Isn't cold fruit soup just juice with a spoon? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Is cold fruit soup just juice in a bowl with a spoon?
Yea. It's trying to be something it's not. 0 0%
No! It's a delicacy! You have no class. 0 0%
Cold fruit what? 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand cold fruit soups (really, I don't understand hot fruit soups either... except tomato... but we're just playing with technicalities there). It seems like it's just a bowl of fresh juice or smoothie that you eat with a spoon??

Explain.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

well--your confusion over this issue is disturbing. would any soup be just the juice of whatever is in it? and a tomato is a fruit. so would a chilled melon soup with mint disturb you? it might have other ingredients that arent apparent. i think you need to rethink this or move on to somethink more important like "why isnt everything pink?"!!!lol i love fruit soup
#3 Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't recall ever eating cold fruit soup, and when I have tomato soup, I like it hot.

Are you worried about the way it's marketed? Is it becoming a way for companies to make more money on smoothies/juice? I can't imagine being concerned about the method someone prefers for eating soup/smoothie/juice except from a health standpoint. Drinking vs. spooning it is not likely to make a difference there.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I don't understand cold fruit soups (really, I don't understand hot fruit soups either... except tomato... but we're just playing with technicalities there). It seems like it's just a bowl of fresh juice or smoothie that you eat with a spoon??

Transfer your fruit juice or smoothie to a bowl and it magically turns into fruit soup.
#5 Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

ha ha...I've wondered the same thing! I have yet to actually taste one, but I can imagine it might be kind of good. I've heard someone say they love to dunk pound cake in fruit soup, just like you would dunk bread in a hot vegetable soup. Sounds delicious to me!

www.veganspoonful.com
#6 Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It seems like it's just a bowl of fresh juice or smoothie that you eat with a spoon??

The best that I can figure out is: there are spices/herbes used in cold fruit soup that wouldn't normally be used in smoothies and vice-versa. But then again, a lot of fruit soup recipes read like smoothie recipes and only the presentation is different.

imo, it's sort of like the difference between stuffing and dressing. Technically, they're 2 different things, but the terms are used interchangeably now.

skylark: I've never seen commercial cold fruit soup here. Interesting.
#7 Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of cold fruit soup.
#8 Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I don't believe in vegetable juice either... so maybe thats where some of the confusion lies. I would NEVER drink a glass of vegetable juice. It's like having a cold glass of pureed soup.

I guess I just don't think I could eat a bowl of cold fruit soup with a spoon. I'd want a glass and a straw... and a meal with it.

#9 Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I've never heard of cold fruit soup.

How about Gazpacho?
#10 Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

How about Gazpacho?

I have heard of Gazpacho.
#11 Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Its like Gazpacho... made of fruit.

#12 Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I am shocked that nobody has had cold fruit soup. There's several different kinds, although not something you find in most restaurants.
#13 Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Add me to the list of people who have never had it. I've seen recipes for cold fruit soups and I just said, "Whaaaa?" So yeah, I don't get it either. I'm one of the freaks who prefers my fruit in 'fruit' form so I'm not a big juice fan anyway.
#14 Old 07-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Fruit soup is usually thicker than juice, but not as thick as a smoothie. And if you straight drink it you don't appreciate the subtle flavors that you might if you savor it by the spoonful. Aw, come on, give it a try.

Cherry soup?

Is Chilled Avocado, Tomatillo and Cucumber Soup with Saffron-Lime Ice out of the question?
#15 Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wanting to try avocado soup, but usually just end up making guacamole

Seems like I read of someone making avocado ice cream. I'm not so sure about that flavor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page