Egg-free mayonnaise. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Hi!

I'm new in the UK (and into vegetarianism) and I'd like to know where I could find egg-free mayonnaise here. I've tried Asda, Tesco, Somerfield, Co-op... They don't have this anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegenaise...

I'm not sure if they have it in the UK, but it's yummy.
#3 Old 08-25-2007, 11:15 AM

They should have it... Not that they have many vegetarian stuff, but I'm hoping they DO have egg-free mayonnaise. I simply hate eggs. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm sure someone in the UK will be along to help you soon.
#5 Old 08-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

You can order Plamil's egg-free mayonnaise online (LINK). It's from the UK and it's delicious.
#6 Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Holland & Barrett stock a couple of brands, as should most health food shops.

A lot of the bigger branches of Tesco and Sainsbury stock it. Sainsbury do their own version in their "Free From" range.

You can also make your own. Let us know if you need recipies.
#7 Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

You can order Plamil's egg-free mayonnaise online (LINK). It's from the UK and it's delicious.

Thanks for that! I'll order it if I can't find it anywhere else. Do you know if the shipping fees are expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuckle View Post

Holland & Barrett stock a couple of brands, as should most health food shops.

A lot of the bigger branches of Tesco and Sainsbury stock it. Sainsbury do their own version in their "Free From" range.

You can also make your own. Let us know if you need recipies.

I've been to Tesco (2 different ones) and they don't have it. I'll try Holland & Barrett on Monday though. Maybe I'll be lucky! Otherwise I'll order it online.

Thanks!
#8 Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katezinha View Post

Hi!

I'm new in the UK (and into vegetarianism) and I'd like to know where I could find egg-free mayonnaise here. I've tried Asda, Tesco, Somerfield, Co-op... They don't have this anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

Kate

The asda or tesco (both hypermarkets) near us stocks 'mayola' in the 'free from' section. If yours doesn't try a hfs, if they don't have it on display - ask. Some of the smaller chains can order it in in their normal delivery which doesn't cost you any extra in postage.
#9 Old 08-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They should have it... Not that they have many vegetarian stuff, but I'm hoping they DO have egg-free mayonnaise. I simply hate eggs. lol

I haven't seen the brand veganaise, I think its just an american thing, but plamil do some and theres mayola and a few more. Theres a shelf at one of the health food stores in Newcastle that has a few makes with loads of different flavours.
#10 Old 08-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have Nasoya products there you might ask about Nayonaise.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 08-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

The asda or tesco (both hypermarkets) near us stocks 'mayola' in the 'free from' section. If yours doesn't try a hfs, if they don't have it on display - ask. Some of the smaller chains can order it in in their normal delivery which doesn't cost you any extra in postage.

Thanks for that. I went to a very large Tesco today but couldn't find it. I'm going to go back tomorrow and ask if they have a "free from" section or not.

I'm in Glasgow and it's very hard to find vegetarian things! It's even hard to fin tofu!
#12 Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

Ive seen it in my 'local' (err when im at university local) tescos!!!

In the 'ethnic groceries' bit - so it is found in supermarkets!
#13 Old 08-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

mayola is better than plamil I think

yeah Fona has said everything else I was going to say...
#14 Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm in Glasgow and it's very hard to find vegetarian things! It's even hard to fin tofu!

Try making your own tofu.... it's easy... and tastes soo much better than pre-packaged stuff.
#15 Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been, but when I was researching Glasgow (I was thinking of going to University there) I got the impression that it was very veg*n friendly. It definitely has a massive amount of vegan-friendly places to eat, although I don't know about supermarket shopping and stuff.
#16 Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuckle View Post

Try making your own tofu.... it's easy... and tastes soo much better than pre-packaged stuff.

Oh really? Is the recipe somewhere on the board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I haven't been, but when I was researching Glasgow (I was thinking of going to University there) I got the impression that it was very veg*n friendly. It definitely has a massive amount of vegan-friendly places to eat, although I don't know about supermarket shopping and stuff.

I don't really know about restaurants, but I know that about supermarkets, they don't have much choices.

Though the good news is that I finally got egg-free mayonnaise! It turned out that people working at Tesco told me they didn't have it without knowing it for sure. I went back today and asked if they had a "free from" section, and they weren't even sure at first... but then someone told me where it was. So silly. lol
#17 Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=Katezinha]Oh really? Is the recipe somewhere on the board?

This is what I do.....

Soak 500g soya beans overnight (tesco do their own brand for about 99p .. otherwise, healthfood stores)

Rinse them.

take one cup of beans and blend with two cups of cold water. Add one cup of boiling water and blend again.

Pour this into a sieve lined with tea towel/muslin over a pan. reapeat until it's all used up. Squeeze all the soya milk out of the bran (which is now discarded, it's very hard to digest).

Bring to the boil.... keep an eye on it... it can boil over all of a sudden.

Once at the boil, simmer for about 15 mins.

Now, mix 1 teaspoon of niagrin (Real Foods in Edinburgh do this mail order - it's not expensive) with half a cup of water and mix well. Pour this into the pan and stir really well. Curds will start to form almost immediately. Cook for a couple of minutes.

Now pour into a box will holes in it lined with muslin over a pan (I use a small sandwich box with holes drilled in)... and cover (I cut the sandwich box lid down so it fit right inside). Weigh it down (I use a double size tin of tomatoes) and all of the curds will collect in the box and the excess liquid will drain off (discard the liquid). Once all of the liquid has drained off and the weight has pressed down for an hour or so ... et voila ... beautifull firm tasty tofu.

Once you've done it once, it's really quick.

Good luck.
#18 Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if there's a Chinese population or Chinatown in Glasgow, but if there is try going to Chinese shops there for tofu. That's what I do here, and its much cheaper than getting it from the supermarket. It costs £1 for 800g, rather than £1.40 for 350g.
#19 Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Tesco's healthy living salad cream is accidently vegan and so is waistline salad cream (i think) It really creeped out me and Kate because we thought it should have eggs in which other brands do, but after reading a load of the labels its not uncommon for it to be vegan.

This could be useful instead of mayonaise, and its readily available.
#20 Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 AM

Thanks girls for the advices!

And thanks Honeysuckle for the recipe. I'm surely going to give it a try!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page