Tofu scramble - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I was planning on make breakfast burritos, I don't usually eat breakfast. I try but i'm just not that hungry or I don't have time to make anything. The last few months i've had yougurt and green tea for breakfast.

But anyway, I wanted to make tofu scramble and put it in tortillas that tofu scrambler that I usually use (fantastic foods) has discountined it. Is there another brand that I could try, I have everything to make it with, I just need the seasoning. Otherwise i'll just take back everything that I bought for it, I won't have any use for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I always make my own. Tofu, green pepper, onion in olive oil, salt & pepper to taste.
#3 Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

When I make mine, I press out the excess water from the tofu, (with some paper towels), I crumble the tofu in a fry/saute pan with a small amount of olive oil/earth balance spread. I add chopped onion and leftover baked potato to mine, salt, pepper to taste. I guess you could leave out the potato if want to put it in a burrito. I never had the brand of tofu scramble you mentioned, so I don't know what it tastes like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

It was really good, I didn't know it would still taste good without the packet. It has a lot of spices in it but i'm not sure exactly what all of them were. I know tumeric for sure to make it yellow maybe garlic.
#5 Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 PM

Here are the ingredients for tofu scambler, if that helps you to decide what to put in it.

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/catalo...?product_id=61

I just add whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for when I make tofu scrambles, but I like to add curry powder. I'd experiment until I find something I like.
#6 Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It's certainly worth a try isn't it? That's what cooking (from scratch) is really all about. TRY things. If you don't like it, figure out what to change... and try again.

The tofu scrambler package mix didn't sell well because most people make (and prefer to make) their own.
#7 Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

In addition to bell pepper & onion, I like adding salt, pepper, cayenne, turmeric, and.... I think that's it. Oh, sometimes roma tomatoes.
#8 Old 02-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I forgot (since I was making it last night), I also add a handful of spinach or kale to bump the nutrition.
#9 Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll try it tomorrow, thanks everyone!
#10 Old 02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're experimenting with spices, try things like oregano, sea salt and rosemary, or fresh dill and chives. I also love adding nutritional yeast to tofu scrambles.

I think I want to make one tommorow morning!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#11 Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Made one for breakfast this morning. Crumbled tofu and mised it with tumeric, garlic powder, celery salt, lemon pepper, and creole seasoning. Let it absorb the flavors while I stirfried onion, mushrooms, a bit of shredded potato, broccoli, and a bit of finely diced carrot and Chinese pea pods. Added the tofu at the very end and just let it heat through. Good, easy, and relatively quick. The leftovers will get reheated and stuffed in w.w. pita bread later in the week.
#12 Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a lazy bum, I went to spiral diner today and I found out that they jar their tofu scramble so I bought theres lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page