Cutting boards - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

What type you y'all use? Do you like them?

We need to get a new one, as K's old wooden one is starting to split. But, I'm often not convinced that wood gets all the way clean. There are all sorts of plastic/polyethylene varieties. There's glass (I've never used that). My nanny family had a marble one, but I'm not sure how much chopping they did on it.

Help!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a plastic one, which is nice and colorful (orange!) but knives do tend to scratch its surface. Now it has a lot of shallow grooves on both sides and it looks kinda ugly...I might get a new one, too.

My mom has a glass one, but I can't stand using it, because it's so noisy when the knife hits the glass. I don't know if marble would be a lot quieter.

I think perhaps cutting boards are just one of those things we have to periodically replace.
#3 Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 AM

I have a bamboo one and a plastic one. I've had them for two years, and they've held up just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

since i think plastic is the scourge of the earth, don't get plastic!

that said, glass ones suck because they are SO LOUD (as mentioned) and, i think, they dull your knives.

i have a bamboo one now, and love it. i've had wood and loved those too.

from what i've read, wood is actually BETTER than plastic in terms of being sanitary. here is one thing about that from UC Davis.
#5 Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an old plastic smaller one that has a ton of cuts/scratches in it. I don't ever feel that it gets very clean. It's my backup one now.

My "good" one is glass. I love it and would never have anything but, except maybe for marble as mentioned above. Glass is easy to clean and doesn't get all cut up like plastic does. My knives don't seem to be getting any duller at all.

Yeah it makes some noise but it really doesn't bother me. And I like knowing that I can get it really clean.
#6 Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a wooden cutting board.

Boards do wear out, and I wonder where the material goes...

I rather eat wood then plastic
#7 Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

marble boards will ruin your knives so id suggest going with a wood or bamboo one.
#8 Old 05-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Have no fear, the Dollar Tree sells awesome $1 plastic ones that work great.
#9 Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

I've got a wooden cutting board.

Boards do wear out, and I wonder where the material goes...

I rather eat wood then plastic

Too true. I've mostly been worried about bacteria and "stuff" getting into the nicks on the board.

They have some nice locally crafted ones here, made from wood, so I may check those out.

Does anyone "treat" or oil their board?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have bamboo and it's great. I've used it almost every day for nearly a year, and it shows barely any wear. Bamboo is such a hard wood, it holds up really well. No grooves yet. And yes, I treat it every now and then by rubbing mineral oil into it. Basic mineral oil from the grocery store - you are not supposed to use food oils, like olive oil, because they will go rancid. It keeps my board from getting too dried out.
#11 Old 05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Ankle Biter

Yep, you're supposed to oil your wooden cutting board periodically. You can get oil at any culinary store.

I'm fine with using wood now that there is no meat in the house.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a bamboo one and like it alot! Of course if you chop alot of garlic or onions, you'll have to do the whole lemon scrub thing to get rid of the smell!

HTH,

Michelle
#13 Old 05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

I have a bamboo one and like it alot! Of course if you chop alot of garlic or onions, you'll have to do the whole lemon scrub thing to get rid of the smell!

HTH,

Michelle

now why on earth would anyone want to do that
#14 Old 05-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Bamboo is sounding better and better. One of the ones I saw at the local snooty culinary shop yesterday was treated with food oil, with I thought was strange since, as mentioned, it might go rancid. Weird.

#15 Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend has a bamboo one and likes it ... one of the benefits of the bamboo ones are that they are naturally anti-microbial - which is a property of the bamboo. We live in a dry climate and the board did come with instructions to oil it with plain mineral oil - which we bought too ... otherwise the bamboo can split.
#16 Old 05-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Does anyone "treat" or oil their board?

I wash mine, and rinse it off with bloody hot water

The water from my tap is so hot it hurts my hands, so that's hot enough to kill most bacteria.

And I let my wooden board dry good too, the dryer it is, the less change bacteria will be able to live on it (if they do at all)
#17 Old 05-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my plastic ones, because I can toss them in the dishwasher when they need to be cleaned. Easy, and I know they're getting super-clean.

