Homemade seitan: came out kinda rubbery - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I basically followed this following recipe:http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cooki...owToSeitan.htm

I just subbed in a steak marinade/sauce (vegan of course) instead of the soy sauce.

after I followed this steps, I also subbed in the sesame ginger sauce for the bbq sauce and cooked it up in the pan.

the end result was pretty good, except the texture was a bit on the rubbery side.

any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I made the recipe in Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Family Cookbook and it was barely chewable. I usually use this recipe: http://www.veganlunchcast.com/2006/0...w-to-make.html but the other one sounded easier, and it was, and inedable as well. lol. Try that recipe!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks,

that's one of the ones I originally had in mind, but was missing a few of the ingredients. I'll have to try it in the future though!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Recipes with tofu or soy flour (or both) will be less rubbery. Try any of the recipes on Bryanna Clark Grogan's web site: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search.
#5 Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I always use the recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance and it always comes out perfectly (i've made it 6-7 times).
#6 Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I always use the recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance and it always comes out perfectly (i've made it 6-7 times).

That's a pretty good one. I also recently found this one

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...c.php?id=15959

which is for baked (not boiled) seitan, and it turned out very well. I shocked some people by bringing a sandwich with slices of this - they thought I was eating sliced sausage

The original "wheat meat" recipe on the gluten flour bag (I only tried the "washing out regular flour procedure" once, and quickly decided to buy wheat gluten instead) would be inedible, too (never tried it, but can sure tell from reading it).
#7 Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you guys think those recipes would taste bad without the nutritional yeast? Is there anything I could use to replace it? Cause no one sells it here in Brazil.
#8 Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always heard that the trick to good seitan is never let your water break bubbles. Once you do, rubbery seitan will be your end result. I did a recipe once that called for boiling the seitan and OMG it was a rubbery, spongy, chewy, awful mess.

The next time I make seitan, I'm trying PPK's baked method instead.
#9 Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I've always heard that the trick to good seitan is never let your water break bubbles. Once you do, rubbery seitan will be your end result.

Yeah I guess I should have written "simmered" (not boiled, which is not a good idea for "cooking" seitan). The baked stuff is even better though anyway.
#10 Old 03-21-2007, 01:59 PM

VwaV's recipe is excellent.

I think the major thing I see missing here is to let the seitan cool in the broth after you have simmered it. I let the seitan sit for at least an hour--and I've never had consistency problems.
#11 Old 03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive been meaning to try Verdants recipe for Seitan Bulgogi for several months now, but just havent quite gotten around to it. Ive made several of his other recipes though, and they were pretty good.
#12 Old 03-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Beginner

I've made about 10 lot's of seitan and it's ALL tasted like glue (albeit with a couple of flavours). I tried the baked one on the PPK website and it was really good however when I subbed some of the flavours it was awful so I scrapped that one too. I'm seriously ready to give up on seitan!! Maybe I just don't like it. I've boiled it, baked it and roasted it and tried a billion combinations of flavours, but all ick!!
#13 Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people don't like it. My bf calls it "meatbread" but he's beginning to like it.

Maybe try using small amounts at first, such as in a pot pie, or stir-fry?

Personally, I love it and don't mind if it's rubbery.
#14 Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Bryanna Clark Grogan's seitan is the best homemade seitan I've ever had. I strongly recommend getting her Chinese cookbook, as it has a variety of seitan recipes which are all extremely good.

but if not... 4evergrounded was right - don't boil it. That will lead to spongy seitan.
#15 Old 03-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned

Tried and tested seitan recipes here. These all work out very well and everything is thoroughly explained.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/wheaties.html
#16 Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Made seitan before using traditional kneading under water, but when I tried using wheat gluten it came out HORRIBLE. Any thoughts?
#17 Old 03-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eich View Post

Made seitan before using traditional kneading under water, but when I tried using wheat gluten it came out HORRIBLE. Any thoughts?

My seitan used to be terrible until I started following detailed recipes and took advice from people who were successful at it. Ellen's recipe link above is amazing and easy to follow.
#18 Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Not to change the subject, but seitan freezes well, doesnt it? I could make a large amount at one time and freeze it for later, right?
#19 Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that's what TNS does, Washoe.
#20 Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Seitan freezes wonderfully! Put it in broth and then in a large ziploc bag and it sorta marinates too! Or just freeze random chunks/slices/pieces with no liquid...

Either method works great and the nice thing is that the texture does not change a bit!
#21 Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

How long do you freeze it for? Just curious how long it will keep its texture/freshness :-)
#22 Old 03-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eich View Post

You can buy wheat gluten at the store or online, so you don't need to do the "knead bread flour under water" thing at all. Falafel's link is pretty decent, and as mentioned any Bryanna seitan recipe turns out quite good.
#23 Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I've kept seitan in the freezer (frozen in broth) for over a year. There was basically no change in texture or taste. I think the stuff's pretty indestructable.
#24 Old 03-31-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

That's a pretty good one. I also recently found this one

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...c.php?id=15959

which is for baked (not boiled) seitan, and it turned out very well. I shocked some people by bringing a sandwich with slices of this - they thought I was eating sliced sausage

The original "wheat meat" recipe on the gluten flour bag (I only tried the "washing out regular flour procedure" once, and quickly decided to buy wheat gluten instead) would be inedible, too (never tried it, but can sure tell from reading it).

I tried this recipe today! Thanks for the link, very zesty (I used a little bit more cayenne). The texture was a lot more palatable and the outside was crispy.
#25 Old 04-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Beginner

I think I officially give up. I have once again made bodgy seitan (I baked it and made it from scratch so have sore arms from knead knead kneading and it came out all holey like dry bread). Sigh, gross dinner again for me (yes, I've tried that ppk one but it came out holey for me too and was too spicy)
#26 Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

But the ppk seitan ISN'T spicy at ALL!
#27 Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

ok i tried the baked recipe from the ppk site, i did change the spices around though because the combo didnt appeal to me, but anyway, i havent tried it yet, but it looks like a heavy little loaf of bread to me. i will report back later on it.LOL
#28 Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

But the ppk seitan ISN'T spicy at ALL!

Whoops, I was talking about the baked one, sorry should've clarified that! I think maybe I just don't like seitan. I choked it down last night and I STILL can't get past the mentality that I am eating nothing more than glue Even though it didn't taste like glue, must just be me.
#29 Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

you might want to switch brands of vital wheat gluten (or vital wheat gluten flour). i made it one time and it smelled like glue or raw dough or something horrible but then switched brands and it was fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page