Juicing is bad for you? Do you agree? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

After reading Rawgetarian.com I am convinced that juicing is bad. Also. they talk about how eating avocado pits and pineapple stems are good.. what is anyones opinion on this site? They seem to know their stuff.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

What are their reasons for saying that juicing is bad?
#3 Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 AM

I don't see why drinking fruit juice would be bad for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I took a bit of a look at the site. This is the very beginning, from their JUICER page:

Quote:
Please do not get the impression that we are against juicing. We just want to let people know that it is not the "Magic Cure" that it is advertised to be. We want you to understand the facts about juicing and want you to be sure a juicer is what you need. We have been juicing for many years and have experienced and tested probably every juicer their is on the market and only sell the best in its class.

We do not like the way that juicers are being marketed. You do not get the phytochemicals and anti-oxidants that help certain objectives in juice unless its juiced in a certain way... and I DO not mean by drinking it directly out of a juicer... That's the worst way to drink it... fresh out of a juicer. That is a waste of time and food. The juice that you don't get from a juicer is stage 2 juice which is all in the pulp which is usually thrown down the drain. You do NOT have to eat the pulp or even blend it to get Stage 2 juice. We aren't saying blending is the only way to get the phytochemicals.

http://sitekreator.com/rawfoodadvantage/juicers.html

It's a long article. And, at the bottom, they have quite a few juicers listed for sale. So, apparently juicing isn't that bad.
#5 Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, you're discarding most of the fibre that was in whatever you're juicing and possibly taking in more sugar in one sitting than you'd be able to if you were eating the whole fruit or vegetable. I can't drink things like apple juice, which actually makes me hungry, so I stick some fruit in a mug and blend it with plant milk and a bit of lemon juice.

Didn't manage to get through the screed on the website, I'm afraid, but let's say I've accidentally ended up with pineapple stem in my pina colada and picking the fibre out from inbetween your teeth is great fun
#6 Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I just started my juice fast yesterday (so maybe I am a bit biased). My thread is under the raw food forum. I have never met a raw foodist (I know many of those!) who thinks that juicing is bad for you.

One of the main ideas behind juicing is to get the nutrition of a lot of fruit or vegetables that you probably couldn't eat in one setting. For example, yesterday I had a big glass of apple ginger juice - It took four apples to make it. I am not eating four apples in one sitting.

I mean it takes a lot of carrots to create the amount of juice in glass of carrot juice - Could you eat all those carrots in one sitting? Probably not.

Another idea is that when you just drink liquids it gives your body a chance to rest from digesting solid foods. Alot of energy goes into that. And most of us eat a lot of solid foods.

This site is written kind of strangely to me. I mean, why is this person selling juicers and that kind of being down on juicing? One thing I noticed is that they said 'I am tired of the scams they tell you to get you to buy a more expensive juicer.' Well, the juicers she recommends are her most expensive!

Most people that do alot of juicing that I know of (and I am not one of them - I rarely drink freshly squeezed juice which is why this juice fast is definately getting me into it) save the pulp and use them for something else.

Also, people who juice also eat other things - I don't know any one who just eats juice and that is it (i am sure there are people - I don't know any of them).

My bf looked at this site and thought it to be a bit ridiculous. He knows alot about juicing, rawfoods etc. and knows alot of raw foodists (even ones with phd's) whom none have said anything like this.

Also the part about the apple - is pretty much wrong. I think even most scientists would agree that the reason the apple turns brown is because it is exposed to oxygen. I mean, this person is not a scientist or a doctor so how does she come to these conclusions?

All in all, she does sell some of the top of the line juicers (green star is a good juicer) but I am sure you can get it cheaper else where. My bf got his from David Wolfe (a famous raw foodist) for half that price.

I wouldn't let this site throw you off of juicing either. I wouldn't exist on just juice but there is definately nothing wrong with drinking fresh squeezed juice. But eating the fruit and veggies whole is also good for you.

