calories in sprouted beans? [Also Featuring question about Raw Hummus] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

can someone guide me , i just brought a packet of mixed sprouted peas and lentils , it has chickpeas and peas and lentils and im wondering about how many calories they would have? and if i can use the chickpeas to make hummus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Not enough calories for you to be counting them. Hummus is from cooked chickpeas, and cooking your sprouts for so long probably wouldn't give you very appetizing results.
#3 Old 06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

i wonder if you could make falafels from the chickpeas.... i think they use raw chickpeas. i'm also pretty sure that you can put a good few handfuls or so of sprouts into a loaf of bread dough, (or into english savoury scones/american biscuits... maybe even cornbread too!) so that might be fun to try, if you bake. actually... i think i'm gonna try and remember to do that myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

They're not by any means fattening! Eat all you want. They're very nutritious and low calorie.

Alfalfa Sprouts, for example, have 10 calories per cup. If you ate 20 cups, you'd probably be very full and have only consumed 200 calories -- not even close to what you should be consuming in a day.

Take a look: http://www.annecollins.com/diet_nutr...eansprouts.htm
#5 Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Most of the raw hummus recipes I see involve either a nut or dried garbanzo beans. I suspect a raw hummus of sprouts would not turn out creamy. Why not take some raw tahini and a blender and give it a spin though?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

Wait! Here's one: http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/rawhummus.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page