Favorite Asian market finds? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Beginner

I hit up a huge Asian supermarket last night and was amazed at the selection of tofu, sauces, veggies, etc. My favorite find was pre-fried tofu triangles, a perfect shortcut for when I don't have time to press & marinate.

Does anyone else out there shop an Asian market? What are your favorite finds? I was overwhelmed by the selection of unfamilar but veg-friendly ingredients and I know there must be 1001 things there that I should try. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Canned seitan (gluten) for stir fries. I believe I use "Chow Pow Yu" on occasion. Their mock meats in general are good. Watch out for eggs if you're vegan.
#3 Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Canned seitan (gluten) for stir fries.

What section is this in? I looked all over the place for seitan and couldn't find it. Is it known by another name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Look for cans labeled "Mock Duck" or "Mock Chicken" or "Mock Pork"
#5 Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Frozen dumplings (lots of vegan options), vegetarian oyster and mushroom sauce makes a delicious base for stirfry noodle dishes, canned curry mixes, yummy yummy yummy.
#6 Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy sesame oil and rice vinegar, rice/rice paper/rice noodles/rice nuggets, produce, and nori/seaweeds. i also get tapioca starch and sweet rice flour. and all in all, i spend about 2$ because it's SO darn well priced!
#7 Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muse View Post

What section is this in? I looked all over the place for seitan and couldn't find it. Is it known by another name?

companion brand is a good one to look for.

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index...OD&ProdID=2967
#8 Old 03-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

DURIAN!!!! It's a huge fruit that they keep in the freezer. It is brownish colored and looks sort of like a porcupine because it has spikes on it. The flesh inside is creamy and it has a weird sweetish taste, but also tastes sort of sulfer-like. It's hard to explain, but it is one of the most delicious things I ever tasted. The first time I had it, I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not, but I definitely didn't consider it a favorite. But then, a couple months after I had it for the first time, I just started getting massive cravings for it and I went to the Asian market and got one and tasted it and LOVED it. It became my favorite food and I can eat a whole one at once! One time I actually ate 2 at once!!!! They are amazing!
#9 Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

isn't Durian stinky though?
#10 Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM

I couldn't live without asian supermarkets, I get lots of stuff there, sauces, noodles, oils, tofu, canned and dried mock meats, spring rolls. But one thing I buy there that I cant find anywhere else is white and black dried fungus. It's great for putting in soups.
#11 Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Asian markets are my new best friend.
#12 Old 03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Agar agar! Yay for hoof/bone-free jello!
#13 Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I can't wait for my next trip tomorrow, I hope I can find the canned mock meat & Durian!

P.S. I LOVE the dried fungus!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page