VeggieBoards banner

Homemade seitan: came out kinda rubbery

15K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  penny79 
#1 ·
I basically followed this following recipe:http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cooki...owToSeitan.htm

I just subbed in a steak marinade/sauce (vegan of course) instead of the soy sauce.

after I followed this steps, I also subbed in the sesame ginger sauce for the bbq sauce and cooked it up in the pan.

the end result was pretty good, except the texture was a bit on the rubbery side.

any ideas??

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I always use the recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance and it always comes out perfectly (i've made it 6-7 times).
That's a pretty good one. I also recently found this one

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...c.php?id=15959

which is for baked (not boiled) seitan, and it turned out very well. I shocked some people by bringing a sandwich with slices of this - they thought I was eating sliced sausage

The original "wheat meat" recipe on the gluten flour bag (I only tried the "washing out regular flour procedure" once, and quickly decided to buy wheat gluten instead) would be inedible, too (never tried it, but can sure tell from reading it).

#8 ·
I've always heard that the trick to good seitan is never let your water break bubbles. Once you do, rubbery seitan will be your end result. I did a recipe once that called for boiling the seitan and OMG it was a rubbery, spongy, chewy, awful mess.

The next time I make seitan, I'm trying PPK's baked method instead.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I've always heard that the trick to good seitan is never let your water break bubbles. Once you do, rubbery seitan will be your end result.
Yeah I guess I should have written "simmered" (not boiled, which is not a good idea for "cooking" seitan). The baked stuff is even better though anyway.

#12 ·
I've made about 10 lot's of seitan and it's ALL tasted like glue (albeit with a couple of flavours). I tried the baked one on the PPK website and it was really good however when I subbed some of the flavours it was awful so I scrapped that one too. I'm seriously ready to give up on seitan!! Maybe I just don't like it. I've boiled it, baked it and roasted it and tried a billion combinations of flavours, but all ick!!

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eich View Post

Made seitan before using traditional kneading under water, but when I tried using wheat gluten it came out HORRIBLE. Any thoughts?
My seitan used to be terrible until I started following detailed recipes and took advice from people who were successful at it. Ellen's recipe link above is amazing and easy to follow.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eich View Post

Made seitan before using traditional kneading under water, but when I tried using wheat gluten it came out HORRIBLE. Any thoughts?
You can buy wheat gluten at the store or online, so you don't need to do the "knead bread flour under water" thing at all. Falafel's link is pretty decent, and as mentioned any Bryanna seitan recipe turns out quite good.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

That's a pretty good one. I also recently found this one

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...c.php?id=15959

which is for baked (not boiled) seitan, and it turned out very well. I shocked some people by bringing a sandwich with slices of this - they thought I was eating sliced sausage

The original "wheat meat" recipe on the gluten flour bag (I only tried the "washing out regular flour procedure" once, and quickly decided to buy wheat gluten instead) would be inedible, too (never tried it, but can sure tell from reading it).
I tried this recipe today! Thanks for the link, very zesty (I used a little bit more cayenne). The texture was a lot more palatable and the outside was crispy.

#25 ·
I think I officially give up. I have once again made bodgy seitan (I baked it and made it from scratch so have sore arms from knead knead kneading and it came out all holey like dry bread). Sigh, gross dinner again for me
(yes, I've tried that ppk one but it came out holey for me too and was too spicy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.