Tofu on pizza? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi all.. this might be a silly question but i've been thinking of making vegan pizza (i did a simple one not long ago) and using more than just tomato and vegan cheese lol. I was wondering if pieces of tofu would work? Maybe if i fry it first then put it on to cook? Any ideas?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

yes , you answered your own question , just fry it first , You can also grate it with a cheese grater fry it in oil or oil, garlic , ginger combo then spread it over the pizza
#3 Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Or you could blend it up to make a topping ... there's a really nice recipe in the Millenium Cookbook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

When we were in Boston, we ate at a restaurant called Veggie Planet that used a tofu & basil mixture on the pizza. It was really good, though unfortunately I'm not sure what all was in it or how they prepared it.

It was definitely not fried.
#5 Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah cool, thanks all. I'll fry it for the first pizza and see how it works! Then i'll try blending. I'm not confident in the kitchen, so wanted to check if there's a chance it would work hehe.
#6 Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

You could always prepare tofu to be like scrambled eggs. That kind of tofu would taste good on pizza to me.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems to me that if you cooked it, and then put it on and baked it that it would make the tofu really dry and tough. Wouldn't it?
#8 Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Depends on the texture of the tofu and how long you cooked it. Every time you cook tofu you dehydrate it more which brings it closer to being dense and chewy. Frying it first might work really well.

If you started with soft (not silken) tofu, and fried it, then baked it on the pizza it might still even be somewhat fluffy.
#9 Old 08-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of soy cheese, but I loooooove tofu crumbled up with basil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil on top of pizza....mmmmm...

Clarexxx
#10 Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Thinly sliced smoked tofu might be nice in place of veggie pepperoni.
#11 Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Ahhh the world of cooking haha.. lots of options

I'll have a look around this site for the way to make the scambled egg type stuff.

Cookingveg- How would i do smoked tofu? Or can you buy it that way?

Thanks all, i'll take it what everyone's said and just experiment i think. Won't be doing it till the week after next, so i'll have time to think about it hehe.
#12 Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Crumbled tofu mixed with lemon juice, oil, nutritional yeast, salt, basil, oregano, rosemary, pepper, garlic and any other spices you like, plus some blended pine nuts or almonds if you like. Use en lieu of cheese. It won't taste the same and it won't really melt, but you'll have something creamy on top of your pizza.
#13 Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

You can buy smoked tofu. Like any other flavored tofu, it's more expensive than the plain.

Otherwise you take plain tofu out back to your large cylindrical meat smoking grill and fire up the coals. Oh yeah... I don't have one of those either.
#14 Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

Crumbled tofu mixed with lemon juice, oil, nutritional yeast, salt, basil, oregano, rosemary, pepper, garlic and any other spices you like, plus some blended pine nuts or almonds if you like. Use en lieu of cheese. It won't taste the same and it won't really melt, but you'll have something creamy on top of your pizza.

That sounds delicious!
#15 Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

You can buy smoked tofu. Like any other flavored tofu, it's more expensive than the plain.

Otherwise you take plain tofu out back to your large cylindrical meat smoking grill and fire up the coals. Oh yeah... I don't have one of those either.

Haha, store brought it is then!!

Wow thanks Snow White, that sounds really nice!
#16 Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to say smoked as well. It dries out a little and gets chewy unless you put it in the sauce or under some veggies.

And a "cheeze" sauce of blended tofu, cashews or pine nuts, lots of fresh basil and oregano and garlic, balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper blended till thick and creamy and drizzled (not a whole lot just dumped on) is an AWESOME pizza topper.

It doesn't melt, but solidifies a bit. Very tasty.
#17 Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Smoked tofu is awesome. Thinly sliced and sautéed in olive oil until crispy makes it taste like bacon.
#18 Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I was going to say smoked as well. It dries out a little and gets chewy unless you put it in the sauce or under some veggies.

And a "cheeze" sauce of blended tofu, cashews or pine nuts, lots of fresh basil and oregano and garlic, balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper blended till thick and creamy and drizzled (not a whole lot just dumped on) is an AWESOME pizza topper.

It doesn't melt, but solidifies a bit. Very tasty.

Sounds lovely! Wow i'm gonna be making a lot of pizza Hehe. Thank you.
#19 Old 08-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I always put tofu on homemade pizzas. My favourite is baked tofu (in bbq sauce), although sauteed is good, too. I cut the tofu into smallish chunks.
#20 Old 08-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking a smoked or baked tofu might be nice. They make an italian style one.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks all :-) Much appreciated.
#22 Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 AM

I cant get my head around the idea of tofu on pizza. Id rather use TVP.
#23 Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

You're from the UK aren't you? I get Cauldron's marinated tofu and put it straight on, it doesn't need frying. Sometimes I dip the pieces in seasoning or put a bit of soy sauce on them first, makes the taste a bit stronger. That tofu also doesn't dry out as much as the normal stuff does in the oven.
#24 Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Shantih, yeha i'm in the UK so will look out for that!

Hi Kali, what is TVP?
#25 Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 AM

TVP=textured vegetable protein. Its a high protein, low fat meat substitute. Looks like dried minced meat
#26 Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh thank you, i will look out for it.
#27 Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

TVP can usually be found in the bulk section of health food stores and is typically very cheap. It is a highly processed soy product, and as such shouldn't be one's primary source of protein.
#28 Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I cut it up into small squares and put it on my pizza. I don't cook it first but them again I eat it plain in salads ( right out of the container). Drain it really good however you make it or your pizza will be soggy. I put it on pizza with cooked broccolli, mushrooms, and onions. Yum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page