What to do with squash blossoms? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just back from the farmer's market where I got a big bag of zucchini squash blossoms with tiny zucchini attached. I thought I would saute them with a bit of olive oil, some garlic and possibly another vegetable like corn. I was planning on serving them as a side with vegan tamales.

Most of the recipes I have found online seem to either stuff them with cheese or use them in egg dishes. I hope that what I'm planning on doing will turn out.

Have you cooked with squash blossoms before? Do you have a recipe or method that you would share? (I did search the site first.) TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

These are one of my favorite things out of our garden. What you have mentioned sounds really good.

I usually just mix up some ricotta cheese, egg, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, pinch of sugar, parsley and stuff them and pan fry them in olive oil.
#3 Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never used them from my own garden. I always let them mature and then we have way too much zucchini come August.

Your recipe sounds delicious and I might try something like that another time but my daughter is visiting for the weekend and she doesn't eat cheese.

I have challenged myself to try something unfamiliar every week until I run out of new and different things locally. We have planted some different types of things in the garden too. I'll probably be here a lot looking for ways to use it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll bet you could stuff them with just about anything. Just think of them as a little pasta shell, but yummier.
#5 Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

ooh, you have to share how this turned out..
#6 Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

It turned out wonderfully!

I sauteed some garlic in some olive oil, added about a cup of corn kernels and the tiny zucchini and let that cook for a bit. Then I added the squash blossoms and about 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves and just let it cook down a little. Some ground pepper and salt sprinkled on top and it was great! I served it with pinto beans and vegan tamales which were stuffed with zucchini and corn. Everyone is too stuffed for the blueberry tarts with soy vanilla ice cream that's for dessert.

My oldest daughter is home for the weekend and I love cooking for her.
#7 Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it when our blossoms start in our garden.

I wish I had one of those blueberry tarts....
#8 Old 04-06-2007, 06:32 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Beer Battered Blossoms: Mix 5 tblsp. flour and 1/2 cup Beer. Dip Zucchini Blossoms in batter. fry until golden brown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page