vegan peanut brittle? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

this stuff can't be that hard to make right? mix, chill, smash?

we sell some "homemade" brittle at work ant the ingredients list is really short, forget what all there was except butter was the first ingredient lol. i'm guessing i should be able to do this with earth balance, i'm just not sure about the measurements and prep.

as i posted in another thread, i'm going to an omni potluck. as well as a meal dish i'd like to bring a cheap easy dessert. there are always tons of desserts i can't have so i like to bring along some cookies or something. if i have something sweet in my hand the omnis don't give me their "awwww too bad you can't have this, it's sooooo goooood... wanna try, i won't tell anyone" spiel.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used margarine in peanut brittle with no problem. Here's a recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/2682.
#3 Old 08-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

http://urbanvegan.blogspot.com/2006/...panetonne.html

Urban Vegan has the BEST recipes on her blog. I've always had good luck with them.

If you want a slightly softer, more "butter-y" recipe though - I use this one:

1 C sugar

1/2 C light corn syrup

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 C water

1 cup shelled raw peanuts

2 T margerine, softened (NUCOA is vegan and cheap, and works WAY WAY better here than any other brand...)

1 tsp. baking soda

Have all the ingredients for this recipe measured out and ready before beginning.

This recipe requires that you react quickly and you do not have time to be measuring in between.

Grease a large cookie sheet.

In a heavy 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, heat to boiling the sugar, corn syrup, salt and water, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts.

Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.

Remove from heat; immediately stir in margarine and baking soda; pour at once onto a cookie sheet. With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14" by 12"; cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I've actually made peanut brittle once by just heating up sugar in a saucepan until it melted, added peanuts, and poured into greased pan. It was good.
#5 Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Weird... Peanut brittle over here is usually just brown sugar, malt and peanuts!
#6 Old 08-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

What is malt exactly? (I mean, we make malted milk with this gross malt flavor powder stuff, but I cannot imagine that in candy).

Yes, I live in a narrow, narrow little world.
#7 Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a type of sugar derived from grains (such as barley) which is heavy in maltose. I don't know why they use it instead of regular sugar, though.
#8 Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I like malt When I worked at Ruby's Diner, we had malts and I'd love a chocolate malt every now and then. Everytime a customer would ask what it was, I'd start to explain the grain thing *confused look*... then I'd say "it tastes like the inside of a whopper or Robin's egg."
#9 Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I love(d) whoppers....I miss them.
#10 Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

cool thanks

sounds easy enough to make. most desserts i usually make are too rich/sweet for a lot of people so this might be better to take, might actually get eaten lol

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#11 Old 08-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think there are vegan malt balls available. Let me check... I looked and couldn't really find anything. I found a recipe, but that's it.

I saw some carob malt balls at the local HFS, but I'm pretty sure they had dairy in them. Bummer. If someone veganized a ton of candy, they'd be rich!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page