Oh no i ate gelitan!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I cant beileve its not butter, I never bothered to look at the ingredients(stupid me) well I happen to just now, I was shocked to see it contained geliton. I feel sick now at the thought.

Is there such a thing as vegetarian/vegan butter replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

Earth Balance!!!!

Yummy!
#3 Old 02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, there are many, you will just have to read the labels. Most will have whey (milk product), but some are totally vegan. Many of us here use Earth Balance which you may only find in a health food store, but I've seen in it regular stores. However we had some debate about it recently.

I have also used kosher pareve margarines like Mother's(again, read the label) when I needed something in a pinch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

There's GELATIN in that stuff???? (I can't believe it's not butter)

So even though it's "not butter", they still had to take something from the cow?

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

There's GELATIN in that stuff???? (I can't believe it's not butter)

So even though it's "not butter", they still had to take something from the cow?

yes i was shocked too. what happened was i was helping my mom make dinner when she asked me to hand her the "i cant beileve its not butter" which we use all the time. I never thought to look at the ingredients(yeah im kicking myself now) even though I normaly am very good at remembering to do that. Well, I happen to look cause i was curious to see if it was vegan. I for some reason assumed it was vegetarian. I was so shocked! I had no idea i had been eating gelatin forever. I of course refused to eat it anymore.
#6 Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" also has whey in it.

I think gelatin, as a highly processed and refined by-product is far less than whey; some people hardly consider gelatin an actual "animal" product, though it still creeps me out and I try not to consume either one.

Smart Balance Organic and Smart Balance Light, all Earth Balance, Willow Run, and Nucoa (which is a cheapie, almost generic brand) all are animal free.
#7 Old 02-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Smart Balance Organic and Smart Balance Light, all Earth Balance, Willow Run, and Nucoa (which is a cheapie, almost generic brand) all are animal free.

Don't they test on animals?
#8 Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Which ones are you referring to? Willow Run and Nucoa do not, to my knowledge - I mean, I've looked on the web and never found anything.

Smart/Earth Balance products don't test on animals. (Didn't we just cover this in another thread?) They never did. They are "guilty" however of useing the results of an independant study (which was done on animals) for developing their product, but it was done by another company and not paid for or affiliated with them.
#9 Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I have also used kosher pareve margarines like Mother's(again, read the label) when I needed something in a pinch.

"pareve" means no animal flesh or dairy. but you have to trust the vad. (certifier)
#10 Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Fish gelitan is pareve, by the way. Those labels are for the Jewish, not vegans.
#11 Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

actually, it is MEAT geleatin, execpt for porcine, that is kosher/pareve, but traditionally not used IN a pareve product, per OU.

Star K is indecisive.

Those are the big two that nonJews would notice.

pareve means neither milk nor meat. that leaves the sticky world of eggs.

still, parve is a good label indicator that it is worth it to read microscopic printing of an ingredients label.
#12 Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM

I just read the ingredients for I can't believe it's not butter Light, gelatin is not listed.
#13 Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

On the website FAQs this is posted:

Why is gelatin used in some of the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! Spreads and what is its source?
The source of our gelatin is animal protein and it is processed according to high standards of purity. Gelatin is used in the lower fat spreads to provide a pleasing texture and consistency. It is used to both thicken and to stabilize the low fat spreads in order to maintain the desired texture.

Smart Balance Light with Flaxseed is however vegan and it says so on the lable. Organic SB also is vegan but it's not available in my area anymore.
Just in case price is a factor. Otherwise I'd go with Earth Balance.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page