Veggie Lo Mein - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Beginner

So I've been wanting to make my own veggie lo mein (the Americanized Chinese food way). But I don't really know what's in the sauce. I know there's soy sauce, but is that it? It can't be... Does anyone know, or have any suggestions, what's in it??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

speaking of lo mein, do the lo mein noodles at chinese restaurants contain eggs or dairy?

sorry i don't know the answer to your question. maybe you could do a search on www.vegweb.com?
#3 Old 09-06-2003, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

speaking of lo mein, do the lo mein noodles at chinese restaurants contain eggs or dairy?

sorry i don't know the answer to your question. maybe you could do a search on www.vegweb.com?

At restaurants, they typically use egg noodles.

I kinda miss getting veggie lo mein, but I'm over it... I suppose. heh.

But when I make it at home, I usually use rice noodles, or ramen noodles. I just had to learn to like it this way. I don't do much to it. I just toss the cooked noodles into a pan with a bit of water as cooking liquid, then add teriyaki sauce, and a bit of (low sodium) soy sauce, a bit of garlic powder, and some more water (otherwise it tastes too salty), and just cook it with whatever veggies I have on hand. Broccoli, carrots, snow peas, bell peppers. Whatever seems good to you. Just don't add a whole lot of liquid and you should be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Something easy and good is to cook up one packet of Thai Kitchen Ramen (garlic veg and spring onion are vegan) and add diced baked tofu and cooked veg, broccoli or a combo. Add a spoonful of chili garlic paste and a splash of tamari. It's really tasty and quick.
#5 Old 09-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been experimenting with different sauces to find a vegan lo mein.

1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter

3 Tbsp. corn or sesame oil

2 Tbsp. soy sauce

1 Tbsp. chili sauce

Red pepper flakes

Chopped green onions or chives, optional

Crushed garlic

Sesame seeds, optional

1/2 package lo mein noodles

Heat all ingredients in a frying pan except for the noodles until they melt together. Stir into the noodles. Add veggies or cubed tofu, if desired.

Spicy Sesame Noodles

2/3 cup (150 g) peanut butter

4 Tbsp. soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 green onion, chopped

2 Tbsp. sesame oil

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/2 lb. (225 g) noodles

2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

In a saucepan, combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, and green onion and mix well. Add the sesame oil and cayenne pepper. Heat slowly, whisking until smooth.

Meanwhile, cook the linguine according to the package directions. Drain. Place the linguine in a large bowl, add the peanut sauce, and toss to coat. Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot or cold
#6 Old 10-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Restaurant lo mein typically contains oyster sauce, so beware. The local place is nice enough to make mine with rice noodles instead of egg noodles, leave out the oyster sauce, and make it separately, so I can eat veggie lo mein there...but otherwise, there aren't any other restaurants where I can get it.

I'm looking for a good at-home recipe, though, and these look interesting.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#7 Old 10-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

There is vegetarian oyster sauce available. In China they seem to use shiitake mushrooms a lot in their vegetarian noodle dishes; they add a nice flovor. The wheat noodles are available with or without eggs.
#8 Old 10-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Grrrrrr....i had veggie lo mein last week. I asked the chef myself if it had meat or dairy or egg in it and he said no. It seemed to taste weird to me, so I bet there was oyster sauce.

I haven't made a boo-boo like that in a while!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page