I have some minor digestive problems so right now my stomach feels pretty good (and it is nice and flat now as opposed to being bloated) with no solid food in it. So, this is a nice rest for my stomach.
#7 Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Jenna: Am I the only one who finds the wording of that paragraph confusing?
#8 Old 01-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

The main cons of juicing I've heard or read are basically what Snow White said-- you lose the fiber, and while you concentrate valuable micronutrients, you also concentrate sugar, which is why the NIH is down on parents giving their children juice all the time.
#9 Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Jenna: Am I the only one who finds the wording of that paragraph confusing?

No, sir. The whole article is a tad bit confusing, but I thought maybe it was just me. I think it's weird they're against juicing for so many reasons (if I understood them correctly) but they're selling juicers and ones that most other websites/stores are selling, too.

As far as the pulp goes, whenever I juice, I always save it. I freeze it for using in a smoothie later or some sort of recipe. Depending on what the pulp is from, it can used in crackers, too.

And with the sugar content, I'm not well versed in that, but couldn't you juice some leafy greens to help counteract the concentration of sugar?

I'm not at all convinced that drinking 100% fresh juice is bad for you. I know quite a number of people that have done more than one juice fast. Since we are talking about raw foodists (mainly) I have to mention Storm Talifero from http://www.thegardendiet.com who goes on 2 week orange juice fasts. I'm not exactly sure how many he's done, but he's in incredible shape. He's just one example.
#10 Old 01-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

No, sir. The whole article is a tad bit confusing, but I thought maybe it was just me. I think it's weird they're against juicing for so many reasons (if I understood them correctly) but they're selling juicers and ones that most other websites/stores are selling, too.

they arent against juicing--they are against juicing the wrong way. if you buy their juicers then YOU can do it the right way!
#11 Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

it's an ad site, and I wonder if the OP was not simple buzz marketing.

one thing I'll say for sure, I'd not take advice from someone who does not edit the text of a Web page (oh, wait, the faster it went up, the faster they make money)

my wheat grass juicer is metal, not medal.

and if they buy back juicers what happens to them?

do they resell them?
#12 Old 01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I disagree with the article.

I think juicing is excellent, unless you are diabetic (juice lacks fiber, thereby raising blood sugar issue possibilities) and continue juicing excessive fruits or carrots. It's a good, concentrated form of vitamins and minerals. Lowfat and healthy.

Too much of a good thing can be not so good, though.

I wouldn't recommend living on nothing but juice for extended periods of time, although fasting can be healing in the short term.
#13 Old 01-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

-------------------

I assumed this is exactly what they were doing. Doubly so since this is their one and only posts.

I picked up on the "medal" too. Heh.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 01-19-2007, 05:27 PM

I always thought it was good for you.
#15 Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the bad web paging editing was another bad thing. Plus, I can't stand it when people do webpages in different fonts and colors in the same whole long text... Very hard to read..They get an F- in web page presentation!

As far as juicing goes, I am on my 7th day (my last day!) of my juice fast and I am feelin' fine. I feel like my body has had a chance to catch with some rest and healing. I don't plan on getting rid of my juicer anytime soon!
#16 Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

truepeacenik "I'd not take advice from someone who does not edit the text of a Web page (oh, wait, the faster it went up, the faster they make money)

my wheat grass juicer is metal, not medal."

I think you are nitpicking truepeacenik. Maybe they just mispelled metal. Big deal. The wrest they write has with coorect speeling, use good gramer, the clear thought, and is writen eloquent. For example, look at this they write, it is sturdy and eloquently:

"They say you should not buy a high speed juicer because it will oxidize the nutrients... or heat it and kill the vitamins and enzymes... They tell you to get a slow speed juicer that doesn't put air in the juice or even go to the extent about talking about magnants...what will they think of next!"

Indeed, what will the author think of next! After juicers that put air in the juice and talk. Talk about magnants no less. What else would juicers talk about. You wouldn't expect juicers to talk about things that humans talk about.
#17 Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I think you are nitpicking truepeacenik. Maybe they just mispelled metal. Big deal. The wrest they write has with coorect speeling, use good gramer, the clear thought, and is writen eloquent. For example, look at this they write, it is sturdy and eloquently:

Spell check:

mispelled = misspelled

coorect = correct

speeling = spelling

gramer = grammar

writen = written

"The wrest" = (is this supposed to be) "The rest"

Did you do this on purpose to be funny?

