VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Best stuff to eat first thing in the morning... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/63303-best-stuff-eat-first-thing-morning.html)

jbischke 03-17-2007 05:40 PM

I'm getting pretty dialed in on the nutrition front but still haven't settled on what I want to eat when I wake up in the morning. In the past I've tried a number of things including pineapple, oatmeal, etc. For a while I was doing only fruit but spiking the ol' GI first thing in the day is probably not wise. I think Tony Robbins suggested starting the day with broccoli. I believe Steve Pavlina said he starts the day with an organic fuji apple. So it's a bit of controversial subject.

Anyone looked into this or have any thoughts?

LaurieSny 03-17-2007 06:11 PM

I have a friend who is a nutritionist (83 years old) who is a very healthy vegetarian and gives health lectures across the country. She told me the best thing to do is eat red, white and blue in the morning (red-raspberries, cranberries or strawberries (frozen is fine), white-oatmeal, cream of wheat, or rice and blue-blueberries (frozen fine). She told me that gets the anti-oxidants going, the vitamins and the fiber that is like a sponge and keeps you going (maybe to the bathroom) all thru the day. She says this is one of the best ways to keep your nutrition punched up for brain power.

LS

jbischke 03-17-2007 06:34 PM

Nice. Lower glycemic stuff in the morning like oatmeal seems to make sense. White rice doesn't seem like that great of an idea. Brown rice probably would be better.

I've been typically eating an Organic food bar (Vegan or Flax) in the morning and then following with a green smoothie an hour or two later. Seems to do the trick for me but I'm always looking to optimize.

specialK12 03-17-2007 08:21 PM

jb i eat tinned organic beans .............. and oats in the morning with fresh strawberries..... i think its healthy! if i dont have the beans which i do most days i just swap that for organic yoghurt

specialK12 03-17-2007 08:23 PM

that was mixed bean by the way..... kidney,chick,lima and butter

jeneticallymodified 03-17-2007 08:46 PM

if you wanted to go the beans route, veg*n canned baked beans (preferably low sugar/juice sweetened) on some wholemeal toast, probably wouldn't be a bad idea. mmmm... beans on toast! in england you can get baked beans with diddy veggie sausages in em, which i also remember being yummy on toast. you could have a piece of fruit with it as dessert, or a little juice to drink, maybe?

or you could go with a tofu and veggie scramble, with a different bread (i like cornbread or flatbread wraps) for a variation on the beans and bread combo.

nookle 03-18-2007 09:43 AM

I've been eating oatmeal with some cinnamon stirred into the dry oats before they go in the water, and then stirring in about a cup of frozen blueberries in the last minute or so of cooking time. I then eat it with banana, soymilk or almond milk, some wheat germ, and some ground flax. Yumms.

Oh- - I also stir in a spoon of Brown sugar or maple syrup before I put it in my bowl.

nori_roll 03-18-2007 06:40 PM

Oatmeal with fruit definitely keeps me full but energized- I also eat oat bran instead of oatmeal often because it is higher in protein and fiber.

I also find something like a high fiber tortilla (like la tortilla factory), 1 tbsp of peanut butter, and some fruit makes a great wrap that keeps me full.

HandcuffedAngel 03-18-2007 06:43 PM

I love oatmeal with almond milk. Mmm ...

4EverGrounded 03-19-2007 10:40 AM

A FAT morning salad with lots of beans and nuts in it (among other things).

flvegnewbie 03-19-2007 04:37 PM

I like a hummus/mixed veggie whole wheat pita for breakfast.

I also like a couple slices of sprouted grain bread with a touch of natural p.butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, oatmeal, brown rice, a scrambled egg breakfast burrito on a whole wheat tortilla, granola, etc.

HTH,

Michelle

Seb_0810 03-19-2007 05:32 PM

Have a little maple syrup in somewhere in your breakfast. Its sweet delicious taste will put you in a good mood on even the most foul, sullen morning.

Dirty Martini 03-19-2007 06:44 PM

whole grain, high-protein cereal with soymilk.

Like Kashi Go Lean.

April 03-19-2007 09:06 PM

I like to have about a cup of plain, whole milk yogurt with 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds, some raisins, and chopped walnuts. Probiotics, antioxidants, omega 3, fiber, protein, flavor!

michey 03-20-2007 01:54 PM

I love oatmeal. But latley I've been having a homemade flour tortilla filled with fruit, like peaches or mandarin oranges, and milled flaxseed. Maybe a bit of Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter if I'm in the mood.

BlindLemonPep'r 03-20-2007 06:46 PM

I like having a fruit smoothie. Quick, easy, measured, etc, blah-blah-blah, and so forth.