling cooked. there was lots of really tasty cooked food there, if you get time to stop for lunch.

as well as that, toffutti (who make vegan icecream and cheese stuff- see: http://www.tofutti.ca/Products.page ) and tofurky (mock meat people, see: http://www.tofurky.com/products.htm ) will be there, amongst others, so even if there was nothing new, i'd think it'd probably be a good opportunity to ask them lots of questions and try lots of samples- as well as look in on the cooking demonstrations.

Quote:
and another very important question that i have and just recalled. do you know vegans or vegetarians in toronto of anywhere else, who does not like vegan foods many times?

or for example specific people who having a lot of criticism about vegans in general? like people who are vegan but don't like many things about vegans in general.

i don't really understand this question. i know some vegans who don't like some foods which are vegan (like me, i don't like meaty tasting fake meats very much at all), and i know some vegans who aren't very friendly (like me- i'm quite shy and unsociable!) and some vegans who don't like some characteristics of some other vegans (like me- i don't like loud and bossy people much!) but i don't know any vegans who hate vegan food generally (that'd make eating difficult) or who hate all other vegans specifically (i dislike personality aspects of many people, but equally whether they're vegan or not!).

if you're worried about meeting nasty vegans in toronto (or specifically at the food fair), i think you'll be ok if you're generally smiley and polite and not too 'in your face', and if you don't get drawn into any passionate conversations, and if you respect others veiws and opinions (thats something i dislike about some people- that they think their truth is the truth). i've never had a problem with anyone (apart from myself!).

if you get to the food fair- i hope you have a nice time, and its got what you need
#3 Old 08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagemurut View Post

there are good chances that i will not stay in toronto much longer. i don't have much time to try many restaurants.

what restaurants serve the best mock meats?. and what would you recommend to choose from the menu?

Fressen is the obvious choice if you want outstanding vegan food, but they're not heavy on mock meats (unless you consider tofu & tempeh mock meat.) Anything on the menu will knock your socks off, but the squash ravioli is my favorite.

Quote:

also, there is non dairy gelateria? what its name?

what others gelaterias serve the best vegan icecream?

where can i find vegan pizza?

Have you tried the Happy Cow guide to Toronto?

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand your question either. Toronto is a very veg friendly city and you will be able to find a wide variety of foods and restaurants to suit even a picky vegan. When I was there last, I didn't meet a single person who wasn't very friendly towards vegans. Just the opposite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have you tried the Happy Cow guide to Toronto?

i've tried to type "pizza" in the happy cow website in the toronto page and there was no search result for the word. here is what i mean so you can understand me better.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6295/qqqqb1.png

i just read that someone mentioned that there is a pizza chain in toronto with more than 20 locations that serve vegan pizza. and while doing a quick search using google, i havnt found information about which chain is that.

about vegan icecreams. i've been reading about a gelaterias that serve non dairy icecream only. but when i've tried to search on google i hav'nt found that. and while typing the word icecream on the happy cow toronto page the was no results for that.

i also asked about the best quality soy icecreams in toronto.
#5 Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Banned

magic oven apparently does vegan pizza (meaning pizza with vegan cheese, cos many other pizzas are vegan if you just leave the cheese off!)... but it has 3 locations, not 20... and its not a specificially vegan place (it still has meat and dairy options). the restaurant review section on www.veg.ca says " Twelve vegetarian and five vegan pizzas to choose from, or order a custom one. They also sell pizza by the slice ($4) for take-out or eat-in." http://www.magicoven.com/home.php

i've not seen a vegan gelato store myself, but i don't go into the city often. you can probably get vegan options if you get Sorbetto (tends to be water based sorbet) instead of Gelato (tends to be milk based) in a regular gelato store though.

for soya icecreams from a grocery store or healthfood store, not an gelato style icecream store, you could try these brands:

SoyDelicious: http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/products.html (i really like the Purely Decedant Chocolate peanut butter zigzag)

Tofutti: http://www.tofutti.com/pp.shtml# and http://www.tofutti.com/c-v.shtml and http://www.tofutti.com/s-mmb.shtml (yeah, they're all good- you can try these at the food fair)

SoGood: http://www.sogoodbeverage.com/desserts.cfm (i really like the boysenberry vanilla swirl)

RiceDream and SoyDream: http://www.tastethedream.com/ ( i can't remember what these taste like)

Cool Hemp: http://www.coolhemp.com/en_product.htm (never tried it).

A store like The Big Carrot or WholeFoods should stock some, if not all, of these brands.

http://www.thebigcarrot.ca/

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/cana...nto/index.html
#6 Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm Magic Oven...I've only been to the one on Broadview, just north of the subway station. Go there now! Then you can go further east on the Danforth and visit the Big Carrot as Jen mentioned, near Chester subway in that little "village" looking setup they have. Then you should head down to China Town II which is Broadview and Gerrard, and pick up some cheap mushrooms and a few Asian fruits .

And THEN you have to take the Gerrard streetcar eastbound to Logan and go to Simon's Wok, the BEST restaurant in TO for mock meats. Order the assorted gluten platter which comes in 3 sizes if you'd like to try a selection of the real fake stuff. It's got a tiny green awning and is only one door wide, and is about three doors west of Logan. It is said that the entire menu is vegan, you have to go by this general assumption because none of the staff are fluent in English.

