what can/can't you freeze/dehydrate? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got a deep freezer (early bday gift from my parents) and hubby is getting me a dehydrator. So, does anyone have some good tips as to what you can/can't freeze? I plan on making the majority of our baked goods now, but would also like to par cook beans to freeze (I cook lentils and have been freezing them). It should be cheaper than buying cans of kidney beans. I was also thinking of freezing rice/homemade pasta. Does that work? It's a big freezer and I would love to take full advantage of it.

As far as the dehydrator, what is good for that. My mum just always made jerky. I would like to do fruits and maybe some veggies. Can you dehydrate frozen fruits? even after thawing them out?

I appreciate any inputs/ideas.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I freeze, literally, everything.
#3 Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice freezes well, I think. You might try freezing pasta once and then warming it back up. I am just wondering if that wouldn't make it mushy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't freeze corn on the cob. Yuck.
#5 Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 AM
Banned

Mom successfully froze corn on the cob, but I think she cooked it first. You might want to look that up somewhere. I can't exactly go ask her, and I don't remember. I do remember it was good.

I have a dehydrator. There are places on the web that can give you the latest updates on drying. I know sliced tomatoes, bananas, fruit rollups, were all easy to do. I think mixed veggie chip slices mildly seasoned would be delicious. I would dry them seperately, then mix. If they didn't work out for snacks, they would be a great way to store fresh veggies for soup.
#6 Old 05-29-2007, 01:45 PM

My mom did corn on the cob as well, and it was great! She cooked it/blanched it for maybe 8 minutes or so, then wrapped the cobs individually in plastic, and put several wrapped cobs in a freezer bag.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

I use to freeze corn with the husks and all ...seemed o/k when cooked up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page