Best recipes using tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 PM

I like the "meatier" texture tofu's like you buy at the store. How do you make this? Bake, fry, etc? What flavors do you use to marinate? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you all like the idea
#3 Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Beginner

I take mine out of the container, wrap it up and throw it in the freezer. I usually have around 2 or more hanging out in there. I take it out and let it thaw then I put it between two plates and stack something heavy on top. The water presses out of the tofu and every 5 minutes or so I tip the plates and let the water drain off. I only press it for around 20 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The best way to get that "meaty" texture is to freeze it. I drain it slightly, slice it, wrap each slice, and put them in the freezer. To thaw, unwrap the slice, put it in a bowl with hot/boiling water and let it sit for 5 minutes (maybe more). Take it out of the water and squeeze the water out of it (a dishtowel works well for this). I haven't tried to marinate it for freezing, though.
#5 Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM

There's a super-easy Nava Atlas recipe that I love. It has a "meaty" enough texture to satisfy my omni husband. I call them Tofu Fingers. She calls it Shake & Bake tofu. Take a block of firm or extra firm tofu. Slice it into a bunch of "finger" sized slices. (I do 16, cut the block in 8 slices, then cut those in half the long way) Blot them with a lint-free or paper towel. Mix a 1/4 cup wheat germ with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp salt free seasoning of your choice such as Spike or Mrs. Dash. I use a store brand garlic and herb Mrs Dash knock off. Toss the fingers in the mixture. Either put in a container and shake, or just dredge them in the mixture. Grease a baking sheet (non-stick spray, cooking oil, whatever) Bake the "fingers" at 425 for about 15 minutes until golden brown, and nice and firm.

I love this recipe for several reasons. It's soooo easy. No draining, pressing, etc. I can make it in about 20 minutes. It's really cheap! Hardly any ingredients, and I pretty much always have them on hand! My husband likes it! It's egg, dairy, and pretty much oil free so it's great for Lent and vegans! I like them plain, but you can dip them in all kinds of tasty sauces and they're even more fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page