Where can I find... (nutritional yeast in Ontario) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Beginner

Nutritional yeast in Ontario, Canada?

I have been wanting to make sort of a breaded tofu type deal for a while now. Only I don't know where to buy the nutritional yeast. I haven't yet had a chance to look at the one health food store we have where I live (Joanne's Place), but that's abou the only place left that I haven't checked (and ironically probably the most likely place to have it). None of the grocery stores where I live seemed to carry it or even kinow what I was talking about really.

Where do you get your nutritional yeast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Weird...I live in a small crappy town in Northern New Brunswick and can find the nutritional yeast at the grocery store...in the health food/organic section.
#3 Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Every Bulk Barn carries it, it's in with the spices. Usually under "Y" even though it starts with an "N". I don't know where you live but most malls in Ontario have one:

Store Locations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Because it should be in the fridge, if it's in a bin at bulk barn, I wouldn't buy it there.

All of the Loblaws/Zehrs/Fortinos/Superstore stores carry it. They have two brands: Purely Bulk and Bob's Red Mill.
#5 Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Beginner

I've never heard of nutritional yeast having to be refrigerated. I store mine in an airtight container in the pantry.

When I lived in Ontario, I bought nutritional yeast at the local Seventh-Day Adventist store [Country Life]. They bought the stuff in bulk and bagged it up for individual sale themselves. It was shelved with the seasonings and spices.

Now I live in Nova Scotia and I can buy it at Sobey's in the health food section. It's sold under the Bob's Red Mill brand, but try to find it in bulk if you can, because Bob's is ridiculously expensive.
#6 Old 04-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Just remember though that not all nutritional yeast is fortified with B12 (I believe the Bulk Barn's is not... it has to specifically say Vegetarian Support Formula or something along those lines). If you just want it for the flavour though, they all taste pretty much the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page