VeggieBoards banner

I'm a tater-dummy! Help with green things on not green veggies.

930 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  berrykat 
#1 ·
I'm relatively new to cooking white potatoes.
I don't really like them unless they're in oven fry/hash brown form. I hate baked and mashed potatoes. I tolerate them in soups and other recipes if they aren't too squishy. My bf, however, loves potatoes, and since he is willing to eat veg at home, I try to incorporate more ingredients I know he likes, so I've been cooking with them more often. My concern is that I've heard bad things about potatoes with green. How much green? Sometimes it's a little green under the skin, or the skin has a slightly greenish hue in places, but I hate to peel them because the skin has all the nutrients. Sometimes they don't look greenish in the store but I cut them and there is a greenish tinge around the outside, just under the skin. Are they still usable? Give me the skinny on greenish taters!! Also, how many eyes are ok to cut off before I should just toss the potato? And for that matter, what about green garlic? I got some greenish garlic recently..

Man this got long. lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
If they are green under the skin, you're supposed to throw them away because it means they are producing this stuff called solanine, which can make you ill. Supposedly though, you have to eat a large amount of potatoes/solanine to get sick/poisoned.

If you Google "green potatoes", you can find some pretty reputable sites with info (universities, etc.).

I've had them before where the skin seemed tinged, and I just peeled it off and was fine. I'm not sure if eating the skin would've made me sick though.

When you say they don't look greenish in the store, but they do at home...are you using them right away? Potatoes can go bad quickly if they're not kept somewhere cool, dark and particularly, dry.

<<<hasn't yet met a potato that she doesn't like

As for the garlic, I've not seen it greenish ever, but um, yeah. Blech.

#4 ·
have you tried different types of potatoes? i don't like brown potatoes but i like red ones (or, at least, don't mind eating them). but either way, mashed i can't do (except mashed sweet potatoes).

i don't know about the green tho--i've never really noticed that with the red potatoes i buy (not that i buy them that often..).

#5 ·
Potatoes which have green spots basically weren't buried enough - the parts which get sun turn green. The potatoes I've had (homegrown) with that, I've just cut off that part, or peeled it off. I haven't had experience with green insides - I'd probably pitch them, though. You can cut off lots of eyes (they're just the places where roots would grow if you planted them) without any problem. When you get tired of cutting the out is when to pitch the potato. If they grow roots, you can just break off the roots and cook as usual, too.

My experience with green garlic is that it's garlic that's sprouting. I keep my garlic in the freezer to help it last longer without sprouting. If it's sprouted too much, I'll pitch it, but a little bit of green on the inside won't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.