question about shop-bought hummus and trans fat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

im wondering, i have two hummus i get from the store and im wondering if commercial hummus has trans fat?

it uses olive oil and canola oil........... im kinda thinking that once its made , the oils harden? any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe oils have to be hydrogenated to produce trans fats. Hummus shouldn't have any trans fats, in fact I was wondering who would put shortening into hummus when I opened this thread, lol.
#3 Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Once in Louisiana I found high fructose corn syrup in store bought hummus. WTH????

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 AM

Hummos shouldn't have trans fat, because trans fat is not really found in nature. So unless they hydrogenized the oil (this is done to lengthen shelf life), hummos should be trans-fat free.

Also, the nutrition label will tell you how much fat is in hummos, how how much of the fat is unsaturated (which is good), saturated (not so good), and trans (which is really bad). At least they do that here in the U.S., I don't know about where you are. Hope this helped
#5 Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

No.... the oils in hummus don't harden. As others have stated, oils with transfats are oxidized in a process called hydrogenation. This does not take place naturally. Always read the label, though. Look for "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated". If you see that in hummus, just run, run, run....
#6 Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'est_la_vegan View Post

Hummos shouldn't have trans fat, because trans fat is not really found in nature. So unless they hydrogenized the oil (this is done to lengthen shelf life), hummos should be trans-fat free.

Also, the nutrition label will tell you how much fat is in hummos, how how much of the fat is unsaturated (which is good), saturated (not so good), and trans (which is really bad). At least they do that here in the U.S., I don't know about where you are. Hope this helped

Actually I think that if the trans fat levels are less than 0.5g then they can label them as 0g trans fat. Its best to look for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils...
#7 Old 05-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

this confuses me .......... in australia we dont label yet with trans fat............so i dont really know just by reading the label, say i have this pasta sauce and it has olive and sunflower oil in it .... it says it has 2g per 100 saturated so how do i know if any is trans? also i herd certin oil ie. sunflower,vegetable oils once heated result in trans fat.
#8 Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Turning a fat into a trans fat requires a process called hydrogenation. JUST heating oils will NOT turn them into trans fats -- they need to be processed with hydrogen (again, hydrogenation). Fats that have been hydrogenated will be listed on labels as "hydrogenated whatever oil" or "partially hydrogenated so and so fat." I've never seen olive or canola oils hydrogenated.. it's usually things like palm oil or just generic "vegetable oil."

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

okay so if it doesnt say hydronated than its not trans fat? so if it says sunflower oil and its a hard texture product thats safe?
#10 Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that should be safe. I don't think I've ever seen a hummus with trans-fat in it. The texture of the hummus would be "hard" from the other ingredients like chickpeas and tahini.
#11 Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to buy 'low fat' humous from stores, only to realise they are all made with 'modified maize starch - I think anything 'modified' is from a GM crop.

I have switched back to regular, I dont care if its a few grams more fat Plus, its not like a really bad fat, and if its in moderation, all is OK.

Btw, no there shouldnt be hydrogenated fat in humous, but like everyone else said, just check the label. If it doesnt say so, then it shouldnt do
#12 Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post

I used to buy 'low fat' humous from stores, only to realise they are all made with 'modified maize starch - I think anything 'modified' is from a GM crop.

That's not what "modified starch" means. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Modified starch is a food additive which is prepared by treating starch or starch granules, causing the starch to be partially degraded. Modified starch is used as a thickening agent, stabiliser, or an emulsifier. Apart from food products, modified starch is also found in pharmaceuticals.

Modified starch should not be confused with genetically modified starch, which refers to starch from genetically engineered plants, which have been genetically modified to reduce the need for chemical processing (reducing cost, toxicity, or environmentally hazardous processes[citation needed]), or in order to produce novel carbohydrates which might not naturally occur in the plant species being harvested. The modification in this sense refers to the genetic engineering of the plant DNA, and not the later processing or treatment of the starch or starch granules.

Here's the link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page