I've heard great things about Bo De Duyen on Spadina just south of Dundas, but for some reason I've never been. I think it's because of that Vietnamese place up the road and that yummy $5 plate with all the fresh veggies and tofu on a mountain of rice or vermacelli...mmmmm....sucks me in all the time. For Pizza I've heard great things about Pizzaiolo but again, I've never made it to that one.

If it's soy ice cream you're after, most stores carry at least one brand. Every Loblaws and every 24 hour convenience store carries either Toffuti, Soy Delicious, So Good, or all three. Well, 7-11 doesn't but they suck anyways. Go to Rabba or Sak's instead. Tastes vary so I don't know which to recommend, but I didn't like the Toffuti as much as the others. We have a gelato place here in the west end that looks interesting but I'm not sure if they do dairy free stuff...but I am willing to put myself out and do some research for you.
#7 Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

There's also Pizza! Pizza! Although they don't have pizza with vegan cheese you can get their vegetarian whole wheat pizza with a ton of veggies. They have a very impressive list of veggie that they offer plus they can use sweet chili thai sauce instead of regular sauce that is amazing!!
#8 Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i don't really understand this question. i know some vegans who don't like some foods which are vegan (like me, i don't like meaty tasting fake meats very much at all), and i know some vegans who aren't very friendly (like me- i'm quite shy and unsociable!) and some vegans who don't like some characteristics of some other vegans (like me- i don't like loud and bossy people much!) but i don't know any vegans who hate vegan food generally (that'd make eating difficult) or who hate all other vegans specifically (i dislike personality aspects of many people, but equally whether they're vegan or not!).

thank you,

i'm asking if you know vegans that don't like what available for them to eat and find it a real problem or an extreme problem to be vegans?

or vegans who don't like many things in vegans other than the food issue?

i'm finding my self for example like i feel vegans don't aware much about the qualities of their foods. and not talk about it much.

still. canada has million times better what to offer me than my origin country.

other than that. i think people in my country are much less knowledgeable about why other places has much better vegan food options.

but i also think people in my country in general are extremely unaware of the food quality in other places lie Us and canada. or others.
#9 Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
i'm asking if you know vegans that don't like what available for them to eat and find it a real problem or an extreme problem to be vegans?

i'm finding my self for example like i feel vegans don't aware much about the qualities of their foods. and not talk about it much.

hmmm. i know that it can often be difficult to find something nice in a normal restaurant or outside of my home, but i think that if you choose to eat in a different way, you need to accept that you might not always find it easy to find food which suits you. i often end up with salad when i eat out, but i don't get cross about it- i have nice food in my house, and i am lucky that i can go and find a vegan restaurant or grocery store, and that i have the money to buy nice food.

even vegans in very small towns or who aren't very wealthy, living in America, Canada, or the UK, should be able to find plenty of nice food which they can eat- they just have to learn about food, try new things, and learn to cook, - and not try and buy ready-made junk-food things that they might be used to buying. they might not have nice vegan restaurants near them, but could probably talk to chefs in normal restaurants, and get something made especially for them- asian, middle-eastern, and indian places are good for vegan food.

i think that if you choose to be vegan, you should be prepared to make an effort to find things/places to eat which suit you, to learn how to feed yourself properly (and to cook!), and to accept that sometimes the things which you can eat in a normal restaurant, might not be your favourite or first choice of foods.

you have to be prepared to try new foods, educate yourself, and to help people around you to make your life easier- by showing and telling friends and family and restaurants what you can eat, or would like to eat, and by being friendly and helpful and enthusiastic- it helps you to get your way, and them to learn, and feel happier and more confident when they need to make you food!

perhaps vegans don't talk about their food a lot around non-vegans, because it often causes arguements and upset (the non-vegans can get very defensive). i don't have any vegan friends in real life to talk about my food with, but i do talk to vegetarian friends, and non-veggie friends about food quite a bit.

Quote:
still. canada has million times better what to offer me than my origin country.

other than that. i think people in my country are much less knowledgeable about why other places has much better vegan food options.

but i also think people in my country in general are extremely unaware of the food quality in other places lie Us and canada. or others.

i think vegans (and non vegans) in Canada, America, the UK, and many other countries, are very lucky to have the level of money, choice, and availability of knowledge that they do. i also think many people who haven't travelled or learned much about the world, don't realise how much choice they have, or how lucky they are to have so much food, choice, and the opportunity to learn and study.

i think that most people learn about food and healthy eating from school and their family and friends, and the information they get isn't always useful or interesting enough for them to study it more, or remember it. i probably don't know anywhere near as much as i should about food. i think lots of the information we do get, isn't accurate either- eg: we are told that milk and cheese is good for us, when it makes so many people sick.

i think that in the 1st world people are so used to having food everywhere, and quite good healthcare, that we maybe put food into our mouths without thinking where it comes from, and how it affects us, and the world around us. hopefully vegans, because they have chosen a different path (that involves thinking about the world around them), are more likely to choose to learn and think about their food and their health, too.
#10 Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

thank you. i don't find myself replying in detail right now.

as to how i see things. vancouver seems to actually be the one to have better mock meats.

another question. there are mock meats shops in toronto? in vancouver there is one on main st.. it is a shop of mock meats importer, which seems to be imported from taiwan. but not sure that all of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page