Holiday food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going on holiday soon (whoooo hoooo!! ) and will be self-catering. I want to try some new recipies to ring the changes. Things that won't take too long to prepare, but will be a treat. We won't be dining out (vegan food isn't really on the menu here!) but we do want to treat ourselves food-wise.

I'm relying on you all for some good recipes.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Banned

I first made this recipe while self catering in the Orkney Islands years ago. Any root veg will do. I also add reconstituted tvp chunks.

Hungarian Stew with Caraway Dumplings - Paul Gayler

2 tbsp olive oil

1 garlic clove crushed

100g (3 ½ oz) button onions

1 celery stick sliced

1 carrot sliced

½ swede cut in large dice

1 kholrabi cut in large dice

1 parsnip sliced

½ medium cauliflower cut in florets

1 potato cut in large dice

1 tsp caraway seeds

1 tbsp Hungarian paprika

1 tbsp tomato puree

2 tbsp plain flour

300ml ( ½ pint) white wine

600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock

salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the dumplings:

50g (1 ¾ oz) rye flour (if you don't have this just double the self raising flour)

50g (1 ¾ oz) self-raising flour

40g (1 ½ oz) vegetarian suet (or margarine)

pinch caraway seeds

1 tsp grated fresh horseradish (or from a jar)

Method

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and fry the garlic onions and celery over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until golden. Add the remaining vegetables and fry for 2 minutes until browned then add the caraway seeds, paprika and tomato puree. Cook for a further 3 minutes.

Add the flour and cook stirring for 2-3 minutes. Gradually pour in the wine and stock, stirring. Season and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender.

For the dumplings, place the flours in a bowl with a little salt and pepper. Stir in the suet, caraway seeds and horseradish. Add 4 tbsp water or enough to bind the mixture into a smooth, firm dough. Roll the dough into 12 separate 2.5cm (1 inch) balls.

Poach the dumplings in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes until light and fluffy. Place on the casserole to serve and sprinkle with the parsley.

You can also steam the dumplings on the top of the casserole for thelast 10 minutes of cooking instead of poaching them, if you prefer.
#3 Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Ankle Biter

okay - I'm guessing there must be some language confusion here. 1/2 a swede cut in large dice?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

okay - I'm guessing there must be some language confusion here. 1/2 a swede cut in large dice?

The chef Paul Gayler is British. swede in Britspeak is rutabaga in Americanese.
#5 Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Talk about a language barrier. Until MrFalafel replied, I couldn't understand what the confusion was about.
#6 Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Ankle Biter

Thanks - I did look it up to make sure we weren't going to start an international crisis by chopping up Europeans! The recipe looks wonderful, btw, and I'm going to print it out to make this autumn.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

First I would explore the HFS or shop online and grab a couple of new convenience products you've been meaning to try, so you're not in the kitchen all the time and it's still a treat.

Other than that, some things I've made on vacation include:

Bringing pre-made pizza dough and making pizza

Beans and rice

Made ahead casseroles (tamale pie, shepards pie, etc.) I bring the filling and then just top and bake.

"Bacon" Wraps w/ hummus, "bacon", shredded veggies, "mayo", etc. Wrapped in foil these travel fairly well.

Where are you going? That might give us some better ideas, if you're going to some tropical island you probably don't want a bunch of hot, slow cooked, food.
#8 Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

Talk about a language barrier. Until MrFalafel replied, I couldn't understand what the confusion was about.

My only confusion is why anybody would voluntarily eat a swede! Yuk. Hate 'em. The stew looks lovely though... and I would eat dumplings everday if they didn't go straight to my arse and hips!
#9 Old 08-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

First I would explore the HFS or shop online and grab a couple of new convenience products you've been meaning to try, so you're not in the kitchen all the time and it's still a treat.

Other than that, some things I've made on vacation include:

Bringing pre-made pizza dough and making pizza

Beans and rice

Made ahead casseroles (tamale pie, shepards pie, etc.) I bring the filling and then just top and bake.

"Bacon" Wraps w/ hummus, "bacon", shredded veggies, "mayo", etc. Wrapped in foil these travel fairly well.

Where are you going? That might give us some better ideas, if you're going to some tropical island you probably don't want a bunch of hot, slow cooked, food.

I'm holidaying in the south of france where I live (well, not exactly where I live, but a few hours drive).... I can't go further as I'm owned by two dogs!

So, weatherwise is a bit unpredictable at present. It's been like winter for a couple of weeks with a ton of rain... but now it is 27 degrees and a week of sun ahead ... so I'm hoping it will be quite hot .... not tropical island hot though! Oh how I miss holidays like that..... but my dogs come first now.

I much appreciate your suggestions... but I don't like pre-packaged and convenience food and I eat shepherds pie and chilli etc all the time. I'm after some dinner party type recipes. I like to cook so it's not a drag to spend a bit of time in the kitchen. (Eek! I sound really ungrateful after you taking the time to reply! Thank you, I do appreciate you answering )
#10 Old 08-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry about it. Cooking is my job, and I tend to make us fairly complicated meals at home so I like to vacation from cooking when I'm away and just eat junky convenience food

For nicer stuff maybe a leak tart, noodle bowls (stir fry veggies over rice noodles and shredded lettuce and herbs topped with ground peanuts), basil rolls, veggie sushi ( I think it's fun to make so it's like an activity and a meal), veggie milet cakes over sauteed greens, grilled veggie kabobs over a flavored rice (persian rice, etc.)

I hope thats more like what you're looking for, let me know if you want recipes.
#11 Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

I hope thats more like what you're looking for, let me know if you want recipes.

Yes please! *nodding furiously*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page