Flax for Nothin'? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

While is sit enjoying my Arrowhead Mills Organic Hot Cereal, 4 Grain Plus Flax, I wonder why they focus on the flax. The ingredients are Organic Whole Cracked Wheat, Organic Steel Cut Oats, Organic Whole Rye Grits, Organic Whole Barley Grits, Organic Flax seed. Not only is flax the last (smallest amount) ingredient, but the flax is also whole seeds. In order to get the nutritional value of flax, I believe the seeds need to be ground. So many cereals and bars I see do this. So, what's the point? Do we really need to see the flax seeds? It seems like a waste to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with you.
#3 Old 05-15-2007, 10:25 AM

I thought it didn't work if it was cooked either. Is that true? I know you have to grind them but I also heard that you have to eat them raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw another brand (don't remember the name right now) that did the same thing - whole flax seeds on the outside of the bread, and focused on the flax in the name of the product. Apparently, some people like the taste that the flax seeds give the bread - kind of like putting poppy seeds on the outside of a bagel for no nutritional reason.

--Fromper

#5 Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikic View Post

I thought it didn't work if it was cooked either. Is that true? I know you have to grind them but I also heard that you have to eat them raw.

on a bottle of flax oil that i have it says you can safely heat up omega-3s up top 350F. but the bread was most likely baked at a higher temperature anyway
#6 Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Beginner

yeah. i mean, they sell ground up flax seeds that you can put in muffins and such, and if they're baked to a certain temperature, they still hold their nutritional value. i think the ezekiel brand breads are cooked to maximize nutritional value in the product, so maybe check those out if you're looking for that. but otherwise, i do agree. i think again it has more to do with the texture and the flavor that flaxseeds have, over their nutritional content.
#7 Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

can i ask something here.......... i eat LSA a mix of linseed , almond and sunflower seeds...... would this all be raw and would the flaxseeds be benifisial? im not sure if there ground but its pritty fine in texture the whole mix?
#8 Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Beginner

specialk12, is it a granola, or is it just a mix of raw nuts and seeds? if so, adding ground flaxseed to it would do just fine, and be beneficial. just so long as they aren't toasted above 350, you can even do the whole seed as well.
#9 Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

its already mixed its says .......... linseeds,sunflowerseeds,almond meal thats it and im wondering if i will get the benifits from the linseeds and if its raw....... it doesnt really say?
#10 Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Beginner

if it's sort of a snack mix that you eat without doing anything to, they probably roast the seeds beforehand. your best bet is to contact the company who puts them out, and ask them if they're raw. if they aren't, you could ask if they were cooked above 350 degrees, so as to keep the full nutritional benefit. if they were, then they really don't serve too much good, although i don't know if they're just ornamental/there for texture by that point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page