VeggieBoards banner

Bugs on organic produce

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ChiKat 
#1 ·
Sometimes I buy organic romaine lettuce from Trader Joe's and see tiny bugs on the leaves. Little red ones. Do I throw it in the toss bin or simply wash them off?

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softybabe Lacey View Post

throw....out....be....safe.
Do you have any idea how many you don't see? I wouldn't throw it out- the fact that bugs are eating it is a good recommendation!

I would wash it- regardless of the bugs. I soak produce in cold water with a splash of vinegar, then rinse.

It's not bugs you can see, but parasites and bacteria that's bad for you.

I would not put bugs from unknown sources outdoors. You could be introducing an invasive, or foreign species to your locality.
Know about the Emerald Ash Tree Borer as an example? Soooo many ash trees had to be cut down and burned from the disease they spread!

#10 ·
I used to buy kale from this one stand at the farmers market, and it was always covered in little gray bugs! I tried washing and picking them off, but it was nearly impossible to find all of them. I was too grossed out to enjoy my salads, so I stopped buying from that stand.
sad.gif

So I can relate to your frustration! I've never seen bugs on Trader Joe's produce though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.