Good vegan cookbooks? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Ok, in case you haven't seen one of the numerous posts where I brag about it, I just bought Vegan with a vengeance. Now, I'm on the look for other great vegan cookbooks.

I don't have access to many ready-made vegan stuff (like tofutti or soy cheese), so the ingredients should be as natural as possible. But I love unusual cereals or flour, like spelt, quinoa or buckwheat! Agave syrup, arrow-root and seaweed-y stuff are also Ok.

So what do you think of:

How it all vegan

La Dolce Vegan

Vive le Vegan

Everyday vegan

Vegan Mediterranean kitchen

Voluptuous vegan

Vegan Cupcakes take over the World

I'm open to any cookbook suggestion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like Vive le Vegan. Dreena Burton uses a lot of unusual grains. The recipes are clear and easy. My family loves the Quinoa-Hummus casserole with roasted vegetables on top, the cannellini bean yam hummus, and the Miso gravy. Oh and the coconut lime cookies. I have made about 1/2 of the recipes in the book and there hasn't been an inedible one.

I have How it all Vegan, La Dolce Vegan, and the Garden of Vegan. All have good recipes and make interesting reading.

Nava Atlas cookbooks are good, basic ones to have. I like the family vegetarian cookbook.

You know about VWaV. The cupcake book is very good too.

If you don't have access to a lot of vegan cheeses you might want to look at The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak.

I have a little bit of a cookbook addiction so I have quite a few that have great text and pictures but I don't use them very much
#3 Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Cupcakes! Of the Kramer books, I liked La Dolce Vegan the best, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan With A Vengeance.
#5 Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Vegan With A Vengeance.

I already have it! I think it's great... I've already made a few recipes (seitan, seitan stroganoff, orrechiete with cherry tomatoes, lemon poppy muffins, veggie chorizo...) and they all came out great! Even my omni boyfriend loved them.

I'm really tempted by Vive le Vegan and Vegan cupcakes but I've read mixed reviews on Kramer's books... Maybe I should start with buying just one and see how it goes.

Tell me about cookbook addiction!
#6 Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Another good one is Vegan Planet. I like that is has some sample menu ideas for hosting a dinner.

http://www.veganpeace.com/cookbook_r...eganPlanet.htm
#7 Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Like many here, I'm a cookbook junkie and have too many of them. I've listed a few that I use frequently. The last two books are not cookbooks, but have been very helpful to me.

Modern Vegetarian Kitchen - This is one of my favorite books - I have two copies. Almost all the recipes are vegan, and the author mentions he was sensitive to vegans while writing the book. This is an excellent cookbook for vegetables, and is what I call natural cooking. I have a gag reflex to many vegetables (cabbage, asparagus, etc), but with the help of these wonderful recipes, I've somewhat been cured. The cookbook is well presented, and the authors comments are educational.

The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen -- Both of Donna's books are excellent. I would consider these natural cookbooks, so you won't find "fake ingredients" here. The majority of the recipes have common ingredients and are easy to make. The only thing I don't like is the crowded format of the book.

Compassionate Cook -- The presentation of this book is not that great, but it does have some great recipes. The majority of the recipes have common ingredients and are easy to make. I use this book very frequently.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World -- I'm not into desserts and usually avoid that section in cookbooks. I also wasn't a huge cupcake fan, but for whatever reason, I decided to give this book a chance. Thanks to this book, I'm now a huge cupcake fan. The book is very informative and the recipes are easy to make. You can be as fancy or as dull as you want to be. I personally just make the cupcakes, and forget the icing and decorating.

The Garden of Vegan -- I personally have a love/hate relationship will all of Sarah's books, and I'm probably in the minority here. To me there is too much fake stuff in her books, and in La Dolce Vegan she even has an entire chapter called "Faux Fare". I also don't care for alll the pictures of her and all the gibber-jabber - some people like that though. The strength of these books is the common ingredients and relativity ease of the recipes. There are some killer recipes here, and I do use them a lot.

The World's Most Healthiest Foods -- This is not a vegan book, but if you want improve your skills at cooking this is a must have in my opinion. The book is over 800 pages long - it's huge. The strength of the book is that it tells you how to prepare, how to store, shelf life, best way to prepare the food, simple recipes etc. The author's website has many book samples at http://www.whfoods.com/newbook/booksamples.php.

Food Lover's Companion -- I'm not a fan of dictionary style books, but this is a very rare exception. I use this book for looking up ingredients I'm not familiar with. It tells you what it is, when it's in season, what it taste like, and generally where to find it. I find this book very helpful when it comes to shopping and substitution. Highly Recommended!
#8 Old 05-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost forgot this cookbook.

Vegan World Fusion Cuisine -- This is the most gorgeous cookbook I own, and it's no wonder why it won the Nautilus Book Award. I use this book when I want to try something different, or I'm in the mood to experiment. I was afraid that this book would have a lot of exotic ingredients. Although it does have a few, most can be substituted to some extent. If you live near a Whole Foods you won't have a problem in most cases.
#9 Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobarbie View Post

Vegan World Fusion Cuisine -- This is the most gorgeous cookbook I own, and it's no wonder why it won the Nautilus Book Award. I use this book when I want to try something different, or I'm in the mood to experiment. I was afraid that this book would have a lot of exotic ingredients. Although it does have a few, most can be substituted to some extent. If you live near a Whole Foods you won't have a problem in most cases.

This is the AWESOMEST cookbook ever! It's beautiful....
#10 Old 05-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Beginner

I am soooooo glad I came across this thread. Thank you thank you thank you for all these book ideas.
#11 Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Beginner

Thank you Technobarbie! I've ordered Vive Le Vegan, Voluptuous Vegan and Vegan Cupcakes. I'm saving some of your suggestions for my next order...
#12 Old 05-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

Thank you Technobarbie! I've ordered Vive Le Vegan, Voluptuous Vegan and Vegan Cupcakes. I'm saving some of your suggestions for my next order...

Anytime guys.

Your gonna love that cupcake book, I'm making a batch as we speak.

PS: Whatever you do, don't try to find out how many calories are in those cupscakes. It will make you cry.
#13 Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Beginner

What? But cupcakes have no calories, that's a well-known fact!
#14 Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Planet is my all time favorite cookbook.
#15 Old 06-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobarbie View Post

Thank you so much for this suggestion! I ordered Vegan World Fusion Cuisine a few weeks ago. It is a beautiful cookbook. I've only tried two recipes but they were clearly explained and delicious. Very fresh tasting. My son is not a big fan of casseroles but I made the "Om Great Spirit Black Rice Polenta Casserole" and topped it with the "Roasted Red Pepper Sauce" - he loved it and had leftovers for breakfast.

If I'm feeling very ambitious next weekend I'm going to try the "Isle of Mu Rainbow Casserole". It is a layered grain casserole and the grains are cooked in different colored vegetable juices and broths to create a rainbow effect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page