ingredients not listed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Beginner

i was walking past the bread counter in Morrisons the other day, smelt so nice i fancied some. I dont eat a lot of bread at all, but thought i would today. Anyway i looked around but couldnt find any listing of what was in the breads, notices around mentioning there products might contain nuts and seeds but nothing about dairy.

So i called someone to ask, eventually the manager came down to see me. He had no idea if the breads contained dairy or not. So off he goes to make some phone calls for me, came back saying he still couldnt tell for sure if the bread was dairy free.

What i want to know is, is it a legal requirement to list ingredents on foods? Im sure it must be, if not then it should be. I mean there must be people with dairy allergies as well as us vegans who need to know the facts of whats in our food.

Didnt buy the bread anyway, shame it looked and smelt so nice too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Beginner

I've noticed that a lot with bakery products. I don't worry about a bit of dairy in it myself, but they should do a better job of labeling for those who do (and I have passed up things because I wasn't sure about eggs). And besides, everything food-wise should have a complete list of ingredients so everyone knows exactly what they're putting into their systems.
#3 Old 07-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

i'm pretty sure they can get arround some of the food labelling laws (eg, b.b.e. date, and full ingredients disclosure) somewhat, if items are sold 'loose' and not 'pre-packaged'.

but according the the food standards agency and trading standards, bakery bread should still have the following information:

Quote:

Name – the name must be sufficiently precise to inform a purchaser of the true nature of the bread and to enable it to be distinguished from other products. In other words, because a customer could not tell simply by looking at the bread, whether it is wholemeal, wheat germ, etc, an appropriate full description must be stated.

If bread is sold unwrapped, this name must be given on a ticket or notice immediately adjacent to the bread.

The following descriptions may only be used if the bread meets the stated criteria:-

Wholemeal - all the flour used in the preparation of the bread must be wholemeal

Wheat germ - the bread must have an added processed wheat germ content of at least 10% calculated on the dry matter of the bread

Other descriptions, such as brown, soda and aerated bread, are no longer prescribed by law, but these types of bread and also bread containing additional ingredients such as milk products, egg products, rice flour, oatmeal, etc still need to be appropriately named.

Part-baked bread would also need to be identified as such.

Additives - if any bread, or any flour used, contains flour treatment agent, this must be stated on the ticket or notice alongside the name of the bread."

so, if i read that right, bread that has milk or eggs in it, it should be appropriately named... eg: milk loaf, egg-glazed rolls.

i'm very suprised that morrisons can't tell you whats in their bread. even if the bread mix that they use doesn't come into the back of the store in a bag with an ingredients label on it, if not, i'd assume that someone who bakes the bread follows some kind of recipe, at least- unless they just make it up as they go along?

i'd go bug them again about it a bit, or even better, call their head office/helpline and voice your distress to the poor teenage call-centre minion who answers the phone... you never know, you might get some vouchers outta them, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i'm pretty sure they can get arround the food labelling laws somewhat if items are 'sold loose' and not 'pre-packaged'.

Yeah, I think you're right. Usually it's the things that are baked in-house.
#5 Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Beginner

Someone i spoke to in the bakery told me that all bread by law must contain at least a spoonfull of powdered milk, he said it was due to a law passed during the war when the government decided the nation needed extra calcium in their diet as the ration didnt include enough of it.

Im not sure i agree with that, but he said its what he had been taught during his college days (and he didnt look like that was so long ago).
#6 Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDream View Post

Someone i spoke to in the bakery told me that all bread by law must contain at least a spoonfull of powdered milk, he said it was due to a law passed during the war when the government decided the nation needed extra calcium in their diet as the ration didnt include enough of it.

Im not sure i agree with that, but he said its what he had been taught during his college days (and he didnt look like that was so long ago).

That can't be right. There are people with allergies out there.(Even if they don't care about vegans) Do you mean that they don't put this in the ingredients list? Very strange.
#7 Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

That would be incorrect for the US. A lot of the time, the bread I eat contains: Flour, water, yeast, and salt.
#8 Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

That can't be right. There are people with allergies out there.(Even if they don't care about vegans) Do you mean that they don't put this in the ingredients list? Very strange.

Yeah thats what i argued with him but he insisted he was right.
#9 Old 07-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDream View Post

Yeah thats what i argued with him but he insisted he was right.

It's bull.

Plenty of bread has no animal products whatsoever.

As for the instore bakery stuff they are legally obliged to be able to tell you what is in the products.
#10 Old 07-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

this guy has got his facts wrong.... flour in the UK is fortified with calcium, and has been required by law to be so, since 1941, but calcium doesn't have to come from milk powder. the calcium added to bread is calcium carbonate (E170) which is otherwise known as chalk, and which is mainly sourced from mining. the proffesional bread people and science nerds on the internet say so, so there!

bread in the 20th century (calcium fortification): http://www.bakersfederation.org.uk/20th_century.aspx

nutrients in bread (fortification, additives, etc):

http://www.freshloaf.co.uk/Nutritional-Value-56

calcium carbonate (where its sourced, what it is, etc):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate
#11 Old 07-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're talking about Morrison's Cafeteria, the rolls are probably yeast rolls and it's likely they aren't vegan. This is usually due to whey, a dough conditioner like lanolin, or just the fact that the tray is slathered with margarine the moment they come out of the oven, in which case you could wait and get one.

This being said, I probably would have asked for a roll if they weren't pre-buttered. I really wonder if the manager could not have shown you the package that the frozen dough came in. (It was likely from Pillsbury or a similar industrial bakery goods supplier.)

Sadly, it sounds like these people were just not equipped to have someone ask about ingredients.

More thoughts:

Did the rolls have a nice brown crust on the top? That usually indicates an eggwash was used.
#12 Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Beginner

thanks hodded, i knew he couldnt be right, just sounded too weird. I mean people have allergies too, just would be stupid to add milk powder to all bread. If i see him again i will correct him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page