I would die for a Filet O Fish - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM

For years this is the only thing I crave. I've actually broken down and had one a couple times in the beginning and felt really bad. I tried some expensive fake salmon and it was awful.

Is there any alternatives?

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Kreeli! Where is she!?

http://veganmania.com/recipes/index....tofu-sandwich/

She is amazing, btw.. Try her filet-o-tofu.
#3 Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a really good recipe. I'll post it when I get a chance. I posted the pic here before.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I would die for a Filet O Fish

You're not the only one.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Here's a recipe a friend of mine on another forum posted. It was OK, but I didn't like it that much... quite possibly because I left out ingredients I didn't have or couldn't find, like malt vinegar and veg buillon. Also, I understand nutritional yeasts vary a lot in flavor, and I really didn't like the kind I got.

Cali's Tofu Fish

Ingrediants:

1 block Extra Frim Tofu (Nasoya Brand, frozen and thawed)

1/2c Water

1 Bullion Cube (Knor Veg)

1/2c Malt Vinegar

1T Nori, cut into itty bitty bits

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

Pepper

1/2c Corn Meal

1/3c Flour

1/3c Nutritional Yeast

Veg or Canola Oil

Directions:

Heat oven to 350.

Press the previously frozen and thawed tofu for 10 minutes.

Boil the water. In a large tupperware square or rectangle pour in boiling water and bullion, stirring to disolve. Add to concentrated broth the nori and vinegar. Season if desired. Set aside

Slice the pressed tofu thinly resulting in 12+ pieces of 1" wide by 4" long and 1/8" thick strips.

Soak 10 min in the liquid, trying to have as much covered as possible. Flip over at 5 min if needed.

In a shallow dish mix the corn meal, flour and nutritional yeast. Season if desired.

Prepare a deep baking or roasting pan with enough oil to coat the bottom.

Gently remove (without pressing or draining) one strip at a time and dredge in the corn meal mixture and lay flat in the pan. Do not overlap, use additional pans if need be.

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

Remove and flip each piece over carefully. Add more oil if needed (ie: there is flour visible).

Bake for 15 to 30 minutes.

Serve with tartar sauce.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#6 Old 08-30-2007, 06:30 PM

I haven't tried this, as that's not a particular craving I suffer from, but I your post reminded me of this blog entry:

filet-no-fish

At least if would be really quick and easy, if it doesn't end up satisfying your craving.
#7 Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I seriously didn't know anyone ever bought these things. Even when I ate meat I didn't think anyone really ate them, I thought they were the joke of the McDonalds menu. (Of course now I realize the whole menu is a joke.)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to eat them.. and the chicken nuggets.

I am working on vegan mcnuggets. They're pretty close, so far. Still have a little more work.
#9 Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I seriously didn't know anyone ever bought these things. Even when I ate meat I didn't think anyone really ate them, I thought they were the joke of the McDonalds menu.

There was an interesting documentary on CNBC a month or so ago about McDonalds. The Filet-O-Fish was originally introduced on the McDonalds menu as a means of attracting patrons on Good Friday. The clown never missed an opportunity to squeeze an extra buck out of the public by any means possible.
#10 Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

hey, this stuff makes a killer to'fish-wich! you can find it at lots of regular supermarkets.

just cut a filet-o' sized piece of tofu, press it into the fish fry seasoning, and fry it up in a skillet (i use canola oil, about a half inch deep) until crispy, then flip and do the same on the other side. mix up a little vegenaise with some pickle relish for a quickie tartar sauce and serve the to'fish with a splop of the sauce, plus lettuce, tomato, pickles, whatever you like on a fresh bun.

this is really, really simple and fast (5 minutes) to make, but i think it might just hit the spot!!

ETA: - no need to worry about a 'binder', the seasoning will stick to the tofu itself perfectly.
#11 Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

There was an interesting documentary on CNBC a month or so ago about McDonald’s. The Filet-O-Fish was originally introduced on the McDonald’s menu as a means of attracting patrons on Good Friday. The clown never missed an opportunity to squeeze an extra buck out of the public by any means possible.

That's why they push it during Lent. So not JUST Good Friday, but EVERY FRIDAY during Lent.

The first thing they tried was a pineapple and cheese sandwich. Didn't do so well.

So Ray Croc said that the filet-o-fish would be a great "non-meat" sandwich.
#12 Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I seriously didn't know anyone ever bought these things. Even when I ate meat I didn't think anyone really ate them, I thought they were the joke of the McDonalds menu. (Of course now I realize the whole menu is a joke.)

I never liked fish but I would occasionally eat fish sticks or a Filet-O-Fish if it was slathered in tartar sauce.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually WORKED at a McDonalds as a young teen, I can tell you very, very few people ordered them. Yuck, lol.
#14 Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I had one twice when I still ate fish. I hate tartar sauce though.

I always felt like I was being ripped off because they're the same price as a big mac but about 1/4 of the size.

