I'm a tater-dummy! Help with green things on not green veggies. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm relatively new to cooking white potatoes. I don't really like them unless they're in oven fry/hash brown form. I hate baked and mashed potatoes. I tolerate them in soups and other recipes if they aren't too squishy. My bf, however, loves potatoes, and since he is willing to eat veg at home, I try to incorporate more ingredients I know he likes, so I've been cooking with them more often. My concern is that I've heard bad things about potatoes with green. How much green? Sometimes it's a little green under the skin, or the skin has a slightly greenish hue in places, but I hate to peel them because the skin has all the nutrients. Sometimes they don't look greenish in the store but I cut them and there is a greenish tinge around the outside, just under the skin. Are they still usable? Give me the skinny on greenish taters!! Also, how many eyes are ok to cut off before I should just toss the potato? And for that matter, what about green garlic? I got some greenish garlic recently..

Man this got long. lol.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2007, 05:03 AM

If they are green under the skin, you're supposed to throw them away because it means they are producing this stuff called solanine, which can make you ill. Supposedly though, you have to eat a large amount of potatoes/solanine to get sick/poisoned.

If you Google "green potatoes", you can find some pretty reputable sites with info (universities, etc.).

I've had them before where the skin seemed tinged, and I just peeled it off and was fine. I'm not sure if eating the skin would've made me sick though.

When you say they don't look greenish in the store, but they do at home...are you using them right away? Potatoes can go bad quickly if they're not kept somewhere cool, dark and particularly, dry.

<<<hasn't yet met a potato that she doesn't like

As for the garlic, I've not seen it greenish ever, but um, yeah. Blech.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw the same info by googling green potatoes. I will mention that I have always cut the green parts off and use the rest of the potato. I have never gotten sick from it. Same thing with the eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

have you tried different types of potatoes? i don't like brown potatoes but i like red ones (or, at least, don't mind eating them). but either way, mashed i can't do (except mashed sweet potatoes).

i don't know about the green tho--i've never really noticed that with the red potatoes i buy (not that i buy them that often..).
#5 Old 02-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Potatoes which have green spots basically weren't buried enough - the parts which get sun turn green. The potatoes I've had (homegrown) with that, I've just cut off that part, or peeled it off. I haven't had experience with green insides - I'd probably pitch them, though. You can cut off lots of eyes (they're just the places where roots would grow if you planted them) without any problem. When you get tired of cutting the out is when to pitch the potato. If they grow roots, you can just break off the roots and cook as usual, too.

My experience with green garlic is that it's garlic that's sprouting. I keep my garlic in the freezer to help it last longer without sprouting. If it's sprouted too much, I'll pitch it, but a little bit of green on the inside won't hurt.
#6 Old 02-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

ever eat a green potato chip?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page