I don't agree that the webpage is written eloquently. I had a hard time reading it. (I found tons of grammar errors).

(an unedited webpage is considered to be a major flaw in e-commerce - but that is off the topic of this post )
#18 Old 01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I don't agree that the webpage is written eloquently. I had a hard time reading it. (I found tons of grammar errors).

(an unedited webpage is considered to be a major flaw in e-commerce - but that is off the topic of this post )

Might want to check the batteries in your irony detector But yes, I usually skip pages that are poorly edited. It's distracting and I don't have that much patience.

Quote:
I think juicing is excellent, unless you are diabetic (juice lacks fiber, thereby raising blood sugar issue possibilities)

Thing is, even people who aren't diabetic will get hungry fairly quickly afterwards when blood glucose dips slightly following the initial spike. That's probably fine for some people, but I tend to end up with a headache as a result, so I steer clear.
#19 Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

when juicing only a fraction of the original vitamins and minerals make it through the process. i guess it you added all the pulp back it would be healthly. but if you dont add any pulp back its not really that much healthier then sucking down a couple teaspoons of white sugar
#20 Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Banned

"when juicing only a fraction of the original vitamins and minerals make it through the process. i guess it you added all the pulp back it would be healthly. but if you dont add any pulp back its not really that much healthier then sucking down a couple teaspoons of white sugar"

Actually, a good percentage of the micronutrients do make it into the juice. And the part that makes it into the juice, is easier for our disgestive systems to extract. Extracting micronutrients from those bound up in the pulp, is much harder. Most of those micronutrients are passed out, along with the pulp. The only disadvantage to juicing is that the pulp does have value as "bulk" which helps the peristalisis of the intestines, and helps exercise the teeth, strengthening the peridontal ligaments, and it helps exercise the temporalis muscle. I think juicing both root vegetables, stems-vegetables, leafy vegetables, and ovary vegetables, is a terrific idea, in moderation.
#21 Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Just to let everyone know.. I havent sold a juicer in 2 years...

About my grammer... what is everyones problem. I never said I made an A in inglish class.. I actually made a D- in english.

My new site is Blindguru.com.. I can't wait to see all the negitive comments that people are going to say about my new site.

Also..my site is a private website and is sort of like my private journal that is available to the public to see.

Its funny how people judge people.
#22 Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it only seems natural to believe that juice from a plant is not as nutritious as eating the real deal. The only exception I would see is things like grass, where eating the real thing is just impractical or even impossible. I wouldn't say it is unhealthy, but I would definitely say that it is not AS healthy. Certainly most americans could improve their diets just by eating good quality fresh squeezed organic juices in my opinion, but I think they could do even better than that!

I am more interested to hear about peoples thoughts on the avocado pits and pineapple stems personally. I have started hearing this from other sources as well. WTF? Sounds crazy to me to toss an avocado pit into a $400 blender. From what I have heard though some people say it is good for you. Anyone else have opinions on these sorts of things? Avodaco pits, pineapple stems, apple seeds, apricot pits, etc?
#23 Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

one thing I'll say for sure, I'd not take advice from someone who does not edit the text of a Web page (oh, wait, the faster it went up, the faster they make money)

and if they buy back juicers what happens to them?

do they resell them?

Yep...kind of like an online infomercial.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#24 Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Bottom Line: You came here to promote an ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%rawvegan View Post

Just to let everyone know.. I havent sold a juicer in 2 years...

About my grammer... what is everyones problem. I never said I made an A in inglish class.. I actually made a D- in english.

My new site is Blindguru.com.. I can't wait to see all the negitive comments that people are going to say about my new site.

Also..my site is a private website and is sort of like my private journal that is available to the public to see.

Its funny how people judge people.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page