Odds are the fish itself can be easily imitated as it was complete c**p -mashed fish odds and ends, even in the UK where they go OTT on organic milk and breast meat mcnuggets.
#15 Old 08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

at the vegan restaurant here she makes a killer "fish n chips". it's some sort of soy patty with a bit of seaweed wrapped around the edges and then breaded. awesome stuff. don't have a recipe, just braggin :P

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#16 Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Fillet O Fish and Cheese Burger Suprise.

Take the top off one, the bottom off the other , stick them together...I used to LOVE this!

How sick is that!

The Insane clown posse has never really been a friend of mine (even pre vegan i had issues with that place), and I only frequented it a bit back in the day (lol, sounding like a ass-covering exercise yet?) ,i used to mainly drink the free refills coffee there as i waited for busses before work, yetch, I mean how the hell can you **** even that up!
#17 Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 AM

Wow! Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely try some of these recipes.

Thanks again!
#18 Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

hey, this stuff makes a killer to'fish-wich! you can find it at lots of regular supermarkets.

just cut a filet-o' sized piece of tofu, press it into the fish fry seasoning, and fry it up in a skillet (i use canola oil, about a half inch deep) until crispy, then flip and do the same on the other side. mix up a little vegenaise with some pickle relish for a quickie tartar sauce and serve the to'fish with a splop of the sauce, plus lettuce, tomato, pickles, whatever you like on a fresh bun.

Add just a pinch of kelp powder or crumbled dulse (types of seaweed) to the breading and it TOTALLY has very mild fishy-ocean flavor. Seriously good. Even though I never ate Filet-of-Fish or whatever...
#19 Old 09-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

I just fry up some fishless cakes and put them on a bun with vegan tartar sauce. Quick and easy.

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/329280.html
#20 Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Worthington used to have this product called "Filets" that tasted like fish sticks! I have no idea why they stopped making it. That and tuno!
#21 Old 09-01-2007, 03:59 PM

If you're in Europe or Australia, you can get some fake fish from Redwood: http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/produc...eli/index.html

Their stuff is a bit pricey, and the packaging is not particularly enviro-friendly, but they sure do a good job making it taste yummilicious

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 09-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

If you're in Europe or Australia, you can get some fake fish from Redwood: http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/produc...eli/index.html

Their stuff is a bit pricey, and the packaging is not particularly enviro-friendly, but they sure do a good job making it taste yummilicious

oh, I thought fake tuna didn't exist in the UK. And I love Redwoods why don't they sell this around here?
#23 Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Well, you can buy it online from Redwood direct, but the shipping is killer. Our local HFS orders the "chicken" pieces (absolutely marvelous ) for us from their distributor, so your local place might be able to get it as well. Also, I always see Redwood stuff in Holland and Barrett.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#24 Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Well, you can buy it online from Redwood direct, but the shipping is killer. Our local HFS orders the "chicken" pieces (absolutely marvelous ) for us from their distributor, so your local place might be able to get it as well. Also, I always see Redwood stuff in Holland and Barrett.

yeah there's quite a bit of Redwoods stuff round here but I've never seen the tuna. I might ask about getting it ordered in
#25 Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Worthington used to have this product called "Filets" that tasted like fish sticks! I have no idea why they stopped making it. That and tuno!

Heehee, I thought about you today. I was at an all vegan store in Seattle called "Sidecar". THEY HAD TUNO! I said I thought it wasn't being made any more and they said their distributor still has it. Interesting. Maybe it's old.....
#26 Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 AM

Hello, I don't know what a fish o filet is, but I do know that vege-farm makes "vegetarian fish filet". I haven't tried it myself because it's not for sale in Holland. It is however for sale in America, Germany and England. From the pictures I've seen it really looks like fish, so maybe it tastes like fish as well. Good luck and don't feel bad because you ate a couple of fish o filets.
#27 Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure what area you live in. In Los Angeles you can try the fake fish burger (tofu) at Oreans.

http://www.oreanshealthexpress.com/menu.asp
#28 Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Heehee, I thought about you today. I was at an all vegan store in Seattle called "Sidecar". THEY HAD TUNO! I said I thought it wasn't being made any more and they said their distributor still has it. Interesting. Maybe it's old.....

I bet that tuno is 10 years old... no, not really YAY! I'm thought of When I went to the HFS, they had "veg-tuna" made in Taiwan. Looked weird. Seriously though, tuno was GOOD. I still have it in my fridge... not sure if it's still edible. I'm using your idea: it's not going into the trash until it walks there itself! Especially since I can't find it anymore. I really need to e-mail the company.
#29 Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I was watching a McDonald's documentary last night. When the Filet O' Fish came out, McDonald's also tested out another Lent-friendly burger that was a slice of pineapple with cheese. Filet-O-Fish kicked Hawaii Burger's ass in sales the first day, and Hawaii Burger got canned. So maybe you could eat a pineapple burger and tell yourself it's almost the same as a Filet-O-Fish?
#30 Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But but.... don't you want to be a dollar menunaire?

My dad and I were out on the lake as a kid and I saw a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish wrapper float by as we were fishing. Talk about irony. A good imitation of a fast food fish sandwich actually sounds good. Scary that I would think that. (*shudder*)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page