Glass & marble will indeed dull your knives.
#18 Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I have had glass boards, and the sound did drive me crazy, although I loved the look and how clean it got.

Right now I have a plastic one that is on it's last legs.

I think I might look into getting a bamboo one once my plastic one dies, or I get around to it, whichever comes first.

Good thread Jen!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#19 Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Bamboo is sounding better and better. One of the ones I saw at the local snooty culinary shop yesterday was treated with food oil, with I thought was strange since, as mentioned, it might go rancid. Weird.

This may be a lost in translation kinda thing but are you sure it didn't say "food grade mineral oil" or the UK equivalent?
#20 Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for "glass and marble will indeed dull your knives". Plus there is that horrid sound everyone mentioned.

Bamboo is wonderful wonderful wonderful. Too bad I can't afford it.

I know that wood is supposed to be a good sanitary option, but I instictively feel like it's always dirty, no matter what.

I have several plastic ones, of varying shapes, sizes and colors. Until they die, I can't justify spending money on the GORGEOUS bamboo cutting boards they have at my local HFS.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#21 Old 05-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I like marble for rolling out the doughs (and chocolate mmm), and wood for cutting. I had a glass one but I think in last year's version of this thread Tofu mentioned "glass chips in food" or some such and I freaked out and threw it in the recycle bin. I had a plastic one years ago but they're ugly and gross. One time I had to pick a little plastic "thread" out of something from my Ginsu carving away the surface.

Right now I have a big thick slab of checker board wood. It was really cheap too, I think $25 or so, courtesy of Ikea.

ETA: Be really careful washing your wooden boards, they can warp especially if you just wash one side under running water.
#22 Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know where they get the bamboo from to make the chopping boards? Is it sustainable?
#23 Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I stick with wood. I have a plastic I keep in case my roomies want to cut meat but I never use it.

I'm super anal about my knives so I'd never have glass or marble (though marble would be nice for dough, chocolate and the like). I also cut a lot of winter squashes and other hard veggies and I don't like the sound of a knife smacking glass that hard.

I have a bit wooden one that was my grandmother's now but I need to buy a new one. It's not quite on it's last legs, but since I'm the third person in my family to own it I'd like to keep it as long as possible.
#24 Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I love my plastic ones, because I can toss them in the dishwasher when they need to be cleaned. Easy, and I know they're getting super-clean.

Same here.
#25 Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenarmadillo View Post

Does anyone know where they get the bamboo from to make the chopping boards? Is it sustainable?

The current explosion in the bamboo market is driven by the fact that it is a sustainable resource. It grows very quickly in marginal ecosystems.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#26 Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I use plastic because it can go in the dishwasher.

For wooden cutting boards, I too have heard that mineral oil should be used to condition them. I also put mineral oil on any wood parts (e.g., knife handles) that go in the dishwasher.
#27 Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

For wooden cutting boards, I too have heard that mineral oil should be used to condition them. I also put mineral oil on any wood parts (e.g., knife handles) that go in the dishwasher.

Mineral oil = oil from the earth = "motor oil"

My board stays dry, or maybe some vegetable oil on it, but no mineral oil for me
#28 Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

i think the point is tho, that with plastic no matter how you wash them once they have scratches it is really impossible to get them "super-clean", unlike wood/bamboo. at least, from the studies i've read.
#29 Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmmmm.... I guess with plastic, what it really boils down to is how harmful to your health the dirtiness is. I eat all my vegetables unpeeled and rinsed. Every once in a blue moon, I get that familiar "dirt crunch" and think "I could've sworn the spinach and carrots were rinsed well."
#30 Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerks View Post

I had a glass one but I think in last year's version of this thread Tofu mentioned "glass chips in food" or some such and I freaked out and threw it in the recycle bin.

True story. Happened to me and since then, I've read several reviews online regarding the use of glass cutting boards that freaked ME out as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page